Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball predictions

Registered
    Nov 2003

Major League Baseball predictions

Baseball season is right around the corner. Let's predict the outcome of the season for our favorite teams. I'll start. With the addition of Mark Mulder, the St. Louis Cardinals will go 110-52 in their final season in the 2nd or 3rd version of Busch Stadium.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The Chicago White Sox will go 94-68 and clinch the central by 2 games. They will win the first round of the AL wild card series and loose in the second.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    Baseball season is right around the corner. Let's predict the outcome of the season for our favorite teams. I'll start. With the addition of Mark Mulder, the St. Louis Cardinals will go 110-52 in their final season in the 2nd or 3rd version of Busch Stadium.
    Well, I definitely like the idea, but 110 might be a tad high. I'll say we repeat the 105 wins from last year and avenge our WS loss against the hated Yankees.

As Howard Roarke would say: little red ballplaying birds, or something to that effect.
    Je suis Charlie Hebdo. Je suis Bataclan. Je suis Bruxelles. Je suis Nice.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I don't know how many wins they'll get...but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Blue Jays will NOT finish last in the division this year.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The Brewers will NOT win the NL Central again this season.

Mike

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    The AL East will end up Yankees, Red Sox 1-2 for the gazillionth year in a row. Sox get the wild card....I'll stop predicting there....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    The Detoit Tigers will dominate this season, loosing a total of 20 games. They will take the world series in 4 games, and have a record number of grand slams for the season.

Flying monkeys will also take over the Auto Companies, Dogs will walk up right on their back legs, and it will rain champagne on the first of the month.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    The AL East will end up Yankees, Red Sox 1-2 for the gazillionth year in a row. Sox get the wild card....I'll stop predicting there....
    Please allow me to finish...

The Yanks will avenge the '04 ALCS by sweeping the Sox in the '05 rematch. Then, they'll continue on a roll by pounding the Cards in four straight in the WS.

Of course, I could be wrong...
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The Sosa-less Cubs will be focused and refreshed and make a run for the pennant. Another crazy fan in Wrigley steals a ctahable ball for the final out, and St. Louis wins the pennant to go on and beat the Yankees.

Oh and the Rockies will be nothing but an overpaid AAA team and trade away their top players at the end of the season again, for small meaningless prospects. But look for them to be sockin' dingers at home...
    ...but that one is too obvious.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    The Minnesota Twins will win the Central for the 4th year in a row with a 95-67 record out pacing the second place Indians by 2 1/2 games, and the third place White Sox by 4 games. Even though the Sox are my fav team. Just didn't do enough in the off season.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    The Chicago White Sox will go 94-68 and clinch the central by 2 games. They will win the first round of the AL wild card series and loose in the second.
    You're funny.

The cubs will start out strong and then flame out halfway through. I'm not going to guess the game split. It'll be something impressive but insufficient.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    You're funny.

The cubs will start out strong and then flame out halfway through. I'm not going to guess the game split. It'll be something impressive but insufficient.

I'll trust that one more, you probably get more Cubbies coverage than I would...

But if you go to Coors Field for a Rox/Cubs game, most of the fans are for the Cubs
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    The "Great Karnack" (Bear) will predict the 2005 baseball season:

American League
    EAST - New York Yankees (Yuck!)
    CENTRAL - Minnesota Twins (I wish it was the Tigers!)
    WEST - Texas Rangers
    WILDCARD - Boston (I again wish it was the Tigers!)

National League
    EAST - Atlanta (They win every year)
    CENTRAL - St. Louis
    WEST - San Diego
    WILDCARD - San Francisco

World Series will be between Yankees & St. Louis.

St. Louis wins in six (6) games.

Bear On The Mound
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Opening Day For Tigers

Ya better plan on congressional hearings to deal with "breaking up the Detroit Tigers".....they opened the 2005 season today by thumping Kansas City. The final score was 11-2. Dmitri Young hit three (3) home runs, being only the third player in major league history to sock three (3) round-trippers on opening day. Jeremy Bonderman, at age 22, became the youngest pitcher to start an opening day game in years. The last youngster to do this was Doc Gooden.

The Tigers are in first! Woo-hoo.

Kurt Bearson
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Ya better plan on congressional hearings to deal with "breaking up the Detroit Tigers".....they opened the 2005 season today by thumping Kansas City. The final score was 11-2. Dmitri Young hit three (3) home runs, being only the third player in major league history to sock three (3) round-trippers on opening day. Jeremy Bonderman, at age 22, became the youngest pitcher to start an opening day game in years. The last youngster to do this was Doc Gooden.

The Tigers are in first! Woo-hoo.

Kurt Bearson
    The boy and I watched it. Yes, DY was impressive, but he's just a DH--not a complete player. And one game does not make a season. Keep an eye on those Giants in the NL West.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The Phils will beat the Nats 8-4 to start the season....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2003
    With the wild card races in full swing and playoffs (Imagine my Jim Mora Sr. voice) are around the corner, I thought I would revive this thread. I don't mean to boast but St. Louis has been in first place since mid-April. However, we're hurting and hurting bad. Reggie Sanders still isn't back yet. Larry Walker is still hurt and may be nearing the end of his career and Scott Rolen is lost for the season due to his shoulder surgery. It is possible but not likely that St. Louis could sweep the major postseason awards this year. Cy Young: Chris Carpenter, Triple Crown or Batting Champ: Albert Pujols, MVP: Pujols. World Series winner.

Baseball was kind of exciting here in the Mid-Atlantic for the first half of the season. The Orioles were in first place as were the Nationals. But the Orioles are the Orioles and the Nationals are the Expos in DC and both have wavered on their seasons. The Nationals still have a chance in making the playoffs, but it isn't likely.
    At the beginning of the season, I adopted the Tigers as my stepchild team because I thought they would do something this season. To their credit, they have been improving for the last 4 years.
    So how is everyone else doing?
    Last edited by the north omaha star; 23 Aug 2005 at 4:26 PM.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The Braves will win the NL East (and sports writers, broadcasters and other "experts" will finally learn to stop picking against them in the preseason) as usual, the Braves will lose in the NLCS as usual, and I'll throw my TV through the window after having to listen to Tim McCarver for six or seven games.

Quote Originally posted by Bubba
    The Braves will win the NL East (and sports writers, broadcasters and other "experts" will finally learn to stop picking against them in the preseason) as usual, the Braves will lose in the NLCS as usual, and I'll throw my TV through the window after having to listen to Tim McCarver for six or seven games.
    Listening to McCarver is the only reason stated above worthy of throwing the TV out the window (while still plugged in, BTW). What a blow-hard Mets fan he is...

I'm pretty happy with St. Louis -- even with the injuries, they've gone out and played LaRussa ball -- they grind, grind, grind.
    Je suis Charlie Hebdo. Je suis Bataclan. Je suis Bruxelles. Je suis Nice.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    So how is everyone else doing?
    AL
    I selected:

BoSox 1, Yanks 2 in the East
    Chicago White Sox 1 Twins 2 in the Central (Indians a close 3)
    Angels 1 and As 2 in battling out in the West.

NL
    Atlanta 1, Mets 2 in the East
    Cards 1 Cubs 2 Astros 3 in the Central
    SF 1, Dodger 2, in the West.

I’m doing pretty good. I never expected the start the WhiteSox had, the consistency the Cards have or the pathetic play in the NL West. Who’da thunk the Nationals would play so well and that the ‘stros and would resurrect from over 15 under .500?

Now for the final, wrap up predictions!

AL

East:
    Boston: 93-69
    Yankees: 87-75

Central:
    Chicago: 94-68
    Cleveland: 89-73

West:
    Angels: 92-70
    As: 90-72*

*wildcard

NL:

East:
    Atlanta: 92-70
    Florida:89-73*

Central:
    St Louis: 103-41
    Houston: 88-74

West:
    San Diego: 80-84
    Arizona: 73-89

*wildcard
    Playoffs;

ALDS

Chicago vs As – Chicago wins series 3-2
    Boston vs Angles – Boston wins series 3-2

ALCS

Chicago vs Boston Chicago wins series 4-2

NLDS

STL vs Florida – STL wins series 3-1
    Atlanta vs San Diego – Atlanta wins series 3-1

STL vs Atlanta – Atlanta STUNS STL series 4-3

WS

Chicago vs Atlanta – Chicago wins series 4-2.

Ok my bias shows, but.. c’mon it’s been since 1917 since we’ve one of these things in Chicago.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Here is my major league prediction.

A baseball will be thrown by a pitcher and struck hard by a batter. It will go into the stands. A fat kid or a fat guy with no shirt will catch it. There will be a scuffle.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2005
    The Red Sox are just as unpredictable as always. There are two major differences this year: 1) there’s no talk of a curse or any such nonsense, and 2) we’re not talking about how many games we’re behind the Yankees.

It’s so exciting knowing the Sox could win it all or blow up at any time. The pitching looks like the weak link at this time, but hopefully Schilling will settle down when he returns to the starting rotation.

Naturally, I would love to see the Sox win consecutive championships (like the Pats) , but nothing will ever top last year’s victory, ever. (I’ll never forget being at game 4 against the Yankees in the ALCS)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    How is it that you have such perception powers? You made your prediction in March, when no one was forecasting anything like that for the Sox. As it stands now, the White Sox could go .500 the rest of the season and win 96 games.

You are the man, boiker. Go, go-go Sox!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    How is it that you have such perception powers? You made your prediction in March, when no one was forecasting anything like that for the Sox. As it stands now, the White Sox could go .500 the rest of the season and win 96 games.

You are the man, boiker. Go, go-go Sox!
    You said it in your last line.. go go white sox. they are a "smartball" team. clutch hittting, stolen bases, sacrafice bunts, etc. That is how to play baseball. That is the type of baseball I've been dying to see for years and I knew it would be a formula to out do the Twins. That being said. I can't believe the twins aren't 2 games back right now (Tori Hunter injury really hurts). I fully expected Cleveland to be competitive and close in the race as well. I expect more from the Tigers. I thought they'd go .500 or a game or two better.

Wish I would have made a bet in Vegas on the sox back in March.. Over/Under was 80!!!!!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlanBoston
    Naturally, I would love to see the Sox win consecutive championships (like the Pats) , but nothing will ever top last year’s victory, ever. (I’ll never forget being at game 4 against the Yankees in the ALCS)
    You're due to win another championship...

in 2090!!!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 6:30 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last post: 07 Apr 2010, 8:48 AM
  3. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:28 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Mar 2005, 4:08 PM
  5. Replies: 29