Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: University of Michigan

Registered
    Mar 2005

University of Michigan

Hey guys
    I have got into the Urban Design program at University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.Could you please tell me how is this program on the basis of its criticality .Once a part of this program how easy is it to cross into urban planning once I am there?

Simone

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by simone
    Hey guys
    I have got into the Urban Design program at University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.Could you please tell me how is this program on the basis of its criticality .Once a part of this program how easy is it to cross into urban planning once I am there?

Simone
    I can help. I received my MUP from UM in 2002, which was the end of the first year for the MUD program. Michigan's MUD program is offically part of the School of Architecture and Urban Planning, so pursuing a dual degree with MUD & MUP is very easy. Actually, I think it is encouraged, by faculty and administration.

The whole TCAUP is highly regarded in the USA and internationally. Several of my fellow classmates were Indian, actually at least one was from Bombay.

Once you are in Ann Arbor and starting the program, I encourage you to fully captialize on the extensive resources of the University of Michigan. It's the greatest public University in the USA, but I guess I'm bias.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm....

Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Once you are in Ann Arbor and starting the program, I encourage you to fully captialize on the extensive resources of the University of Michigan. It's the greatest public University in the USA, but I guess I'm bias.
    Anyone from Virginia or Vermont want to challenge this point of view, or for that matter Mississippi or Arkansas (bwa ha ha ha ha)??......I'll stand up for Colorado......

he he he.....The One loves messing with Mendelman......
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jan 2005

considering UM's MUP

Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    I can help. I received my MUP from UM in 2002, which was the end of the first year for the MUD program. Michigan's MUD program is offically part of the School of Architecture and Urban Planning, so pursuing a dual degree with MUD & MUP is very easy. Actually, I think it is encouraged, by faculty and administration.

The whole TCAUP is highly regarded in the USA and internationally. Several of my fellow classmates were Indian, actually at least one was from Bombay.

Hi, I am going to the UM's MUP open house early April and I would like to hear from a graduate from the program. How easy was it for you to get your first job out of the program? Did you have to stay in the Ann Arbor area? How is the alumni network? I am trying to decide on where to go in the Fall. . .Thanks!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ACarea
    Hi, I am going to the UM's MUP open house early April and I would like to hear from a graduate from the program. How easy was it for you to get your first job out of the program? Did you have to stay in the Ann Arbor area? How is the alumni network? I am trying to decide on where to go in the Fall. . .Thanks!
    The program is highly respected in the Planning world, and UM is highly respected worldwide.

After I graduated in 2002, my wife I moved to Chicago and it took approx. 6 months for me to get my first job, but that may have been due to the fact that I had little professional working experience (went right from undergrad to grad), and I wasn't exactly the best student.

As for the alumni network, I'm not really sure about it because I haven't really tried to take advantage of it and I don't really believe in "networking".

Good luck with the open house, and be sure to checkout Ann Arbor while there. It's a great town.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    UM @ Ann Arbor is well known, even to the planners/urban designers here in Canada. I hear that it is a great program, exploit as much as you can from the faculty and its available resources.
    "First we shape our buildings, and then our buildings start shaping us." - Sir Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cmd uw
    UM @ Ann Arbor is well known, even to the planners/urban designers here in Canada. I hear that it is a great program, exploit as much as you can from the faculty and its available resources.
    Thanks a lot everyone. . after hearing this, I am pretty sure I will be in Ann Arbor this coming Sept.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2013, 11:12 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 1:37 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Mar 2012, 10:25 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Mar 2007, 2:38 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Feb 2006, 2:37 PM