Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Private Message woes

Registered
    Aug 2004

Private Message woes

The other night i was looking at some pm's i got on another site. I was actually on another forum. anyways, i had gotten about 100 messages from a user called "LOOKATWHATIDID" the messeges contained nothing but giberish.

The user was soon banned, and i only later found out that several other users where getting spammed.

My question for the mods here is "Can moderators and admins read PM's from user accounts?"

If not, it might be a good idea for mods and admins to read user pm now then to make sure no one is geting spammed.

Just a suggestion.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by icke_mike
    If not, it might be a good idea for mods and admins to read user pm now then to make sure no one is geting spammed.
    There's no way to look at PMs from the vBulletin administrator or moderator control panels, but we can clear them to some extent.

I can theoretically look at private messages by accessing the raw MySQL database directy. (The moderators can't.) I won't look at PMs, though, unless a user is getting harassed and there are complaints, or I recieve a subpoena. The mods and I take user privacy very seriously, and there is an expectation that private messages won't be read by parties that are not intended to see them. Besides, I may not like what I read.

I could restrict the ability of new members to send PMs; for example, limiting their mainbox to ten total PMS (both sent and received), or not allowing them to use private messaging at all. This would cut down on spam like the jibberish and 419 messages.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2004
    hmmm, interesting i thought that mods could do it as well. Has there ever been any bad spammer raiding the forums here?

Unregistered

test

If it gets to be a problem here, why not then deal with it?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

BTW, Dan, you're doing a great job.

-OfficialPlanner

Too lazy to log-in.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by OfficialPlanner
    If it gets to be a problem here, why not then deal with it?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Personally, I think that -- for now -- since, to my knowledge, this isn't a huge problem, it is better to handle it the way Dan recently asked us to: "Please do not reply to spam posts or PMs. Just report them to a mod, so they can delete it and ban the user. Thanks." (From this announcement: linky)

(with one "correction": if it is a PM, you have to delete it yourself. )

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Until now I have only gotten 1 spam PM and it was that tempting Nigerian scam... A way to make it harder would make registration harder... but that would prevent many from joining...so it's a tough call. I know that Dan put some security features that can prevent bots from creating user accounts (that image thingy), and it's those that are more danger than the few that have joined just to spam.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Until now I have only gotten 1 spam PM and it was that tempting Nigerian scam... A way to make it harder would make registration harder... but that would prevent many from joining...so it's a tough call. I know that Dan put some security features that can prevent bots from creating user accounts (that image thingy), and it's those that are more danger than the few that have joined just to spam.
    There's one way to fill up yout gmail account, lol! I think it would be worht it to make registration more harder than having possible bots comming in and clogging up the inboxes of users. However, OfficialPlanner had a point when he said "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" nuff said.

bots are more dangerous, oh right macros and corrputed jpegs...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Unregistered
    Can't do it without the mods.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been here, oh 7-8 years now? And have never received PM spam. The more active mods (which isnt me lately) are very good at catching and deleting thread spam.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I've been here, oh 7-8 years now? And have never received PM spam. The more active mods (which isnt me lately) are very good at catching and deleting thread spam.
    well now i can sleep a little more easily knowing the mods and admins are doing a good job. Thanks.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. how to send private message
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Jul 2013, 5:28 PM
  2. Private message capacity raised
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jul 2009, 9:24 AM
  3. Private message capacity
    Cyburbia Issues and Help