Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Like Big Boxes?

Registered
    Dec 2003

Like Big Boxes?

OK, here's something for all you aficionados of big box retail and the modern American suburban townscape. Here is an artist who has chosen as his subject not the villas of Tuscany, not Maine fishing villages, not thatched-roof cootages in the Cotswolds, but strip centers, scenes in IKEA and Target, and Taco Bell franchises.
    Enjoy!
    Paul Wachowski
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I find it interesting that automobiles are almost totally absent from his paintings.

As far as Ikea goes, we're getting an urban Ikea here. All parking is underground below the store. It looks so weird to drive by and see a huge big box store without a single parking space out front (or even around back). I would walk by, but since Ikea had to sue the developer to get back on track with sidewalks, the pedestrian environment hasn't been properly implemented.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    As far as Ikea goes, we're getting an urban Ikea here. All parking is underground below the store. It looks so weird to drive by and see a huge big box store without a single parking space out front (or even around back).
    Hold on, you mean to say that most Ikea stores do not have parking below the store? (i.e. underground, or at the very least at ground level, with store above)

I had no idea...

After looking at the artwork, I'm desperately trying to figure out who would want an oil on canvas painting of a Taco Bell or Target.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm sorry but that is downright creepy. Sorry, I don't want more than about 1.5 seconds of that. yeesh.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Kunstler has several impressionistic paintings on his website, Nocturne at the Interchange and the like

I wanna buy "Big Jamba Juice".

Heck, if Warhol can get away with it, why not this guy?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    I find it interesting that automobiles are almost totally absent from his paintings.

As far as Ikea goes, we're getting an urban Ikea here. All parking is underground below the store. It looks so weird to drive by and see a huge big box store without a single parking space out front (or even around back). I would walk by, but since Ikea had to sue the developer to get back on track with sidewalks, the pedestrian environment hasn't been properly implemented.
    Do you have picture sof the IKEA with underground parking?? We are hearing A LOT from these guys and one may be coming here very soon. I would love to see plans/pics of an IKEA with undeground parking so we know it can be done!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Codes concerning donation boxes
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Sep 2012, 10:08 AM
  2. Regulating donation boxes
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Jul 2006, 3:37 PM
  3. Demolition bonds for big-boxes?
    Land Use and Zoning