Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Casitas

Casitas

Do folks have opinions/information on "casitas" in residential developments in your area? While touring sewer systems a couple of years ago, a developer wanted to show off his new residential development which included a large number of patio homes, about half of which had attached casitas - separate entrance offices or guest quarters. He said these units sold incredibly quickly with most being purchased by construction contractors to use as their home office. It made a lot of sense, as so many families seem to have at least one home-based business anymore and a separate entrance is important for both tax purposes and the occasional business guest. Are casitas common in new developments or growing in popularity?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Follow the $$
    Do folks have opinions/information on "casitas" in residential developments in your area? While touring sewer systems a couple of years ago, a developer wanted to show off his new residential development which included a large number of patio homes, about half of which had attached casitas - separate entrance offices or guest quarters. He said these units sold incredibly quickly with most being purchased by construction contractors to use as their home office. It made a lot of sense, as so many families seem to have at least one home-based business anymore and a separate entrance is important for both tax purposes and the occasional business guest. Are casitas common in new developments or growing in popularity?
    I don't think our code would allow this

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Our zoning code allows for a Home Occupation to occur within an existing dwelling-as long as it does not occupy more than 1/4 of the total living space, and, the dwelling is not modified to accomodate the home-based business otherwise, it falls into the category of 'commercial' and has to comply with a variety of commercial building and zoning codes.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Can anyone post photos of this phenomenom? Sounds interesting.

I don't have any photos, (are there any Scottsdale planners who can help out here?)but I came up with an ordinance for them. As I mentioned, the casitas we looked at were attached, essentially a "studio" set in the front and at one side of the house. I didn't see the inside, but think they were just a room with bathroom and separate entrance. They weren't distinguishable from the main part of the home. The attached ordinance does not list any business uses as allowable, but I bet a lot are being used this way. It seems like a special use permit for a home business would apply here in the same manner as for the rest of the residence. Would it in your jurisdiction?

www.ivins.com/.../40__2003%20Ordinances/ 2003-10%20%20%20Standards%20for%20Guest%20Houses%20or%20Casitas.pdf

Registered
    Feb 1998
    We eliminated special use permits for home occupations. Now they are permitted, with the usual standards. Makes life easier on us and them.

I had not heard of the casita concept, but it makes sense. Historically there are many examples of offices within wings/ells of residential structures. As a guest room, it could easily become a rental room, which can be nice also.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So... are they connected internally? (i.e. does a hallway lead to it as well, or are they completely self contained thru that additional door?)

+ Reply to thread