Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Landscape architecture programs in Canada

Registered
    Mar 2005

Landscape architecture programs in Canada

As a long time lurker, I've finally signed on because I need some assistance. I cannot seem to find any online forums specifically for landscape architecture so I apologize in advance if this post is inappropriate here.

Does anyone have an opinion on the MLA programs for UBC and University of Toronto? I've been accepted to both, but I'm having difficulty choosing one over the other. Are they both academically equal?

Thanks in advance!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I don't know much about TO, but the UBC program is quite good - Patrick Condon is a regular lecturer there... There's alot of current opportunity within LA here in Vancouver too...
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I, uh, didn't even know U of T had an MLA program. I have a couple of friends who went to U of Guelph for MLAs. Neither of them is working in the field.

Unless you want to explore another part of the country, I'd probably stick with the UBC program.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I, uh, didn't even know U of T had an MLA program. I have a couple of friends who went to U of Guelph for MLAs. Neither of them is working in the field.

Unless you want to explore another part of the country, I'd probably stick with the UBC program.
    I work with a couple of landscape architects who went to UGuelph. Apparently, it is one of the best schools in Canada to study landscape architecture.
    "First we shape our buildings, and then our buildings start shaping us." - Sir Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I've been getting in touch with students at both schools for their experience/opinions.

Quote Originally posted by cmd uw
    I work with a couple of landscape architects who went to UGuelph. Apparently, it is one of the best schools in Canada to study landscape architecture.
    I just can't see myself living in Guelph unfortunately

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by triplelutz
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I've been getting in touch with students at both schools for their experience/opinions.

I just can't see myself living in Guelph unfortunately
    Actually, Guelph can be a fun place. I went to UWaterloo, which is only 30min west, and I've had some good times in that city. It is a University town and only an hour from Toronto.
    "First we shape our buildings, and then our buildings start shaping us." - Sir Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2005

The Conundrum Continues. . .

Wow, it's great to know someone else is just as confused as I am about where to go for an MLA. I've been accepted to UBC and Guelph, and having a tough time deciding between them.

My interests are phytoremediation and green infrastructure - would anyone know if either school is well-known for these areas? I can't really get a direct answer when I contact people there.

Cheers for any advice!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Undecided
    My interests are phytoremediation and green infrastructure - would anyone know if either school is well-known for these areas? I can't really get a direct answer when I contact people there.
    You know, unless one school as an absolutely knock-out program or faculty which sets it apart from other programs I would base my decision on other factors like how far from home do you really want to go, where are you looking to settle eventually, etc.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Huh?

Do plants grow in Canada......
    he he he......just messing with our canuckistani friends.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Do plants grow in Canada......
    he he he......just messing with our canuckistani friends.....
    Dude...we got like...tons of green plants growing...up here. If you know what I mean. Man, is anyone else hungry? I got the munchies bad, eh?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Darn.....

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Dude...we got like...tons of green plants growing...up here. If you know what I mean. Man, is anyone else hungry? I got the munchies bad, eh?
    I just noticed your about to become a member of the five time (5x) slacker clubbbbbe......I bow to you (even though your Canadian.....just my attempt at making you feel important....ha ha ha..... ) I loved your response though.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Sorry for dragging this thread back up to the top, but I just wanted to say thanks for all the comments, and I have decided to attend UBC next fall.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 12:03 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Nov 2009, 12:00 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 31 Mar 2008, 8:14 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Nov 2007, 11:20 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Jan 2007, 5:15 AM