Urban planning community

Poll results: Where do we meet for the SF Laefest? (APA 2005)

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jade

1 12.50%
  • Rickshaw Stop

4 50.00%
  • Temple Bar

0 0%
  • Judi's Place

0 0%
  • Harrington's Harry Pub

3 37.50%
Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do we meet up in San Francisco? (APA 2005 Laefest breaking news...)

Registered
    Jul 2003

Where do we meet up in San Francisco? (APA 2005 Laefest breaking news...)

AIB Mastiff and his linky

I am just listing the first five in a poll (assuming I can figure out how to post a poll ). The top two have websites. I don't know a better method. Still open to suggestions, folks.

(Yay, I did it: my first poll. )

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Harringtons sounds like my kind of place.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I haven't voted yet -- because I want to look them over a bit more. But a head's up for the non-locals: Harrington's says: "This place opens at 7am and has a regular after-work crowd: mainly people working in the nearby federal building, proud blue-collar types and colorful Tenderloin characters. " The Tenderloin is an extremely poor area in SF and may not be very safe after dark due to the high homeless population. I imagine "Tenderloin characters" refers to folks like that. I think "The Tenderloin" is a housing project (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Other than that, I like the look of the picture and the sound of "pub". If someone is actually familiar with someplace in SF and would like to suggest it, I am fine with that. I just made the poll to get the topic going, really.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 10 Mar 2005 at 3:28 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I still say Harrington's.

Plus, we'll have safety in numbers, right?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I think "The Tenderloin" is a housing project (someone correct me if I am wrong).
    The tenderloin is a district. It is generally seen as one of the worst and most dangerous areas of San Fran. I believe it is the area north of Market in the vicinity of the civic center, just east(?) of the union square area. I haven't spenta lot of time there, but I can see that the reputation is somewhat deserving. My wife and I did a lot of shopping in that area, and I ended up putting everything in a garbage bag to lug back to the hotel. It was an interesting expirement, I got panhandled at every corner when we had our shopping bags, but once I converted to the garbage bag, not one person acknowledged my existence.

I voted for the Rickshaw, but could really care less. If it turns into a late night, as long as everyone has a safe way back to their hotels I'm ok with where ever.

Although the one way glass in the mens restroom at Jade could make for some very interesting conversations.
    Last edited by cololi; 10 Mar 2005 at 3:33 PM. Reason: I guess I should vote for wherever has the cheapest drink since I'm still on for the first round, or was it two?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    My Lonely Planet guide says avoid the Tenderloin district in the evenings so I voted Rickshaw. Rickshaw sounds like it has some quiet space so we can get to know each other and some noisy spaces incase we don't like what we find.

I would be happy enough to disregard the Lonely Planet warnings if that is the majority view. After all, I don't have to outrun the muggers, only the slowest Cyburbian.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'd like to change my vote from Harrigton's to the Rickshaw, as I now fear I may be Rem's slowest Cyburbian.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    I'd like to change my vote from Harrigton's to the Rickshaw, as I now fear I may be Rem's slowest Cyburbian.
    Moderator note:
    Vote change: Done.

And don't worry.....I'm sure you could outrun me.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Is everyone walking back?

What time are we meeting? I check in around 4:00, but any of those are an extra 1/2 mile from my place. So, 6:00?

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Moderator note:
    Vote change: Done.

And don't worry.....I'm sure you could outrun me.

Run? No way...

We'll just get MZ to start into one of her long discussion items, and we'll just see who runs!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Is everyone walking back?

What time are we meeting? I check in around 4:00, but any of those are an extra 1/2 mile from my place. So, 6:00?
    I arrive around 12:30 on Sat. 6:00 would work for me (since it'll feel like 9:00 to me anyway).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I will probably walk. I did a map quest from my hotel and the Rickshaw is 1.2 miles from my hotel. Not that that is a long distance, but perhaps we should look for something closer to the convention center? The other option to walking is jumping on the bus/Bart at Powell and Market and taking it to 10th street and walking the block to the place.

I'll do a search of places closer to the convention center if that is what people want.

Here are some closer places: http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/y...yellowpages__1

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Run? No way...

We'll just get MZ to start into one of her long discussion items, and we'll just see who runs!
    Don't mess with me: I have a loaded mouth and know how to shoot it off. (Or something like that.)

Actually, I normally am not hesitant to talk to homeless folks -- since I work in a homeless shelter and took that class out of SF state U (homelessness and public policy). But San Francisco has roughly as many homeless folks as New York -- and has about a tenth the overall "normal" population. The relatively temperate year-round weather is one factor in why the homeless population is so high here. But the extremely high cost of living is another factor (you can work full time and not be able to afford an SRO, which can be $1000/mo). Homeless folks in San Francisco can be a really rough crowd and the panhandlers are infamous for how agressive they are. I find them more intimidating than I found the panhandlers in Riverside (L.A. basin), who really did not make me uncomfortable and I did not hesitate to walk everywhere when I had no car my first month in GIS school.

Jade looks a little too upscale and shhhhhhh quiet. The other two don't have much info. I am likely to vote for Rikshaw unless someone who knows SF can make a suggestion to add to the poll (and hopefully can provide a link to their website or an article about them ).

Registered
    Oct 2001

Whoa!

How'd they miss this one?!

I do believe, ladies and gents... I have the answer.

http://www.citysearch.com/tracker/ff...1___tracker__1

And it looks to be about 3 blocks from the Moscone Center!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Oh, god, and they have actual FOOD. Someone add that to the poll, bitte.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    http://paradigmentertainment.net/ljs/index.html?

This one is close, too.

Should we rearrange the poll?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    http://paradigmentertainment.net/ljs/index.html?

This one is close, too.

Should we rearrange the poll?
    If you want to come up with a third place, I think we should replace those that have recieved nary a vote with new ones. And give folks a do-over if they need it.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    If you want to come up with a third place, I think we should replace those that have recieved nary a vote with new ones. And give folks a do-over if they need it.

I got a 3rd....

Gold Dust Lounge

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/p..._0_profile_5_1

So old school they don't have a webpage!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    All three of the new ones are closer to Union Square (where I am staying) so they suit me fine. Of the two with a web-site the Irish Pub looks closest to what I think would suit a bunch of strangers meeting up for the first time (the other place looks more suited to couples).

Saturday 6.00 pm is good. I actually come in on Thursday morning (though I fly out Thursday afternoon - go figure) so if anyone wants to get the drop on the latecomers on Thursday or Friday, please call me per NHPlanner's contact sheet.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    How will we know each other?

I guess I'll be the guy in jeans wearing an Eagles hat...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Anybody check the weather in San Fran? It is supposed to be 80 today. Of course, the extended forecast shows rain for next weekend. I should warn everyone, everytime I've been to San Fran, it has rained the entire time with the exception of one day, the day we left last time we were there. Our flight left at 11:30, so we didn't have time to enjoy it..

Registered
    Nov 2002
    How will we know each other?
    Mastiff - perhaps we should all wear the name badges you suggested in this thread.

[geek alert]
    I've already customized mine with my user name.
    [/geek alert]
    Last edited by SGB; 11 Mar 2005 at 1:09 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    We need to edit the poll and add the places closer to the convention center. My vote would change for sure. One thing I don't wand to do is drink too much and wander into the wrong neighborhood on my back to my hotel, presuming I could find it. I would change my vote to Foleys.

We maybe able to make a reservation under the name cyburbia?

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    We need to edit the poll and add the places closer to the convention center. My vote would change for sure. One thing I don't wand to do is drink too much and wander into the wrong neighborhood on my back to my hotel, presuming I could find it. I would change my vote to Foleys.

We maybe able to make a reservation under the name cyburbia?
    Start a new thread with other poll options, then I'll merge the two threads.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Start a new thread with other poll options, then I'll merge the two threads.
    I will try to do that later today.

Registered
    Jul 2003

Where do we meet in SF? (poll 2)

Okay, since NHPlanner has said he will merge the two threads, I am not going to make myself nuts reposting links and such. This is a poll, it is only a poll.

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 116
    Last post: 23 Apr 2013, 11:29 AM
  2. Breaking News From Bear
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 11:02 AM
  3. Breaking News on the martini front.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22