Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Home's Exercise Equipment

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Your Home's Exercise Equipment

OK, Bear......get off the computer chair and get down to the basement. Get on that treadmill and start walking.

"But I don't feel good."

Get down there.....now!

Actually, this Bear is starting to use the treadmill more and more, although for pretty short distances. I still get out of breath really easy. The docs say that that is quite normal in the first few months after a bone marrow transplant.

A treadmill is the only piece of exercise equipment we have. (Not counting bicycles for outdoor use.)

We used to have a staionary bike but it never really worked right. You get what you pay for and we didn't pay much.

This Bear is not a fan of indoor exercise equipment BUT living in a cold climate sort of forces you in that direction.

Do you have indoor exercise equipment? Do you use it?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    OK, Bear......get off the computer chair and get down to the basement. Get on that treadmill and start walking.

"But I don't feel good."

Get down there.....now!

Actually, this Bear is starting to use the treadmill more and more, although for pretty short distances. I still get out of breath really easy. The docs say that that is quite normal in the first few months after a bone marrow transplant.

A treadmill is the only piece of exercise equipment we have. (Not counting bicycles for outdoor use.)

We used to have a staionary bike but it never really worked right. You get what you pay for and we didn't pay much.

This Bear is not a fan of indoor exercise equipment BUT living in a cold climate sort of forces you in that direction.

Do you have indoor exercise equipment? Do you use it?

Bear
    I used to have a weights bench and a half decent set of weights out in the garage. Good luck with the training bear, you can use all sorts of stuff lying around the house as fitness utilities - you don't need to rely on hi-tech eqipment to up your health.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    My house is too small for exercise equipment...especially since the basement is a mess right now. I rely on the gym at work, and my weekly hockey game to stay in shape (round).

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I teach water aerobics in addition to being a planner. So I get paid to work out at least 3 times a week. However, I do own some weights and exercise ball.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I used to have a step machine...it made an excellent hat tree/coat rack/laundry holder!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    My husband bought us a bike with his poker winnings. He uses it more than I do, but I think even irregular use is better than no use!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have one of those big exercise balls. I go to the gym for almost everything else.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Bike trainer, use it all the time.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    An assortment of small hand weights. They get used intermittently, more to stave off carpal tunnel than to "build muscle" or some such. I am trying to also acquire that great and glorious home exercise wonder: enough open floor space to stretch properly.

Mr. Zone has a bowflex, assorted weights, yadda yadda. Not my property and won't be here much longer. <insert dancing, happy happy smiley )

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Exercise bike, which gets used regularly. Exercise balls, which also get used a lot, and a mini-trampoline, which is lots of fun but isn't used quite as much. Plus assorted yoga and pilates mats and tapes, which get used fairly frequently. Although yesterday I was so stressed out not even an hour of intensive vinyasa yoga helped.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    hand weights and a bike. Like Tranplanner, my home is too small for a dedicated exercise area.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    I have 15 and 20 pound dumbels beside my lazy boy that I use during commercials for any number of random exercises. Cardio balls are the bomb, you can really work important muscles without stressing too much.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We have nothing and no room to put it in our tiny apartment right now.

When we move, we'll have a whole unfinished basement and I was going to put a weight bench, free weights, and an elliptical down there. We are going to rent these to start out, just to see how much we use them. If biking takes off for me, I may get a trainer for next winter.

I was going to put my old TV/VCR down there, and watch old tapes of the Simpsons/Seinfeld repaets on a local channel while I work out.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Refrigerator door; twist off caps. Sometimes a stubborn cork requires extra effort to extract from the bottle, too.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Refrigerator door; twist off caps. Sometimes a stubborn cork requires extra effort to extract from the bottle, too.
    You remind me of when my youngest child was 2 and it was hard for him to open the fridge on his own. If I helped him and opened it for him, he would be furious and slam the door shut, stubbornly insistent that he had to do it himself. sigh. So then his attempts to open the door would begin again....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    None right now, gave up the treadmill when I moved north because it weighed a bjillion pounds. I'd like to get one of those elliptical (sp?) trainers once the house is rebuilt, if we have extra $ leftover. The only other equipment I own are free weights and a heavy bag, both of which are stuffed in the garage with all of the stuff we saved from the basement flooding.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My apartment is pretty small, so things have to be put up and taken down. I have a wind trainer for my road bike, have not used it alot lately due to the amount of walking I've been doing and I've been waiting for cleats for my spanky new road shoes. Also have an excercise ball, also not used since the move as it need to be inflated. With summer coming, walking and riding outside are going to be my primary forms of excercise. Hopefully I don't lose too much more weight and start building muscle, might have to join a gym. Not sure if my future employer has one or not.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Does a hot tub count?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Does a hot tub count?
    Absolutely. Maybe after the IU/Vandy game, I'm out there.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    None at home I go to the gym on a daily basis..I have been thinking about getting a "gazelle" (some Tony Little machine) but am afraid I wont find the time to use it...I hve to make time to get to the gym...if it were here at home I would put it off until late at night and decide I am too tired...sure would be cheaper though..10 months of gym dues

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    None at home I go to the gym on a daily basis..I have been thinking about getting a "gazelle" (some Tony Little machine) but am afraid I wont find the time to use it...I hve to make time to get to the gym...if it were here at home I would put it off until late at night and decide I am too tired...sure would be cheaper though..10 months of gym dues
    If you learn to teach a particular program, like aerobics or water aerobics, your gym may pay for your membership. That is how I pay for my $85 Y membership.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    If you learn to teach a particular program, like aerobics or water aerobics, your gym may pay for your membership. That is how I pay for my $85 Y membership.
    Yhats a really good idea..problem right now is I am only doing cardio..the only class I really go to (and not regularaly anymore) is PiYo (pilates/yoga) I really enjoy it but its hard to go a lot with the boys and stuff...they do have daycare but i feel horrible leaving them at daycare all day then another hour or two at the gym...maybe when they are little bigger I could do something like that. Going to the gym is my favorite time of the day, its the one thing I do for me that I dont think I could give up...probably why I havent gotten any equipment at home...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My office is on the third floor - stairs
    My apartment is on the second floor - stairs
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The future Mrs. & I like to work out, but we figured out that both of us paying gym memberships is not very economical at about $450/year each. We got to thinking about it and decided to buy some equipment instead since you can do a lot with $900 each year.

So far we have a commercial-grade treadmill courtesy of a gym in the area that was open for about three months before going belly-up. I'll probably get a Bowflex-type thing in the next couple of months since my brother really likes his. Hopefully next year we can get an eliptical cross-trainer as well.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    My house is too small for exercise equipment...especially since the basement is a mess right now. I rely on the gym at work, and my weekly hockey game to stay in shape (round).
    Same as you, only take away the basement and add several people to the house....oh and my office doesn't have a gym....and I don't play hockey.....(what is that anyway....?).....I guess my situation is nothing like you, sorry to bug you
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Other Exercise - Crossfit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Oct 2013, 3:08 PM
  2. Upcoming interview- writing exercise
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Oct 2006, 2:06 PM