Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess the City 229

Registered
    Apr 2003

Guess the City 229

. . . or in this case - guess the town.
    I'm back from my trip with those pictures i had promised.

If you can guess the general area that's good enough because this is pretty obscure. Still, you should be more specific than a state/province and definitely more specific than a country. I don't really expect anyone to get it on the first picture so i'll put the others up after a few guesses.

Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Massongex, Switzerland?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Great Bear Lake
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    sorry mendelman, there's no french spoken here.

the local school - the writing on the front of it, "Casa da Scola", holds a small clue.

Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Somewhere in the Italian Alps?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2003
    somewhere in the pyrnees?
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    somewhere in the pyrnees?
    That is my guess too...not trying to be a copycater, though.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I think he is trying to fool ya, heck thats not even a city. My guess is Bitteroot Valley MT

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    I think he is trying to fool ya, heck thats not even a city. My guess is Bitteroot Valley MT
    Awfully interesting license plate for Montana My guess is Bolzano (sp?) Italy.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    All good guesses but it's not Spanish, Italian, or Catalan - thus it's not in Spain, Italy, France, or Andorra but it is a romance language so you're not completely off.

Here it is again

the Church is the center of the Village, the steeple of which can be seen in the second picture i posted.

hint: mendelman and zman both said the alps in roughly the same vicinty so they're both equally as close.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    to further confuse you this country isn't a member of the European Union.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Canton Ticino, Switzerland.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ok, I'll keep with the Alp theme and guess... the Julian Alps area of Slovenia?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Cleveland Heights, OH....when you are in the top of the church steeple you can see Dan's house. He needs to shovel his walks.

Seriously.....I would have guessed Finland.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Is it in Liechenstein? I see no other options...

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Grisons Canton, Switzerland. The language is Romansch.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My father thinks that it may be somewhere in Romania.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    ablarc wins!

The village is Briel if you speak Romansch and Briegels if you're a German speaking tourist. Just 10k down the road (and i mean 'down') is the city of ilanz, also known as "the first city on the Rhine."

Registered
    Apr 2003

more pics of Briel/Briegels

In the winter months life in this village of 900 permanent residents revolves around the slopes. During the rest of the year it's all about farming and the slopes become pastures.

When school lets out there's a run on the lifts.

Spring was starting to show its face. Grass was poking out from the snow and conditions were wet towards the end of our trip.

Signs were popping up all over the place to warn people of bare patches and recently uncovered rocks.

Those little dots down there are the houses in village. It's just over 1k vertical. I never thought of myself as 'scared of heights', what with my 4 year stint as a paratrooper and all, but this was definitely a "gut check" moment.

Here's the village again, zoomed in a bit this time. When you're in the village everything is relatively flat and you don't get the feeling at all that you're actually perched on the side of a mountain.

Here you can see the village spilling over into the valley (it's still another 1000 meters+ to the valley floor) toward the neighborhing village of Tavanassa.

No matter how good you think you are on a pair of skiis as soon as you have a camera in your hand you're going to wind up on your ass. Here I am, seated, giving you a good idea of how steep the run was.

This guy, Eric, is a snowboard instructor. His dog is the supervisor. The dog gets on the chairlift with him, rides to the top, and chases him back down. When he (the dog) is tired he lays down near the bar and waits for Eric to come back down.

Here's the house i stayed in. Distant relatives of my girlfriend who had been to the states to visit last summer.

The house has been in the family since 1801. The family was originally from this village but moved to Basel many years ago and are now all German speaking.

Snow removal here consists of picking the snow up off the street and dumping it in the nearest yard. What i found intriguing was that they don't dump salt and sand on the roads to deal with the snow and ice . . . they spread fine stones. they don't choke streams or ruin aquifers.

Across the street was a hostel and between the two a nice view.

the same view later that evening

The center of town and the center of the town life, complete with working fountain. Every shop in town is within two blocks of the fountain.

Note the woman in the window. There are literally only 4 names in the phonebook in Briels.

Nearly every house has a barn attached to it and nearly every barn has animals in it. Predominantly sheep and cows that the owners put out to pasture on the mountain when the grass returns. The cheese maker/dairy is right around the corner from here. There's actually a pipeline, built in the late 60's, that runs from further up the mountain straight to the dairy in the village.

When the stuff hits the fan the Swiss in general and the rural Swiss in particular will make out just fine. There's a reason this language has survived the pressures of German, French and Italian. As well there's a reason the rest of them speak german with a Gaelic accent.

And not that the Swiss are without controversy but if there was ever a country worthy of "exporting" democracy I think it's this one. It's the only place that i know of that comes close to being a real democracy.

Leaving the mountains for destinations yet to be seen.

It's just beautiful. Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by drucee
    Canton Ticino, Switzerland.
    That is not French, Italian, Spanish or Portuguese. The only other Romance language spoken in a snowy country is Romanian. I thought it was Romania.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    That is not French, Italian, Spanish or Portuguese. The only other Romance language spoken in a snowy country is Romanian. I thought it was Romania.
    There are actually a lot more Romance languages than the big 5 that get talked about. Catalan is spoken on both sides of the Pyrenees and is the official language of Andorra. Corsican is spoken by most people on that island. Occidental/Provencal were spoken widely in southern France and adjoining areas of Italy until made all but illegal by the French state. Romansch/Ladin are spoken in isolated valleys all over the southern Alps.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well....as least I got the right country.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Awesome picks. Took me on a much needed "trip" this morning...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sadist! This was not the right GTC for the first full day of spring!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 31
    Last post: 11 Aug 2005, 9:41 AM
  2. Guess the City 223
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 15 Feb 2005, 5:22 PM
  3. Guess the City 100
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 01 Aug 2003, 11:32 PM