Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Greetings from Rain City

Registered
    Mar 2005

Greetings from Rain City

Hi there, I'm joining in from Vancouver, B.C. Right now I work for an R&D company that develops technologies to clear land of landmines/UXO. As you can tell, I have an engineering background... but I'm in transition and am starting an urban planning master's degree in the fall. Anyways, that's where I'm at! ciao.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Welcome aboard! Hope you find this site interesting and useful, for studies and for recreation too Stick around and don't be afraid to join the party!

Cheers!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hello from Rain City as well, San Diego, California. Normally, we are drought city, this year its the opposite. Welcome!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from California!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from SW Indiana in the Central Time Zone.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    A Florida panhandle welcome to you.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Welcome from a former British Columbian.

Welcome from another of the Hoosier contingent.

Say, you don't actually go mess with UXO do you? Yikes!
    Thanks for registering and feel free to jump in - it's nice in here.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cpasion
    Hi there, I'm joining in from Vancouver, B.C. Right now I work for an R&D company that develops technologies to clear land of landmines/UXO. As you can tell, I have an engineering background... but I'm in transition and am starting an urban planning master's degree in the fall. Anyways, that's where I'm at! ciao.
    Hello hello from a fellow British Columbian. I hail from Port Coquitlam, although I am currently studying at the University of Waterloo for a bachelor from the School of Planning. Best of luck with the masters. Will you be attending UBC's graduate program?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I don't play with live UXO... I have messed around with just the metal casings, TNT free! Have a great day.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Hello hello from a fellow British Columbian. I hail from Port Coquitlam, although I am currently studying at the University of Waterloo for a bachelor from the School of Planning. Best of luck with the masters. Will you be attending UBC's graduate program?
    Hi there....thanks for the greetings. I actually can't decide between the program at UBC or the one at U of T. Any thoughts on which you think is better? I did my undergrad at McGill and am kind of itching to head out east again. Not sure what to do! See ya.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    A fellow Vancouverian joined a couple weeks ago. I had a nice chin wag with Patrick Moore about 2 weeks ago.

Cpasion, welcome to cyburbian --- where Maister reveals a dark side, Michaelskis selfinfects with foot in mouth disease and RJ gets his keyboard sticky. Enjoy !!!!
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cpasion
    Hi there....thanks for the greetings. I actually can't decide between the program at UBC or the one at U of T. Any thoughts on which you think is better? I did my undergrad at McGill and am kind of itching to head out east again. Not sure what to do! See ya.
    Well, I'm only just finishing my first year, but the two schools that appear most promising for graduate studies in planning are UBC and McGill. Being that you have already graduated from McGill I am sure you would rather not study there again.

UBC is quite exciting right now, what with its architectural competition for University Boulevard. As well, I find the West Coast to be more enticing (both for its landscape and its attitude towards planning), personally - but if the east coast is drawing you, then the east coast is drawing you.

I've not heard much of U of T's graduate program in planning - what are its highlights?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome from the Washington DC area
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hello from the centre of the universe

Don't really have any advice on U of T v. UBC for a Master's degree...sorry. I'd be tempted to say take the degree in the area of the country you most want to end up.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Welcome from Missouri

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello from Houston!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Howdy from North Florida!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Greetings from Kansas!

Welcome from someone who used to live in Rain City (Seattle)! I now reside and work in Wisconsin....but I do miss the northwest coast.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Rain gardens
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 27 Aug 2010, 12:43 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 Jul 2007, 7:25 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Dec 2005, 4:03 PM
  4. Rain Handlers
    Friday Afternoon Club