Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The uncommon condiment thread

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    What exactly is HP Sauce? I was in a specialty chocolate shop that carries a lot of English products last weekend where I overheard a couple have a fit over the fact that the shop had HP Sauce. Judging from how they went on and on about it I figured that it must be good stuff, but at $10.00 a bottle I decided to leave it there. So is it worth the price or is it just A1 with an accent?
    Whoever organizes the Secrete Santa next year is going to have to make sure you get a Canadian or UK member.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by undergrad planner
    At the risk of starting off another thread, what do people put on their hot dogs?
    must have:
    deli style/spicy mustard
    onions

optional add-on (depends on my mood):

chili & cheese (w melted Velveeta/CheezWhiz)
    kraut & relish

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    On hotdogs? I dont eat them but I do eat brats and I love them with spicey mustard and saurkraut...mmmmm I am getting hungry!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I used to sprinkle a cereal called Concentrate on coffee or chocolate ice cream. It was heavenly. Then Kellogg's quit making the cereal about 15 years ago.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    On hotdogs? I dont eat them but I do eat brats and I love them with spicey mustard and saurkraut...mmmmm I am getting hungry!!!
    Spicey mustard is a must. I also use it on my potatoes, along with blue cheese dressing or ranch . Now I'm hungry, what's for breakfast?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Spicey mustard is a must. I also use it on my potatoes, along with blue cheese dressing or ranch . Now I'm hungry, what's for breakfast?
    I'm starving too andI have a sick kid in the house so I cant go get anything to eat its either pizza or chinese...neither sound good after talking aobut brats with spicy mustard!!!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Jaxspra

Just to kill your appetite and save your sanity, I went to Glasgow, Scotland, 3 weeks ago. While there I went to a chip shop (sells burgers, haggis and other unmentionables), and had a deep fried mars bar in batter. It was a very odd taste sensation. Its a local delicacy which is only found in the more downtrodden establishments. It must be said this was at the end of the night after the pubs had shut.

To add to the argument:- my own personal favorite is curry sauce over my chips.

Like many, I put hot sauce on and in just about everything. I also have some Balsalmic Vinegar Glaze from Trader Joes that I dump on all kinds of stuff including veggies, meat (very good on steak), chicken, potatoes...whatever.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Spicey mustard is a must.
    I don't like mustard. I don't like it at all.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I don't like mustard. I don't like it at all.
    Then you wouldn't like it at Chez Maister. At any given time we have anywhere from 6 -12 DIFFERENT types of mustard on hand. Being the German cuisine connoisueres that we are we need 'em all. Gotta have that thick, finely ground pasty yellow Dusseldorf with the knackwurst or a light brown coursely ground sweet hot mustard for the Weisswurst, or mild but substantive Boetje for the brats. Man, I'm droolin' just thinking about it!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2004
    As Tranplanner said, HP sauce is brown sauce by any other name. Quite a spicy sauce based on molasses I believe, and, again as Tranplanner said, is pure quality with fried food (or words to that effect).

$10 is pushing it a bit though, especially when you can buy a decent bottle here for about 50p (30c?)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    I never knew before that Marmite and Vegemite were one and the same. (
    They are not the same!!! That's like mixing up Aussies and Kiwis! To the unititiated, they may seem similar, but I hate Marmite and like Vegemite. Marmite is sweeter, while Vegemite is more salty.

The 'Marmite/Vegemite - which is better?' debate is an old one round these parts... people who use the stuff tend to favour one or the other, not both.

I hope that's cleared that up!!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    They are not the same!!! That's like mixing up Aussies and Kiwis! To the unititiated, they may seem similar, but I hate Marmite and like Vegemite. Marmite is sweeter, while Vegemite is more salty.

The 'Marmite/Vegemite - which is better?' debate is an old one round these parts... people who use the stuff tend to favour one or the other, not both.

I hope that's cleared that up!!
    Sorry JNL and thanks!

So I was right all along.....

And I wouldn't dare mix up the Aussies and the Kiwis

Registered
    Feb 2003
    syrup on my hash browns or american fries
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My step-son dips his freedom fries in a Frosty shake from Wendy's.

A friend of mine from Montreal (which really explains a lot) likes fries with vinegar or fries with gravy. I like fries with gravy, too.

When I cook a turkey the cold turkey sandwiches I eat the next day are on buttered bread with salt on them. That is the only salt that I ever sprinkle on anything. (You get enuf salt in all the other foods you buy.)

On my cheesburgs I like mustard, ketchup, pickle, lettuce. No like mayo.

On my dawgs I like either brown hot mustard OR kraut.

And, yes, I eat duck blood soup, too. I gotta find my dad's recipe and make some.

Bear In The Condo
    Occupy Cyburbia!

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Boru
    Jaxspra

Just to kill your appetite and save your sanity, I went to Glasgow, Scotland, 3 weeks ago. While there I went to a chip shop (sells burgers, haggis and other unmentionables), and had a deep fried mars bar in batter. It was a very odd taste sensation. Its a local delicacy which is only found in the more downtrodden establishments. It must be said this was at the end of the night after the pubs had shut.

To add to the argument:- my own personal favorite is curry sauce over my chips.
    The deep-fried Mars bars made an appearance at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto last summer amongst the concession stands after they had made their debut in a news story. I had passed a few of them thinking maybe . . . I passed them up, but was somewhat surprised by the line-ups for the stuff.

Back to condiments, whenever I can get my hands on some HP, I'll add it to burgers or fries. Haven't had the chance to try it on a hot dog or sausage though.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The deep-fried Mars bars made an appearance at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto last summer amongst the concession stands after they had made their debut in a news story. I had passed a few of them thinking maybe . . . I passed them up, but was somewhat surprised by the line-ups for the stuff.

Back to condiments, whenever I can get my hands on some HP, I'll add it to burgers or fries. Haven't had the chance to try it on a hot dog or sausage though.
    I seemed to have missed these British delacacies when I was in Britain. Is this fried mars bar dipped in anything or just deep fried?

As for HP sauce I know I've seen it a Wegmans, a supermarket chain in upstate NY.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Its coated in batter. then deep fried. I tried it as a tourist delicacy, but it is consumend with vigour by the locals. You'll suffer a coronary at a very early age if you eat too many of them.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    There are one or two fish and chip shops in Toronto that serve deep fried Mars bars, so it's not too late to try one!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm my uncommon condiment is... none... as in I cook with as less condiments as possible. BBQ? Meat with a little salt... nothing more. Forget about your disgusting BBQ sauces and all that mumbo jumbo.

Scrambled eggs only need a bit of oil so they don't get stuck in the pan. Salt is useless...

Oh.. and I like it like that... although I guess it's just because I have a history of hypertension and cardiovascular problems in my family.. so I try to keep the salt on the minimum.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I love Mayo with my fries.
    My kids love ranch on theirs
    I made poutine the other day...damn good.
    my son loves ketchup and sour cream on hot dogs.
    I like tobasco on pasta.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Boru
    Its coated in batter. then deep fried. I tried it as a tourist delicacy, but it is consumend with vigour by the locals. You'll suffer a coronary at a very early age if you eat too many of them.
    Reminds me of a Alan sketch about fried breakfasts.

"Cholesterol. Its what Scottish people eat"

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Jan 2013, 11:49 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 4:41 PM
  3. Condiment Collaborations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 15 Sep 2010, 2:19 PM