Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh, you may stay in the south wing as long as you wish

2 6.06%
  • 5-10 days

1 3.03%
  • 3-5 days

17 51.52%
  • just the weekend thanks...and I gotta work Monday - OK?

12 36.36%
  • We don't cotton to company 'round here

1 3.03%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good Company

Registered
    Feb 2004

Good Company

'Good company like good fish goes bad after three days' is how the old saying goes. I suppose it might make a difference as to why the company is there, who the company is, how you know them and maybe who your current housemates are, but do you think there's any merit to these words of wisdom? How long do you tolerate houseguests?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Basically one or two days. Usually its my friends who stay because they shouldn't drive home, about two nights is good for me. Anything after that they are in danger of being yelled at, or worse!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I voted "We don't cotton to company 'round here". With being married to Mr. Zone - aka Mr. EXTREEEME Introvert -- we haven't had much company in all the time we have been married. Our kids are so much like him in some ways. Sigh.

This is like "Extrovert Hell", you know?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have an Aunt who lives in Keystone, CO and she has engraved wood plaque that states -
    The Guest of a Guest can not invite a Guest

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I didn't answer for fear of offending Budgie. How long you going to be here?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I voted for a weekend; and that goes for when I'm visiting someone, too.

I need my space and alone time.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear's answer is gender-specific.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    I have an Aunt who lives in Keystone, CO and she has engraved wood plaque that states -
    The Guest of a Guest can not invite a Guest
    I sort of wish I needed such a plaque.

I have stayed for weeks at a time when visiting relatives of mine -- like when Mr. Zone was in Saudi and I attended my sister's wedding in Georgia and then the Flood of '93 delayed my return to Kansas.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    As a person who has couched surfed alot in his life, I'd say you become intrusive after about 3 days.

When i am a guest, i always try to bring a gift (beer/wine/flowers etc) and try to take up as little space as possible and blend in. I've stayed at one friends a few times, and they did not even know I was there. Got there after they had gone to bed, left before the got up.

In my new apartment, I would have troubles having company for more than over night, unless they shared my bed with me.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    Yeah three days is it, in my experience. At that point, they're glad you're gone when you leave, but not resentful.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I only like for certain people to visit. All others can stay away (aka - father-in-law and father). I always wish that I can get my act together and have welcoming gifts for my guests, but I am never that coordinated. I am just happy I get the house cleaned.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Maister, you should have said something, I am sure I can find another couch to crash on....

In all reality, 3-5 days if invited. Uninvited would be no more than 1 to 2.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Seems like the company we get is pretty much family who flop whilst en route from point A to point B (hey, Maister, we gotta 12 hour delay and have to catch a connecting flight from Muskogee to Rejkavik - can we crash at your pad?). Typically, they're only there for one night and a minimum of entertaining is required, although there have been some notable exceptions. My experience with folks staying beyond three days is that it can quickly become tiring, though not necessarily. Seems like the ones who make me happy to keep the welcome mat out are the ones who show genuine appreciation for the hospitality and are willing to pitch in to help. I also tend to feel far more comfortable in the role of host than of guest (what if I want to get up at 6:00 am on Saturday morning - harder to do as a guest...)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Are *family* guests?
    Batter up!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Good timing on this thread Maister, the FIL is coming down this weekend! I don't mind having him down, but it does tend to screw up other weekend plans that we might have. And he always wants to "help" with the renovations.

We don't get too many overnight guests at Chateau Tranplanner - usually just have people over for an evening.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Are *family* guests?
    Anyone who does not normally reside within your dwelling may be considered a guest for the purpose of this discussion.

On a slightly different note, does anyone have any stock favorite things they like to do to entertain guests (other than that first thought that came to mind)? Maybe some local tourist sight you like to show off or a favorite restaurant you take them for dinner, maybe you go out and spend the evening under the freeway overpass with a 40 oz. ("Around here we like Colt 45, but you say Mickeys is popular where your at? Whoah, wasn't that a big truck that just went by......")

Registered
    Apr 2003
    One of my ex girlfriends was always a great host. She worked for a county convention and visitors bureau and would make bags or baskets with the following items if she had houseguests that would be around for a few days.

 Loan them an extra set of keys so that they can come and go as they please.
     A book or magazine that showing the entertainment, cultural, and eating opportunities in your community. (if big enough)
     Fresh towels. These can be picked up at a big box store for cheep.
     Map of the community and/or area.
     A ‘goodie’ bag of a few little trinkets or non-perishable foods from the area.
     A few post cards for them to send to friends and family
     An information card with local emergency numbers, your cell phone number, and other information that they might need.
     Small first aid kit and sun block.

These items will make your guest feel at home.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I usually like no more than a weekend, just because we have a 2-bd apartment with one bath, and the level of entertaining I am required to give them while they are here.

If I have to constantly entertain them from morning till night, I will not be happy, but if they are more laid back or came with their own list of things to do, I do much better.

Now, if I had a bigger place with at least one more full bath and the guests didn't require constant entertaining, they could potentially stay longer, but not much.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Depends

If the guests clean up after themselves......up to 5 days....otherwise, get the hell out....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My EX stays at my house with the boys every other weekend so I voted "weekend only" because I know that by Sunday I am through having someone else in the house...other than that I dont have a lot of houseguest, all of my friends live in the vicinity as well as all of my family...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    One of my ex girlfriends was always a great host. She worked for a county convention and visitors bureau and would make bags or baskets with the following items if she had houseguests that would be around for a few days.

 Loan them an extra set of keys so that they can come and go as they please.
     A book or magazine that showing the entertainment, cultural, and eating opportunities in your community. (if big enough)
     Fresh towels. These can be picked up at a big box store for cheep.
     Map of the community and/or area.
     A ‘goodie’ bag of a few little trinkets or non-perishable foods from the area.
     A few post cards for them to send to friends and family
     An information card with local emergency numbers, your cell phone number, and other information that they might need.
     Small first aid kit and sun block.

These items will make your guest feel at home.
    Damn, That wouldn't make me feel at home. You'd have to make me mow the yard and re-roof the house in order to accomplish that. I'd feel that I don't deserve all that effort and feel I'd have to repay for the gesture.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    family is 'sometimes' different though... and the distance to travel to visit.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Anyone who does not normally reside within your dwelling may be considered a guest for the purpose of this discussion... does anyone have any stock favorite things they like to do to entertain guests (other than that first thought that came to mind)?
    My mother is coming to visit next week and will be here for 5.5 days. I'm not sure if it's too long, definitely longer than I'd planned, but I guess we'll see. I definitely require time to myself each day so this will be a challenge!
    RE: stocking items, I plan to go to the store and get some of the things she likes to drink and eat but we'll definitely eat out a lot. I want to introduce her to some of the ethic foods that she's never tried.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    My mother is coming to visit next week and will be here for 5.5 days.
    Are you sure that isn't 5.51345289 days.....he he he..... Just mixing it up with you a little bit......
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2002
    It hasn't really been a problem at Casa Mud. We actually have two rooms that could be used for guests, but we haven't had many. The longest anyone has stayed is 2-3 days, and that's fine by us.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Company towns
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 11 Oct 2013, 8:26 AM
  2. Writing to the company
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Jul 2012, 12:27 PM
  3. The Company Town