Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory tours

Registered
    Sep 1999

Factory tours

Looking to take my soon to be 12-year old either up the east coast or thru the midwest. Anybody know any good factory tours we could take? And no, Jack Daniels distellery is not an option on this trip!

I have only done the Hershey's and Kellogg's, that I remember.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Looking to take my soon to be 12-year old either up the east coast or thru the midwest. Anybody know any good factory tours we could take? And no, Jack Daniels distellery is not an option on this trip!

I have only done the Hershey's and Kellogg's, that I remember.
    Breweries are always a fun option, especially the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee.

Also, if you make it into the Washington DC area, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is open for walk-up tours. Note that from March through September, you do need a time-stamped ticket (they keep the lines under control and allow you to do other things while waiting your turn), they must be picked up starting at 08:00 (M-F) and are usually gone by 09:00. See http://www.moneyfactory.gov for more info.
    Unfortunately, the walk-up public tour at the USMint in Philadelphia is still down.

Mike

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Newark, Ohio
    Longaberger Basket Co. - weave your very own basket

Louisville, Kentucky
    Louisville Slugger Museum - Hillerich Bradsby

Check out this website: Factory Tours USA - 467 tours
    http://factorytoursusa.com/Index.asp
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Don't forget the Intercourse Pretzel Factory in Amish Country.

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If you were in California- you could go the Jelly Belly factory (cool!) and the teddy bear factory.... make ur own teddy bear- but alas, you're way over yonder..... across the way.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've been on the Ben and Jerry's tour in Waterbury, VT. If I remember right its the no. 1 tourist attraction in VT.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    There's gotta be somewhere he can see the war machine in motion. Munitions. Electronics. Humvees. Missiles.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    There's gotta be somewhere he can see the war machine in motion. Munitions. Electronics. Humvees. Missiles.
    Historic Naval Ship Visitors' Guide
    http://www.hnsa.org/index.htm
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    You can watch 'em build a gigantic truck in a green factory by my house.

http://www.thehenryford.org/rouge/regeneration.asp

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If your son, or yourself, is into cars you should be sure to stop at the BMW factory and Zentrum Museum off of I-85 in Spartanburg, SC.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    The Louisville Slugger Museum lets you make your own bat, if you buy it of course.

New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins CO is really cool.
    Gluek Brewing Company in Cold Spring, MN is old school and fun.
    They are brewing companies I know, but they are small and have alot of others things that your kid would be interested in too.

I think everything except the brewerys are now in Mexico!!
    Last edited by NDPlanner26; 15 Mar 2005 at 12:06 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Most of those "tours" - if there indeed are any - are done during "family only" type events. I once toured the GE armaments plant in Burlington VT at such an event.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Quote Originally posted by Planner22
    The Louisville Slugger Museum lets you make your own bat, if you buy it of course.
    Umm. I think that might be a very special promotion type of thing. Every time I've been there (it's 4 miles from here and on the must see list of every visitor to my home) and I've never seen where you could actually turn your own bat. Now, it is possible to have your name engraved on a bat. For $$$, of course.

Still, the movie, museum and factory floor tour is great. And the stadium (Triple AAA/Cincy) is just down the street.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002
    General Motors is the first I remember touring.
    Also...
    Absolut Vodka (Stockholm)
    Budweiser (in GA)
    Heineken (Amsterdam)

Hitachi Computer Products
    Went on lots of industrial tours when I worked for the Chamber of Commerce. Too many to list.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Umm. I think that might be a very special promotion type of thing. Every time I've been there (it's 4 miles from here and on the must see list of every visitor to my home) and I've never seen where you could actually turn your own bat. Now, it is possible to have your name engraved on a bat. For $$$, of course.
    Guess that very well could be, I was there with my college baseball team and we got to turn our own bats. Our school had a contract with Louisville TPS so that could explain it. I guess I figured it was common practice.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    And no, Jack Daniels distellery is not an option on this trip!
    Samuel Adams...that's kinda like a history lesson.

Actually, brewing beer is quite scientific. Plus, when I went to the old Utica Club brewery, they also bottled root beer and had some to sample. There were families on that tour.

State capitols are fun too...come to Albany and ride the AquaDuck.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Harley Davidson factory tour in Milwaukee ROCKS. You would not believe the celebs on that our on a a weekly basis.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wisconsin has several:

Miller Brewery
    Harley-Davidson
    Leinenkugel Brewery
    Kohler Company (showroom will make you want to redo your bathroom)
    New Glarus Brewery
    Babcock Dairy (on UW-Madison campus - fresh ice cream!)
    Capitol Brewery

MIchigan has the Kellogg Cereal Factory in Battle Creek.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Yuengling (Americas oldest brewery)
    Hershey
    I tried to get into the Crayola factory, but the line wrapped around the block, and they closed before we got in.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    oustide Buffalo, NY is the Fisher-Price headquaters, not sure if there is a factory there, though
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    oustide Buffalo, NY is the Fisher-Price headquaters, not sure if there is a factory there, though
    I'm thinking the factory is in Mexico, the town your thinking of is East Aurora, which does have a toy museum but I can't find any info. on a factory.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, just show up to Camp Pendleton on Family Days and you can go on the Tank Ride, mom and dad can take part in the bayonette drills and the kids will enjoy participating in the .50 cal live fire exercises (cool, dad, tracers!) Oh, and if you stop by to watch the F-18 ground target demonstration, I recommend not getting the front row seats (even if they do require 'E' tickets to get into).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2003
    If he's into trains at all, you should go to the Steamtown national Historic site in Scranton, PA. Its not a factory, but is a working machine shop for overhauling steam locomotives. Lots of educational exhibits. The mint in Philadelphia is still open for tours, as far as I know. I think the Harley plant in York, PA also does tours. The M&M/Mars Co. factory in Hackettstown, NJ may also offer tours. Lived near there as a toddler and have a vague memory of it. There are also at least 2 "Living History" farms in the greater Philly area, one in Chester County, PA & one in Mercer County NJ, just north of where Washington crossed the Delaware.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    The National Park Service operates a large museum complex of old mills, dedicated to the Industrial Revolution in Lowell, MA. The Henry Ford Museum in Detroit is also an interesting place. Of course you could always do the Bush Brewery or Sally Corps tours in Jacksonville.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    If he's into trains at all, you should go to the Steamtown national Historic site in Scranton, PA. Its not a factory, but is a working machine shop for overhauling steam locomotives. Lots of educational exhibits. The mint in Philadelphia is still open for tours, as far as I know.
    Right now, you need a Congressional sponsership and two weeks' notice to walk along that catwalk inside the USMint in Philadelphia. Three weeks' notice (six(!) in spring/summer) is needed for the tour at the USMint plant in Denver, CO. See http://www.usmint.gov for the gory details.

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Ghost Tours
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Oct 2013, 2:31 PM
  2. Winery tours
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 08 Jan 2005, 12:06 PM