Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Law School vs. Planning School

Registered
    Jan 2005

Law School vs. Planning School

More and More, I'm beginning to believe that it would have been better just to go to law school and become a Land use attorney. It seems like planning is increasingly becoming litigous, especially where there are growth management statutes.

Know what i know now, I'd have spent the extra year in Law school instead of plannign school.

Bingo. If my grades are good enough I'll hit up law school after graduation.

Registered
    Nov 2004

Dual degree programs

FYI for those interested in both fields...
    Some schools offer dual degree programs in Planning and Law. When I was at the University of Iowa there were a few pursuing this option. It was / is a 4 year program, which can be tough to muddle through (I was tired after 2 years), but from the people I know who did it, the rewards are great.

     
    Registered
    Dec 2004

which degree to pursue first

I hope to be in a dual degree program for law and urban planning at UNC next year. If I'm not accepted to the dual degree, however, and decide to do these programs consecutively at different schools, which should i attend first, law or planning? From what I've heard it is wise to attend law school first, then get a masters in planning after I have a better idea of where I want to work in the land use field. How much should location play into my decision if I think I want to work in the Boston area, but would be happy to go to school anywhere in the country. More specifically, I'm choosing between UC Hastings, Northeastern and UConn law schools or UPenn, Tufts, and UNC planning programs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Dec 2011, 5:08 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 1:57 PM
  3. Planning school
    Student Commons
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 06 May 2007, 4:52 PM
  4. Law School & Planning
    Student Commons