Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Town of Ingersoll, Oxford County, Ontario

Registered
    Jan 2005

Town of Ingersoll, Oxford County, Ontario

Tomorrow I am heading to the Town of Ingersoll in Oxford County, Ontario. Why? Easter Sunday brunch with my grandmother, of course. From what I have read online the town seems very old and quaint, and as I have never been there before I am quite excited and will take photos. Afterwards I am off to Woodstock to visit my Great Grandmother, and to also take some photos of the town (Woodstock has some marvelous old homes with large trees lining the streets).

So, yes, expect some shots tomorrow so long as the weather cooperates. I know it's short notice, but if you have any particular requests for photos let me know before 1130am EST (GMT-5).

Cheers everyone!

Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Tomorrow I am heading to the Town of Ingersoll in Oxford County, Ontario. Why? Easter Sunday brunch with my grandmother, of course. From what I have read online the town seems very old and quaint, and as I have never been there before I am quite excited and will take photos. Afterwards I am off to Woodstock to visit my Great Grandmother, and to also take some photos of the town (Woodstock has some marvelous old homes with large trees lining the streets).

So, yes, expect some shots tomorrow so long as the weather cooperates. I know it's short notice, but if you have any particular requests for photos let me know before 1130am EST (GMT-5).

Cheers everyone!
    I particularly interested in ohor rural Ontario differs from the rural parts of the US..are there any features in the architecture or townscape which could be said to be peculiar to Ontario?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked, the weather was iffy and we did not end up having the time required to stop. I did get some photos of the gothic-styled Elm Hurst Inn that we brunched at, though. I will post those later.

The town of Ingersoll is rather poor, it seems. It used to be manufacturing and industry based but a lot of the old mainstay business moved out years ago, and the town never quite got back on its feet as it had in the past. Previously it had been, yes, a working town, but fairly prosperous - stable. There is a large lyme production business that it shares with Beachville nearby, and I suspect that is a very large employer. Otherwise the town has some smart architecture and examples of old town look, but due to neglect the general atmosphere was actually a bit sinister. Strange.

Of special note was a large Church that I must go back and photograph. It was a catholic church, and had a tremendously tall spire given its age. At least 100ft tall, probably closer to 140ft or so. Very impressive. I had not expected to see that sort of thing around, certainly not in that scale.

I really wish I had had more time to stop and photograph, but we had to visit my great grandmother with time to spare before her dinner-hour.

In terms of what is unique to Ontario, as you asked, I can't really say. I am a native of BC and have not been in Ontario long enough to say one way or the other - perhaps someone else here could offer information, though.

As for unique to Ingersoll, the entire town is covered with gothic architecture, just draped with it. This is uncommon in southwestern Ontario so far as I have experienced.
    Last edited by abrowne; 27 Mar 2005 at 8:46 PM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. hello from Ontario
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Sep 2008, 6:38 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 8:43 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 May 2007, 10:36 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Sep 2004, 2:29 PM