Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Billboards

Registered
    Jan 2002

Favorite Billboards

Everyone has their favorite commercials on TV. In the context of cities, billboards are sometimes just as entertaining. Anyone have a favorite billboard?

I saw one today that caused me to begin this thread. This billboard was an advertisement for the area's transit system. The ad was positioned adjacent to a low bridge with four lanes of traffic. Beneath the bridge are rails for the rapid to operate upon. The billboard implicitly pointed the transit lines, saying "Napping Lane".

:p

Registered
    Jul 1998
    My all time favorite is from several years ago in Atlanta. It advertised a vasectomy clinc and read...... Free service for the bus driver

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    We don't have many billboards left in NH...but I remember passing this one during my college days in Indiana...
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There's a local DNA paternity testing clinic with billboards reading,

WHOS YOUR DADDY?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My favorite was a huge billboard looming over one of the most notorious housing developments (projects) in the city, ironically located on Martin Luther King Boulevard, that stated:

THOU SHALL NOT KILL

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Planderella
    My favorite was a huge billboard looming over one of the most notorious housing developments (projects) in the city, ironically located on Martin Luther King Boulevard, that stated:

THOU SHALL NOT KILL
    I've seen 'em in other cities. I question the effectiveness of such signs on crime, but I do know that they can't help the image of an area.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Originally posted by Dan

I've seen 'em in other cities. I question the effectiveness of such signs on crime, but I do know that they can't help the image of an area.
    I think those billboards are more of a mockery than anything. I couldn't help but snicker and think "yeah right" every time I passed it.

One of the local health care systems had a billboard with a life-sized mannequin - a man dressed in a painter's outfit hanging off a ladder that was tilted towards the sidewalk. The message read something like "Accidents Happen"....blah blah blah. It caused such a stir with drivers that I'm surprised real accidents didn't occur because of it. I know my head did a Linda Blair 180 degree turn when I first drove past it.

Registered
    Dec 2001

On I35

On the way to San Antonio from Austin there is an anti-abortion billboard with hundreds for little white cosses underneath it depicting all of the "graves".

Not a favorite-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'd never seen a religious bill board until moving to SC - those were always my favorite, especially for the "In Bed" game. It plays like this: You repeat the slogan on the billboard and then add "in bed" or "under the sheets" (very similar to the chinese fortune cookie game). My favorite was something like "Come discover the wonders of Jesus (in bed!)" snicker snicker.

Registered
    Oct 2001

PETA - not a favorite of mine

PETA just put up a bulletin Board showing the following in the older blue collar section of heavily Catholic St. Joseph, MO.

http://www.dumpdairy.com/breastnew.html

To me its as tasteless as they intended it to be.

El Guapo
    Still Eating Beef and Dairy for the Baby Jesus!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    A planner's worst nightmare ... over the right-of-way!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Please ... don't let it happen here ... please ...

Registered
    Oct 2001

Street Pole Ads

Hey, Dan, have you ever visited www.CAUSS.org? People whose life work is removing street spam! They are SERIOUS!

I have to admit I go through phases where I rip down every damn "Work from Home" sign I see. A major pet peeve.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not quite a billboard, but a favorite - there's something to be said for truth in advertising.

Newspaper headline

in keeping with the last posting, this is not a billboard but the title says it all " GROWTH HAPPENS AND ABUTTERS NOT PLEASED."

Registered
    Jul 1998

Re: Street Pole Ads

Originally posted by BKM
    I have to admit I go through phases where I rip down every damn "Work from Home" sign I see. A major pet peeve.

I called the "work from home" number got the name and address and wrote then a ticket. Still waiting to se what happens when they get the summons for court 75 miles away. he he

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Re: Street Pole Ads

Originally posted by giff57

I called the "work from home" number got the name and address and wrote then a ticket. Still waiting to se what happens when they get the summons for court 75 miles away. he he
    YOU GO GIFF!

Our public works yard is filled with the weight loss, work from home, rummage sale, and real eastate directional signs that people insist on putting in the right of way.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    This site is WAY too funny.

http://www.dribbleglass.com
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Re: Street Pole Ads

Originally posted by giff57
    BOO-YA!

My collection ...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just got back from a trip to Lancaster and we loved the Pa turnpike signs!

Peace. Love and Turnpike. Oh there were other sayings that I can't recall but they were groovy too!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    They are groovy signs, but those of us who drive the Turnpike still curse the Turnpike Commission for having the road under construction for the past sixty years or so! I think it's the Commission's way of taking your attention off of the condition of the road.

I hope you enjoyed your trip. I had trouble finding the Amish - too many outlet shops!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Lancaster was not what I expected, but we were there for a family reunion. Lancaster is totally gridlock by outlet shops and touristy stuff but we did thoroughly enjoy the Pennsylvania scenery on the way in. Spent one night in Beaver Falls at the Holiday Inn above the Adult Bookstore. And trying to find cold beer was a trick and a half! And the turnpike is something to get used to, very narrow with no shoulders and fearless native drivers.

Funny we didn't venture out into Amish country at all, but we did see Cirque DuSoleil (sp) at the American Music Theater. We bumped literally into the Musical Muse afterwards at the HI pool! Turns out the cast was staying there but the Deely family reunion got top billing! (Our name was on the hotel marquee)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I worked at a grocery during college, we knew the out-of-staters as soon as they asked which aisle had beer!

I've been known to drive 85 through the Jersey barrier tunnel that is the turnpike. The road isn't good for driving, but has a great history.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Jen - how was the grassroots festival? That's where you were heading for part of your trip, right?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Billboards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 Dec 2006, 3:31 PM
  2. Billboards
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 May 2005, 6:30 AM
  3. Singing Billboards