Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Major League Baseball Congressional steroid hearing predictions

Registered
    Mar 2004

Major League Baseball Congressional steroid hearing predictions

After all of the brown organic matter hits the fans today (2005-03-17), what will eventually come of it? Where in the range of action will things go - 'no action at all - business as usual', 'treat it the same way that the Olympics do' (including expunging all performance records that have even a hint of that odor), or at what point in between?

As for me, for example, I still recognize Roger Maris' 61 as the record for individual home runs in a 162 game season and I will *NOT* recognize Barry Bonds' total if he breaks Henry Aaron's 755 career home run record.

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My prediction concerning the outcome of the congressional hearings on steroid use in baseball is......that the American public will successfully be distracted from real issues that congress should be dealing with!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    My prediction concerning the outcome of the congressional hearings on steroid use in baseball is......that the American public will successfully be distracted from real issues that congress should be dealing with!
    I was thinking the same thing! Is this really how congress should be spending their time? If I was a rep, could I with a straight face say that I best served my constituents by standing up to "big baseball"?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I agree as well. The saddest part of it all, is that it doesn't really matter. The only people it matters to the the sport writers and the talking heads on ESPN. The players are dumb enough to do that to their own bodies, then let them live with the consequences. They are semi-adults and can make their own decisions regarding the trade-off that steriods involve. If we are going to screen anyone, screen the high school and college kids.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 7:30 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last post: 07 Apr 2010, 9:48 AM
  3. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 12:28 PM
  4. Major League Baseball predictions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 57
    Last post: 24 Oct 2005, 2:53 PM