Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cities with mixed-income housing objectives for neighborhood growth

Registered
    Jan 2005

Cities with mixed-income housing objectives for neighborhood growth

Does anyone know of some specific medium-sized cities (preferably midwestern) that have specific mixed-income housing objectives maybe called for in their master plans or in housing policies? I've looked at Toledo, Akron, Columbus, Madison and Harrisburg and haven't found much. Plans could be very broad or very detailed. I'm beginning my research and just looking to see what other cities are doing to address or implement this type of housing. Anyone know of a contact that would be very willing to give me some information? Thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2005

Madison inclusionary zoning

City of Madison (Wisconsin) has an inclusionary zoning ordinance for new residential developments. Also, the city is in the middle of completing its comprehensive plan, so I would expect the issue to be included in housing and land use goals. The city's website should have a thorough discussion of the inclusionary zoning requirement.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I know it's not a Midwestern locale, but Montgomery County, MD has an inclusionary housing program for residential developments.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jan 2005
    thanks for the info....i have found some information on both inclusionary zoning laws from some online news sources.

Be sure to check New Jersey's Mt. Laurel I and II.

Here's a link that might be helpful -- http://www.bpichicago.org/rah/ejul.html

My father, the arch-conservative, ranted and raved about legislating from the bench. And, to be fair, he was right in the end: although the idea was worthy, in practice the municipalities found ways around the law.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005

inclusionary zoning housing characteristics

Is anyone aware of where I could find some information about some specific characteristics of developments made under inclusionary zoning. Just some things like styles, sizes, # of units, whether or not the affordable units are integrated or seperate from the market rate units within the development? Thanks.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    The St. Lawrence neighbourhood in Toronto is a mixed income area. I can scan and email an article from Plan Canada journal if you like.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    There is a mixed income devleopment in Kalamazoo Michigan. I don't know a lot of details but I'm sure if you call the City of Kalamazoo Planning Dept they could give you some more info.

Here is what I know. It is a devleopment located in the Edison neighborhood behind the Post Office and Greenhouses on Miller Road.

I know that it has some duplex units that are low/mod income rentals then there are some townhouses locate on the Hill that overlook the city that are available for purchase.

The devleopment is nearly finished or just fininshed in the last 6 months.

If you called the City they might beable to help you more. Sorry for the skecthy details.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The Mass. Housing Partnership has a website which tells the story of how a number of mixed-income projects were developed, and discusses how low-income housing was included into the design.
    http://www.mhp.net/community/affordable_housing.php

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by erosenda
    Is anyone aware of where I could find some information about some specific characteristics of developments made under inclusionary zoning. Just some things like styles, sizes, # of units, whether or not the affordable units are integrated or seperate from the market rate units within the development? Thanks.
    The Ashley Mews project in Ann Arbor had a requirement for a specific number of affordable units to be constructed within this 7-story downtown development, back in 2001. Recent discussion about the project in general, at Ann Arbor is Overrated. The official Ashley Mews website.

Visit the Arbor Update blog and read this great article about Ann Arbor's affordable housing requirement:

A2 Council to hear two affordable housing cash-outs

20 November 04

Earlier this Fall, the City Council approved a measure to reduce the requirement that developments in PUD zones (Planned Unit Development) make 20% of housing units “affordable”. The new requirement allows developers to pay into the city’s affordable housing trust fund instead of providing the units, with the city to use the money to subsidize affordable housing construction...
    And for a little perspective about the goings-on about downtown livability in downtown Ann Arbor, be sure to check out the official City Downtown Residential Task Force website complete with meeting minutes and reports.

And finally, there may be a few clues to your questions in the City of Ann Arbor's Consolidated Plan. It expires this June.

I hope this helps.

Registered
    Dec 2002
    City West in Cincinnati has been relatively successful.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Jan 2013, 9:39 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Aug 2008, 11:25 AM
  3. Housing income tax credits
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 Jul 2005, 10:05 AM
  4. Why mixed income emphasis?
    Land Use and Zoning