Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning software wish list

Registered
    Mar 2005

Planning software wish list

Hello all! I have just registered after lurking awhile. Here is a question for you:

I am a pretty knowledgable computer science guy with (at this point) an amatuer interest in the planning profession. I was toying with the idea of a software startup in this field, so I was wondering: if you could commision any helpful piece of software, what would it be? What do you like/dislike about the current state of the planning (or related topics) software industry?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by my mind loops
    Hello all! I have just registered after lurking awhile. Here is a question for you:

I am a pretty knowledgable computer science guy with (at this point) an amatuer interest in the planning profession. I was toying with the idea of a software startup in this field, so I was wondering: if you could commision any helpful piece of software, what would it be? What do you like/dislike about the current state of the planning (or related topics) software industry?
    I'd like high-powered GIS software that is as easy to use as my Macintosh.

Mike

Registered
    May 2003
    Could you make a software that replaces elected officials? That would be pretty useful. Also a robot that will attend public hearings.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Could you make a software that replaces elected officials? That would be pretty useful. Also a robot that will attend public hearings.
    Yeah- I hear that!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What already exists except cheaper, not buggy, and sans the cryptic interfaces. Similar improvements needed as any other field, more or less.

Registered
    Mar 2005

asdfasdf

Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    I know you were joking, but what about something along the lines of automatic speech-to-text transcription? Or public-meeting-facilitating software (along the same lines as design-charette facilitating software).

Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    What already exists except cheaper, not buggy, and sans the cryptic interfaces. Similar improvements needed as any other field, more or less.
    Yeah, I know everything could be better, esepcially in the usability department. Maybe the solution is to make everything web-based?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 14 Apr 2014, 2:49 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Oct 2012, 2:04 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Mar 2009, 8:14 AM
  4. CommunityViz planning software
    Information Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Jun 2007, 2:31 PM