Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UC-Irvine

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005

UC-Irvine

Hello all-
    I have been lurking and find the conversations both enjoyable and helpful. Figured I would jump in, as to seek some insight.

What are your thoughts on/what do you know/hear about the Planning, Policy, and Design PhD and the MURP at UC-Irvine? I have heard good things, but not too much discussion on UCI here. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks-
    Tim

     
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    I have been lurking and find the conversations both enjoyable and helpful. Figured I would jump in, as to seek some insight.

What are your thoughts on/what do you know/hear about the Planning, Policy, and Design PhD and the MURP at UC-Irvine? I have heard good things, but not too much discussion on UCI here. Any info would be appreciated.

Tim,

I wondering the same. I am thinking of going for UCI. I spoke with a Professor there and she really made me feel good about the program. It is a lot younger than the other programs. It is also less traditional and more "out-of-the-box" than other UP programs. That definitely interests me.

Other things I learned that were interesting: the faculty to student ratio is great (19 faculty to 25 MURP students and 5-10 PhD students). The faculty are very involved with students and solving real problems in the surrounding communites and region. That is really, really important to me (I could go on about it).

I look at this program as an opportunity. Somewhat of a risk because it is not as well known as the other big names but it is cutting-edge, different, a different approach and they are applying theories to the problems. The program is one of the fastest growing urban planning programs in the country. The region is going through tremendous growth as well. There is huge potential there.

I would like to see a little more integration with UCI's MBA program which is also on the way up from what I can see.

How about you? Are you thinking about UCI? By the way, I've talked with a lot of faculty and administration and UCI has been the nicest by far.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. UC Irvine
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Apr 2011, 1:36 PM
  2. UC-Irvine or Rutgers
    Student Commons
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 10 Apr 2010, 1:08 AM
  3. Cal Poly SLO v. UC-Irvine
    Student Commons