Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your Living Will

Registered
    Aug 2001

Your Living Will

The Terri Schiavo case has been the topics of rants in my family. We all agree in the right to die. In fact it's one of the few things we all agree on, so if we ever have to deal with such a horrible decision, we are all ont he same page: Pull the plug and remove the tubes.

Regardless of your stance on the Terri Schiavo case in Florida, I would like to encourage everyone (if you haven't already) to download and fill out the forms to make their wishes clear in the case of an incapacitating medical condition. The forms are free and fairly simple. You do not need a lawyer to help you prepare the forms and most simply need to be signed in the presence of two witnesses.

For cyburbanite in my fair state of the union, Wisconsin Living Will and Power of Attorney Forms:

http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/forms/Ad...ADFormsPOA.htm

If you need these forms for someone outside the state of Wisconsin, searching online for "Living Will" and/or "Health Care Power of Attorney" with the name of the state needed will get you links to similar forms.

Please don't put your family through the hell that Terri's family has been through over the last 15 years.

I can't be bothered drawing up a living will, but I will use Cyburbia as a venue in lieu of this.

I hereby proclaim that if I am in a persistent vegetative state, as determined by 2 physicians who have personally examined me, the following are my directions regarding the use of life-sustaining procedures

1. Pull the plug
    2. Notify Cyburbia

signed
    Super Amputee Cat
    3/23/2005

Dan, if you don't here from me for over 180 days, see that this message finds the right party who can use it as a legal document to see that my wishes are fulfilled.
    Thank you.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat.

[i
    I hereby proclaim that if I am in a persistent vegetative state, as determined by 2 physicians who have personally examined me, the following are my directions regarding the use of life-sustaining procedures

1. Pull the plug
    2. Notify Cyburbia
    [/i]
    signed
    Super Amputee Cat
    3/23/2005

LMAO!

After last summer's hurricanes when I was able to reach TN via phone but had no internet connection, I asked her to please post our situation on Cyburbia. Needless to say, other friends thought my priorities were a bit mixed up.

Back OT: I have a will, but not a living will, but the Schiavo case has hit home, and I will likely fill out and file whatever legalese is necessary to pull the plug.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Anyone know how this works in Canada?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Everyone in my family has had one for years. Glad we did, we had to turn my mom off and her having a living will made it much easier when her parents tried the same things as Terri's parents.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

I agree with the philosophy that medical care is a bridge between illness and wellness. If the illness cannot be bridged, then it is time to let go.

Mrs. G and I have both wills and living wills/directives.

Eleven years ago my mother spent 110 days in the CTICU/ICU after triple bypass surgery and post-operative complications. They simply could not get her off the ventilator -- every time they'd set the assist down to the lowest setting, she'd start getting panicky. So they called a psych consult and he prescribed haldol to calm her and hopefully extubate her. Didn't work. Mrs. G and I flew up to the hospital around 4 july and she was in horrible shape -- couldn't communicate and didn't seem to recognize me or my wife. I demanded to see the charge nurse and told her I wanted mom off the haldol. Two days later mom recognized us and tried to communicate and a day after that she was released to a step-down unit. Through all of this, there were very difficult discussions between my brother, sister and me about the prognosis. I thank God that it didn't come to having to make a final decision because I believe my brother would have been against stopping assistance, while my sister and I would have favored it.

Do as Chet says -- download the forms and make sure people know your wishes!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    SAC I almost SNARFED reading your post.

Joking aside, Ditto what Gedunker said
    Do as Chet says -- download the forms and make sure people know your wishes!
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I think I'll do the same thing as SAC...

But I'll add:
    -Donate my organs if possible
    -Give my savings and money to charity.

There... Although I doubt this can me taken as a legal document here or anywhere...
    And I'm kind of young to have a will... but I guess my parents would be wise enough.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My will instructs the boys to scatter my ashes on the beach....or at a brewery. I forget now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    I can't be bothered drawing up a living will, but I will use Cyburbia as a venue in lieu of this.

1. Pull the plug
    2. Notify Cyburbia

signed
    Super Amputee Cat
    3/23/2005

Dan, if you don't here from me for over 180 days, see that this message finds the right party who can use it as a legal document to see that my wishes are fulfilled.
    Thank you.
    Post of the Day!!!!!! And I'm sure Dan won't mind a bit being the executor for a 100+ souls....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Anyone know how this works in Canada?
    Actually, up here its a little easier... the spouse, hetero or same sex, doesn't matter, makes the decision... It also depends which province you are in etc. Basically, it comes down to communicating your decision to others...
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Post of the Day!!!!!! And I'm sure Dan won't mind a bit being the executor for a 100+ souls....
    Actually, he posted it last night. So I think we have to make it Post of the Week.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    My friend that is in law school right now is going to do a living will as well as a regular will for me this weekend. I have to get it done for Mac's sake. However, all of my family knows to let me die and donate the organs.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    We did ours when we did our regular will and set up jack's trust.

My parents have designated me, the oldest of three, as their will executor, health proxy and given me power of attorney. My mom was really worried that my siblings would think I was getting too much responsibility and they were getting some sort of shaft, but my sister set her straight that getting to be these things isn't exactly a priviledge.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    This is very intresting, Mrs. Big Owl and I had this conversation not too long ago. I want to be unpluged. I also expressed my wishes to be cremated and distrubuted to folks that attend my wake so that they can spread my ashes where we shared memories. She says "so you want me to stick you in dime bags and pass you out to your friends. Do you think they'll be any takers. You'll just wind up in someones litter box."

OT: Does anyone remember hearing about the hospital in france or some where in europe, that had 10 or so folks die in the same room. The later found out that the clean crew was unpluging the life support to plug in the vaccum cleaner. This might be a urban legend but i believe it to be true.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    OT: Does anyone remember hearing about the hospital in france or some where in europe, that had 10 or so folks die in the same room. The later found out that the clean crew was unpluging the life support to plug in the vaccum cleaner. This might be a urban legend but i believe it to be true.
    Off-topic:

It's an urban legend. See this write-up in Snopes.com.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Feb 2010, 11:42 PM
  2. Living In a Fishbowl
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 19 Jan 2009, 5:42 PM
  3. Living above a big box
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 22