Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why North Dakota, Why?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Why North Dakota, Why?

Something is not right with this.

I own several guns and always will, but this is just wrong.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The guy set a personal challenge for his blinded self. He did it. I see nothing wrong here. In fact I'm rather impressed.

I recall a blind musician, who by using a gun, stopped a young boy from committing a crime in a movie...something about two brothers who liked depressing music.
    Last edited by el Guapo; 10 Mar 2005 at 11:00 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Besides, it says he is LEGALLY blind. My sister is "legally blind". That means when she takes her glasses off, she can't find them without either remembering where she put them or feeling for them. So, to me, that says he is seriously visually impaired, not completely blind. I bet you have a few limitations too, if you stop and think about it. Lots of folks with limitations live very full lives.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am a gun owner and love to shoot. Still, I find this a bit unsettling. I suppose if he was shooting in a controlled environment under supervision it might be okay. On the other hand, I think that disabilities do limit a person, and if you are legally blind you probably shouldn't be driving a car or sending lethal projectiles through the air. One of the safety rules of shooting and hunting is actually seeing what you are shooting at. Not seeing what you are shooting at leads to hunters being shot because some knothead thought they were deer, and innocent bystanders getting killed in drive-bys.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    I am a gun owner and love to shoot. Still, I find this a bit unsettling. I suppose if he was shooting in a controlled environment under supervision it might be okay. On the other hand, I think that disabilities do limit a person, and if you are legally blind you probably shouldn't be driving a car or sending lethal projectiles through the air. One of the safety rules of shooting and hunting is actually seeing what you are shooting at. Not seeing what you are shooting at leads to hunters being shot because some knothead thought they were deer, and innocent bystanders getting killed in drive-bys.
    Legally blind can mean "you cannot drive without your glasses" (like it does for my sister, my marksman husband, and many others). I don't think anyone is suggesting he go hunting.

I agree with Grind... it just does not seem right.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    "A person is considered legally blind when their best corrected visual acuity is 20/200, or the person's visual field is 20 degrees or less. " , taken from the webpage of the Guide Dog Puppy Raising Club, Arapahoe County, Colorado

If a person's vision disability meets the definition of "legally blind", I still say they should not be endangering others by engaging in actions that require a person be sighted to perform. By the way, I do recall seeing on TV a man who was hunting who was legally blind.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2003
    "A person is considered legally blind when their best corrected visual acuity is 20/200, or the person's visual field is 20 degrees or less. " , taken from the webpage of the Guide Dog Puppy Raising Club, Arapahoe County, Colorado

If a person's vision disability meets the definition of "legally blind", I still say they should not be endangering others by engaging in actions that require a person be sighted to perform. By the way, I do recall seeing on TV a man who was hunting who was legally blind.
    Sorry. I have apparently heard it used more loosely than that definition. No, I wouldn't particularly want someone hunting.

Shutting up now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Should the guy be able to shoot in a controlled environment?.....I hesitantly say yes. But should he be allowed to discharge a weapon for hunting purposes (i.e. get a hunting license). I'd definately say no for the same reasons we have legal limits for driving - there are activities that are potentially dangerous to others and use of firearms is one of them. IMO
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2001
    If he had a seeing eye redneck with him why couldn't he hunt?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    If he had a seeing eye redneck with him why couldn't he hunt?
    Hunt? Hell, he could shoot the beer can offa Bufords head!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Uhhh so this is "news" this appeared in the heavily biased Michael Moore movie(yes.. I repeat miself) of Bowling for Columbine....

Oh.. and I find it unbelieveable, and specially because he has an assault rifle in his hand.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    .......I still say they should not be endangering others by engaging in actions that require a person be sighted to perform. By the way, I do recall seeing on TV a man who was hunting who was legally blind.
    US Army doctrine states that there are 4 times when automatic weapons fire is called for:

Night fire (when engaging the enemy under conditions of limited visibility within 50 meters)
    Assualting through a minefield (where conditions often have heavily limited visibility)
    Urban combat (where vision is often impaired and massing of fire by sound is required)
    Within 50 meters of the target (where less than well aimed shots may be required or there may be to many targets to see and firing by sound are required.

I can envision competitions wherin the participants fire on a target by a sound rather than by sight. In a dark room or alley you would fire by sound not sight. Indeed, firing at targets by night requires only distinguishing the moving shadow from the surrounding shadows. Sound could possibly be just as effective.

Good job blind man! Time to go for the High Life!

Miller High Life!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    On his gun application...

Question 25: Do you claim a physical handicap? Yes.

Question 25A: If yes to Question 25, what accomidations do you require? I must have the gun aimed at the target prior to firing by my vison-abled assistant.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

D of D ... if sound is just as effective to blast away at something.... I guess I would not want to be another hunter in the area!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    [QUOTE=Duke Of Dystopia] I can envision competitions wherin the participants fire on a target by a sound rather than by sight. In a dark room or alley you would fire by sound not sight. Indeed, firing at targets by night requires only distinguishing the moving shadow from the surrounding shadows. Sound could possibly be just as effective. /QUOTE]

Yes. people shoot at shapes in the dark or at sounds in their homes. The people who die more often than not are the shooter's wife, brother, parent or child.

I am of course not talking about combat. Totally different animal. Though friendly fire is a common occurrence - often by people shooting at stuff they can't see.

I was raised in a gun-owning and hunting family. Being sure of what you are shooting at was one of the paramount rules. If you cannot see it and cannot hit it cleanly and effectively, you do not shoot. Period!

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Mar 2013, 11:29 AM
  2. U.S. - Dakota War - Who Knew?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jan 2012, 10:06 AM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last post: 12 Feb 2004, 11:28 AM
  4. Replies: 2