Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parsing public agency job postings

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Parsing public agency job postings

I'm a planning student trying to get a sense of what opportunities are out there...

I'm sure this can vary substantially by geographic area and agency, but I'm really curious to know how the salary and experience ranges listed on public agency job ads relate to the salary and experience of the person who actually gets hired.

I ask this because I've seen some ads for senior planner positions in California with salary ranges of like 85-110k, with a minimum experience requirement of only four years!

In your experience, do candidates with only the minimum experience actually have a shot at most public sector planning jobs?

Registered
    Mar 2004

No

Quote Originally posted by peligro
    I'm a planning student trying to get a sense of what opportunities are out there...

I'm sure this can vary substantially by geographic area and agency, but I'm really curious to know how the salary and experience ranges listed on public agency job ads relate to the salary and experience of the person who actually gets hired.

I ask this because I've seen some ads for senior planner positions in California with salary ranges of like 85-110k, with a minimum experience requirement of only four years!

In your experience, do candidates with only the minimum experience actually have a shot at most public sector planning jobs?
    I would say NO......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I would say NO......
    I agree. They really like more than the minimum requirements.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I can tell you that planning managers and the like where I live in California have at least 10 years of planning experience under the belts... and, its more likely they've been planner for around 15 years before they've hit that prestigeous rank. Then, they have the honor of dealing with supervising other planners.... which, I'm sure isn't always a pleasant experience

Registered
    May 1997
    I have never hired anyone who had only the minimum, except possibly for interns, and even then you always look for something extra.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005

So how does one actually become a planner then?

Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    I have never hired anyone who had only the minimum, except possibly for interns, and even then you always look for something extra.
    I have had this experience.. TWICE. once when I graduated with a BS and again when I got a Masters and had some internship experience. I have pretty much written off any jobs with a government ageny at this point because I don't have the connections to get that "first job". Unfortunately, I still had bills to pay so I did what I needed to and ended up spending about six years in a call center. I am thinking of doing consulting and having a clientale of neighborhood organixatons that may not be able to afford a planning firm. I don't want to give up on my career goal. (BTW, if I hear "just keep trying" one more time I am going to scream (well maybe not scream but groan profusely).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Consulting firm vs. public agency?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 06 Jan 2014, 10:05 AM
  2. Association zoning job postings
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Sep 2010, 5:54 PM
  3. Public agency vs private firm