Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you could live in a different country ...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

If you could live in a different country ...

I'm used to Canada, having grown up in Buffalo, but I like the idea of Australia. More planning jobs, cheaper housing (at least outside of Sydney), good public transit, and very liveable cities. Yes, there's still ugly suburban sprawl, billboards, and whatnot, but the people are friendly, they supposedly like us Americans (horrors!), and the culture is distinctive enough from that of Canada to make me feel like I'm really someplace different.

New Zealand is a possibility, but I think I'd go stir-crazy after a while. I'd consider the UK, too ... probably some 1920s or 1930s era London suburb, in a larger semi-attached house.

I want to visit South Africa -- incredible natural beauty, incredible weather, and an incomparable standard of living for that nation's middle class -- but crime has put a damper on things. I can leave the door of my house in my (typical) ungated community about three kilometers from the edge of Orlando, Florida's "'hood" unlocked; the worst crime I've encountered here is littering. People living miles from downtown J'burg cower behind gates and walls. Not good. I'd live there if I had to, knowing that there's worse, but from everything that I've seen and read, it seems South Africa is like the US .... as depicted in Robocop.

I wouldn't mind some Mexican community far from the border where there's a large expatriate community, such as San Miguel de Allende. I know enough Spanish to pick up the rest of the language through immersion, and I find Mexicans to be some of the friendlest, hardest-working people out there. Wonderful people that definitely deserve better. Completely disregarding language barriers, probably Germany. It's just a country that does things right. Beautiful women, too. Switzerland might also be a possibility.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Id go back to where i grew up Rep. de Panama'

ahhhh the diving, the beaches, the GREAT food and the most wonderful people. Sleep in a hammock every day a lunch, grow your own banannas, mangos, cashews, pineapple etc.

Life is so much slower and simpler back there a sarong and bikini top and your set!

ahhhhh memories
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Prolly the UK. I'd love to spend time with Journeymouse - he's cool.

Registered
    Nov 2001

The UK

But specifically London. London is like living in a dozen different countries...there are countless ethnic pockets. Every visit I make is overwhelming...the history, the people, the events, the food. Yes, I said the food. I love British pub fare. And no language barrier.

Though Deutschland is very close behind. Being 100% kraut, I have calling to Die Vatterland. I grew up immersed in the culture. Great history, food, and freuleins...and I can finally use those 3 years of college German classes...

I think I'd leave the planning side of life and become a bartender...or a professor. If I learned anything during undergrad and grad school it's that professors don't need any concept of reality. THey don't need to truly accomplish anything...a great career choice for a foreign land.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mexico... Cuernavaca, Morelos to be specific. I studied Spanish there for five weeks and loved it. Nice town, friendly people, plenty of foriegn students (mostly U.S. and German at the language school I attended), and not too far from Mexico City where the Mexican half of my family lives.

The funny thing is, in Mexico, our family is part of the social elite...foriegn money goes a long way. Here in the states, we muddle about in the low end of middle-class...too many of us are public servants to actually become wealthy...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Excellent question, but tough...

As much as I like touring through the U.S., I'm not sure I'd want to live there - like Dan with Canada, I'm used to the States. Why would I want to move there when I can stay here and get the same crappy TV shows?

I've always loved going back 'ome to the U.K. A pub on every corner, proper fish and chips, and twice daily mail delivery. I wouldn't do London though. I'd be somewhere up north - gimme those gritty industrial cities!

France. After watching the movie Ameliee (see fav movies thread), I have this urge to flee to Paris. I figure my fiancee can get a job in a small cafe, and I'll just sit there and watch the world go by... Only problem is, I'm not a huge France-fan. Maybe I can commute from Dover.

For some reason, I've always wanted to go to Argentina. No, I'm not a Nazi war criminal. I've heard Buenos Aires is a beautiful city. But what with the economic crisis and all....

Japan - I almost went right after university to teach English, seeing as there were no planning jobs going. Not so sure I want to live there, but I'd love to go visit for an extended period of time...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Wow - good thread!

With having to be gainfully employed -
    I'd have to go with Costa Rica - we went about 10 years ago (oh christ, that just made me feel OLD), and it really is the perfect temperature in the capital, San Jose, 70's all year round. a morning's drive would take you to either the atlantic or pacific, tons of hiking, canoeing and kayaking. services are amazingly cheap, although you will have to pay double for goods like washing machines and cars. but all in all, well worth it.

Staying a planner -
    I'd have to also go with Australia or New Zealand. Minimal language barrier, still extremely exotic - would absolutely love to visit.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Excellent question, but tough...

For some reason, I've always wanted to go to Argentina. No, I'm not a Nazi war criminal. I've heard Buenos Aires is a beautiful city. But what with the economic crisis and all....

I was a Rotary foreign exchange student in highschool. One of my girlfriends who went to Buenos Aires picked up head lice on the beach there. Since then, I've not been so keen on argentina.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Great expatriate community...

When I was in Prague, I was really impressed by the expatriate community (from many countries, the US included). I have had friends that went to architecture school there that have said that acclimating to the area and the people is easier than you would expect. Prague is just brimming with activity, and it's a beautiful, walkable city.

Other than that, I've thought of moving to Granada, Spain. Or just about any of the small towns in that area. Mostly because I love the weather and the history.

But I guess I settled for Canada for awhile... Don Cherry is foreign enough at times.

Originally posted by bturk
    Prolly the UK. I'd love to spend time with Journeymouse - he's cool.
    Do I laugh, scream or look flattered? Let's do this slowly. I. Am. A. Girl. I could drop me kecks to prove it, but it looses the effect somewhat on-line.

I wouldn't mind trying either Scotland or Wales, seeing as they now have (slightly) different governments. Not for long, just to try out. I'm mildly home sick for the North of England. It feels like a seperate country just 150 miles South. The people aren't especially different, but they don't have the rough but friendly quality they tend to have up North, specifically Yorkshire (which is to England as Texas is to the USA - they're already lobbying for their own government!)

Going abroad:
    I enjoyed spending all my summers in France, but my French is incredibly poor as most of the people I met were Dutch. So I'd like to try France or the Nederlands. I'd quite like to try the Bahamas as I was born there. Wouldn't mind trying New Zealand or Canada (both languages!) as I have (allegedly) relatives in both. Brazil for Gracey (sp?) jui jitsu, capeoira (sp?), rainforests and dancing, but I'd have to learn the lingo.
    Last edited by Journeymouse; 13 Aug 2002 at 10:24 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Journeymouse

Do I laugh, scream or look flattered? Let's do this slowly. I. Am. A. Girl. I could drop me kecks to prove it, but it looses the effect somewhat on-line.

I know - I tease. Luv ya!

Originally posted by bturk
    I know - I tease. Luv ya!
    Forgiven

Registered
    Dec 2001

foreign countries..

lets see.. if done so little traveling in my life that even... ohio would seem like an exotic country.

I can probably count the states i've visted on one hand, states i've driven through on two.

anyway..if i was to go anywhere... anywhere in the UK would be it. As long as it was a decent sized metro area.

Maybe.. Amsterdam? but I don't think I'd be able to get anything done.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Do I have to work?? That makes the question much more difficult. I've always loved Mexico. Rosarita Beach, Mexico would have to be my first choice.

Costa Rica, great mountain biking, surfing, I could go there.

Spain, close to the enchanted isle of Ibiza I could definitly go there.

I am part owner of a house in Italy so there is an idea.

I think if I ghad to work and actually make a living I'd go with Italy. I'd be completely lost in the language though. Oh well.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono

I am part owner of a house in Italy so there is an idea.
    I'll go to Italy! Where's your house... wanna rent it to me? I've only been to Florence, Rome, Venice, and a bit of the Adriatic Coast (including a freak snowstorm that had me stranded in Ancona)... but hey, I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'd head for Italy -- specifically Tuscany or north. I've probabally got most of Europe except Italy in my bloodline so it's not a looking homeward thing. I spent some time there among friendly and laid back people in a great climate. I felt right at home and the food was all fantastic. I'd be curious about Provence and even parts of Spain, but I know I could get along with English and pidgin Italian in Florence or Sienna.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    After reading Frances Mayes' books, I'd choose Italy, but as a life of leisure. UK is the second choice.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It is in Calabra....owned by the family. I've never been there though.

Registered
    Oct 2001

The BRD

I once went native in Germany for a few years. I liked it. I loved the urban cores - the fussgangerzones , the food, the driving, the people and the countryside. The TV sucked. I guess I would live in Berlin or Munich. But I must be allowed trips to the central US every now and then to shoot things and drive off road.

I think I would also like to try Ireland.
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

Registered
    Jul 2002

country

New Zealand

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've spent a lot of time in Canada and I guess I could see myself there - no language problems, with my US dollars could buy half of Ontario, and I like butter tarts. On the other hand, maybe it is time for something a little more exotic. New Zealand/Australia sounds good. I might enjoy Tuscany. Southern France is nice - maybe Languedoc or the Dordogne - but then again it is full of French people. When it comes to the UK, my choice would be Scotland. I have the legs to look good in a kilt.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by KMateja

I'd have to also go with Australia or New Zealand. Minimal language barrier, still extremely exotic - would absolutely love to visit.
    Good to see my country getting a few votes! It would probably be a big lifestyle change for many of you, but in a good way - tourists are always saying how friendly and laid-back we Kiwis are.

Kelly - what do you mean by exotic?? It's not a word that I would have chosen to describe NZ. Maybe exotic in comparison to where you live?

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by JNL

Kelly - what do you mean by exotic?? It's not a word that I would have chosen to describe NZ. Maybe exotic in comparison to where you live?
    NZ has Xena and Kevin Sorbo...that's kinda exotic. Is Xena a lesbian? She has confusing plotlines and re-runs are always on Oxygen TV...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Right.... yeah I suppose based on Xena you could get the impression it's exotic here. Of course it seems pretty normal to us, we dress like that every day and regularly battle with mischievous gods and demons etc - all in a day's work really.

Registered
    Nov 2001

Same 'ol, same 'ol

Thudor's tent is too close to the water...market set-up in residential area...

It's the same here...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2008, 5:21 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last post: 16 Apr 2008, 11:35 AM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last post: 03 Feb 2005, 10:24 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Nov 2003, 5:39 PM