Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Recent Music Purchases Or Downloads

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Your Recent Music Purchases Or Downloads

Cabin fever! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Katie and I went shopping this mroning and this afternoon. We stopped at Best buy to pick up some new music. My first chance to buy some music since well before Christmas and all the hosptial stuff.

Here's what I bought:

(For Katie) The new JayLo album. Eye candy but not really my style of tunes.

(For Both Of Us) Los Lonely Boys. I like their funky tex-mex fuzzy guitar sounds (and their fun harmonies). Katie likes the song "Heaven".

(For Bear) The 4-CD Beatles box called "The Capitol Albums Vol. 1". It includes both mono and stereo versions of "Meet The Beetles", "The Beatles Second Album", "Something New", "Beatles '65".

The throbbing brian of Cyburbia is asking, "Why mono?" Probably for us old geezers who lived with just mono until the late 1960's. The ultimate trip back in time?

"Meet The Beetles" was my first Beatles album. I hitchhiked to the old Arlan's Departmetn Store the day after seeing the Beatles live on the Ed Sullivan Show. I was hooked and have been since.

Those are MY recent music purchases. (I don't download music.)

What say you? Any new stuff?

You Saw Bear Standing There
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Went to a concert last night, picked up a new CD by Geoff Berner. Sample MP3's available at www.geoffberner.com

His music is hard to describe, he is described in the media as "klezmer pub music" and the "Jewish Shane McGowan". I think it is more Jewish Punk Klezmer.

Warning, some of his lyrics might be considered offensive by some people.

The person that opened for him was Kris Demeanor. Did not buy one of his CD's but considered it.

Might try to talk a few friends into going and seeing him again tonight. It was odd going to a concert by myself. First time ever, but something I'll have to get used to doing.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    New for me as of late:

Cat Power
    Boards of Canada
    Winter Equinox
    Death From Above 1979
    Craig Cardiff
    The Arcade Fire
    Aphex Twin
    Godspeed You Black Emperor
    A Silver Mt. Zion
    Dead Can Dance
    David Sylvian & Fennesz

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Godspeed You Black Emperor
    A Silver Mt. Zion
    Nice picks

Now, as of late... er.... um... last music purchase was a christmas present for my brother, which I'm sure I mentioned before here.

abrowne.. if you're looking for more bands like GYBE! or A Silver Mt Zion... You may want to hear some albums from:
    -Mogwai
    -Do Make Say Think
    -Tortoise

Registered
    Oct 2001
    abrowne, you are after my own taste. Godspeed rules!

I recently purchased (an actual cd. Even with my new ipod, I like the tangible item-and all the artwork):

Behemoth-DemiGod-above average Polish Black Metal

BUT, the best purchase recently was the new Mars Volta: Frances the Mute.

Absolutely incredible album. Imagine Jane's Addiction with better, more experimental songs, less annoying vocals (though still higher pitched), and a latin tinge (the band includes two Latino brothers from LA). Amazing guitar work, fascinating quirky experimental sections, and a nice, smooth flow. I can't enthuse enough about it. I enjoyed their first album qujite a bit (maybe 3 out of 4 stars), but Frances the Mute warrants 5 out of 4 stars!

Dark Tranquillity's newest. Decent Swedish Melodic Death Metal. Catchy tunes, good integration of keyboards. I'll always enjoy Dark Tranquillity. They just have a great groove if you can get past the death metal vocals (an insurmountable obstacle for some) They are no longer groundbreaking in any way (its hard to play hard music when you're well into your thirties), but awesome album art (Niklas Sundlin designs album art as a sideline-and he's good!

Quote Originally posted by skeleton
    Now, as of late... er.... um... last music purchase was a christmas present for my brother, which I'm sure I mentioned before here.

abrowne.. if you're looking for more bands like GYBE! or A Silver Mt Zion... You may want to hear some albums from:
    -Mogwai
    -Do Make Say Think
    -Tortoise
    DMST were pretty enjoyable live. Saw them at a great small club in San Francisco last year. Like their second album quite a bit!

(Also bought a Mogwai album recently. Can't remember the name, but pretty enjoyable!)

Another band to check out: explosions in the Sky'

And, I thought of a couple of others:

Legendary Pink Dots (a couple of cds). Awesome experimental quirkiness. Fantastic live, too!

Enslaved Isa Pretty good Viking Death Metal. I like it better than their last.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I take it we seem to all share a love for bands on Constellation Records (DMST, Godspeed, Silver Mt off the top of my head). Constellation and Warp Records (Autechre, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin) have some of the best acts in music today as far as I am concerned.

Do Make Say Think played Waterloo September 12th but I didnt see the poster until the DAY AFTER. Agh, I'm still choked about that one. Nabbed the poster, though.

http://www.cstrecords.com/
    http://www.cronyrecords.ca/
    http://www.warprecords.com/

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I got a Jimmy Buffett CD as part of a wedding invitation on Friday. Guess it will be a tropical type event.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I had recently became tired of my current music and picked up some new selections.

One thing I have wanted to do is pick up something way different, yet expected within my eclectic taste in many sorts of tunes.

I have recently picked up The Ratpack: Boys Night Out and Dino, The Essential Dean Martin. I wanted something older, but classy and I really like the "aura" of the Rat Pack and I love the voice of Dean Martin so it has been a really good listening experience for this planner.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    M'skis burned me a copy of the 'Ray' soundtrack. I haven't actually purchased music for several months. I guess the last CD I bought was a bluegrass cd called the "Best of the Seldom Scene"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I got The Arcade Fire's "Funeral" recently and love it. Yesterday I downloaded some Postal Service songs not on "Give Up" and some Dntel songs that aren't part of his collaboration with Ben Gibbard.

I'm looking forward to the new Beck album that's coming out in a few weeks. The first few songs I've heard sound pretty good.

Registered
    May 2004
    Latest purchase: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds-Abattoir Blues / Lyre of Orpheus - Nice double CD

On another note: Arcade Fire is playing at this year's "Sasquatch Festival" at The Gorge (Wilco, Modest Mouse, Pixies, etc). Looks like a good lineup

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by spokanite
    Latest purchase: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds-Abattoir Blues / Lyre of Orpheus - Nice double CD

On another note: Arcade Fire is playing at this year's "Sasquatch Festival" at The Gorge (Wilco, Modest Mouse, Pixies, etc). Looks like a good lineup

I love Nick Cave, I got into them because of their work on the X-Files.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Nick Cave did work on the X-Files? The X-Files was rad. Tell me more of this 'Nick Cave' individual.

http://www.atomless.com/music/ some interesting mp3's

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Nick Cave did work on the X-Files? The X-Files was rad. Tell me more of this 'Nick Cave' individual.

http://www.atomless.com/music/ some interesting mp3's

Visit here and all will be revealed
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

The Gorge is a cool place I'd love to see a show there...

Where you been, Spoke'?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001

Nick Cave is awesome. I'll probably pick this one up, too. It's been getting good reviews.

On a slightly off-Nick Cave topic-there was a great early 90s???band featuring Mick Harvey (a long time Bad Seed): Crime and the City Solution. Fantastic quirky indie rock. I definitely recommend them. They issued about three or four recrods. My favorite is probably The Bride Ship. Their vocalist, Simon Bonney, has a great voice!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I got some Sister Hazel...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm hooked on Jack Johnson these days... and I'm definately going to the concert at the Gorge in August!!!
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Just picked up Bowling for Soup's new one. Haven't listened all the way through, yet, but it sounds real good so far. I sent my sister their first one (Too Drunk to Dance - I think that's the name) and got one for myself last year.

I also received John Mellencamp's newest greatest hits 2 disc collection for Christmas.

Otherwise, haven't purchased or downloaded a lot. I tend to stick with classical, which isn't hard to find and is always on the radio.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

The Evens - Which is Ian McKaye's (of Fugazi and Minor Threat fame) new band. Kind of like Fugazi with some female vocals and one less guitar.

I also got the Trashcan Sinatra's new album "Weightlifiting," which is pretty solid as well as the two new Bright Eyes Cds, which probably would have made 1 great album instead of 2 ok ones.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Picked up the new Lisa Loeb before we went to see her in concert a couple weeks ago, so I would be prepped enough to sing along with any of her new material. Very peppy - like it alot.

Wound up buying the CD of her opener - Jess Klein - very mellow, very enjoyable.

Yay chick rock!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    The last music I bought was the new single by New Order – ‘Krafty’. Its very good, and getting back to more the style of ‘Technique’ than the last album. Am looking forward to their new album which comes out in a couple of weeks.

Also recently bought the new Athlete album, which was actually quite disappointing. I really like the single from it, ‘Wires’, but the album isn’t a patch on their first album.

Bought a CD of remixes of Everything but the Girl yesterday off Play, so I’m waiting for it to come through.

Theres a lot of hype here at the moment over ‘The Bravery’, a band from New York. Are they any good? Every year the British music press gets itself into a lather over a new American band, (in previous years its been the White Stripes, The Strokes, The Killers etc) and the Bravery appear to be the chosen flavour of the month. They have an album out which I’d like to listen to but was wondering if the Throbbing Brain had any opinion.

BKM, you appear to be in to your Scandinavian death metal, so I thought you may be interested in this (warning, article contains swear words)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    The state of the music industry, for me, is very cyclical. Sometimes I find myself bored with what's coming out, and don't feel like listening to anything new. Other times it seems as if SUDDENLY there's a huge amount of good music being released.

Right now I feel we're in the latter phase. I've been listening to the Dears (from Montreal), Interpol (from NYC), & Secret Machines (from Dallas)... really great stuff. I want the latest Manic Street Preachers album but it's currently only available as an import.

Has anyone else noticed all the '80s bands that have reunited & are on tour again? E.G., Psychedelic Furs, Gang of Four, The Wedding Present. It's like all the bands I loved in my college years have returned.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I just bought a Bobby Darin greatest hits for my wife's birthday tomorrow.

the most recent CD I got was Cake's Pressure Chief......very good
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Decided this morning, after a failed attempt to dwnload tunes last night, to bu some today. So it was off to Best Buy where I got some very different titles, which should satisfy me for a while.
    #1 Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. (which I am listening to right now) This one I decided to get because I have always liked their tunes and grew up with them also. I would file this under something nostolgic for me (Being in my early 20s though, it is more of a nostolgia from my folks' nostolgia, sayin'?) I am finding their music to be very relaxing too and deep... very cerebral.
    #2 Sinatra at the Sands. This one wasrecommended in a recentbook I had read, and being a fan of the Rat Pack, I decided to check it out. Ole' Blue Eyes is singing with Count Basie's Orchestra. It was arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones too. Should be a good one.
    #3 Dream Theater: Live at Budokan I was a huge fan of this talented progressive rock group a couple years ago and sill listen to them every now and then. I figured this frugally priced 3 disc live set would help reacquaint me with an old favorite and acclimate me to some of thir new stuff.

Felt like writing a bunch tonight.

ZMP

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Ebay Purchases
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 11 Aug 2005, 2:21 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 May 2005, 5:06 AM
  3. Your favorite PDA downloads
    Friday Afternoon Club