Urban planning community

Poll results: How did you observe easter as a child?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • bunny hid the eggs and candy was in the basket

15 57.69%
  • bunny hid the candy and colored eggs were in the basket

4 15.38%
  • Didn't 'do' Easter

2 7.69%
  • Other (explain below)

5 19.23%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bunny's Job Description

Registered
    Feb 2004

Bunny's Job Description

I'd like to discuss an important issue that faces many of us, but first I would like to advise you all to be respectful of other people's views and try to reign in our anger or intolerance.

Growing up in my house, we would color eggs the night before, put them in a basket. While we were asleep the Easter Bunny would hide the eggs and fill the basket with candy. Mrs. Maister, it seems, grew up with the tradition of coloring eggs but the Bunny didn't hide eggs - he hid the candy.

Given the seriousness and scope of this inexplicable paradox in Bunny behavior, it is best we open a reasoned dialogue (mods shut it down if things start getting personal!) about his unseen actions by recounting our own understanding of this phenomenon. How best to account for these procedural differences? Is there some connection between fancy hats, Jesus, rabbits and hens?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    ..... Is there some connection between fancy hats, Jesus, rabbits and hens?
    Dude, this is a big issue. I'll need a couple of beers before I can answer this one.

Registered
    May 2003
    At my house, we'd hide the baskets and put clues around the house.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    At my house, we'd hide the baskets and put clues around the house.
    Same around my house... except no clues.... but my house wasn't too big, and the hiding places were somewhat limited due to having an indoor dog...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Dude, this is a big issue.
    But I'm the kinda guy who takes that bull by the horns and tackles those tough controversial issues. I'm just not afraid to do it.
    So, jordanb and skel found hidden the baskets and a trail of clues - had it been just skel I might have dismissed this as being a southern hemisphere thang, but now I don't know.
    There's another bizarre tradition I have heard of in songs but have never witnessed. Apparently, some communities used to have parades on easter and women would wear fancy hats. I've seriously never actually seen this - must have been popular many decades ago or in a different region.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Both Mrs. G (southern midwesterner) and myself (jersey boy) had the bunny hiding the eggs and the candy in the basket.

Louisville still has an Easter Parade (usually the Saturday before). I'm not a parade fan (marched in too many of 'em as a band geek) so I can neither confirm nor refute the hat idea.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I had an extremely deprived childhood: Mr. Bunny Rabbit never came to my poor neighborhood. My parents had to color eggs with us and hide eggs for us.

Mr. Zone was doubly blessed: his parents bought him an Easter basket AND Mr. Bunny Rabbit ALSO hid one for him.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My parents wound string all thru the house; we'd each get an end, follow the string, and find our baskets. They also hid the eggs we had dyed.

For my son, I hide plastic eggs with $$ inside, and small gifts, around the house. Then he also gets a basket of candy.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    For my son, I hide plastic eggs with $$ inside, and small gifts, around the house. Then he also gets a basket of candy.
    Same in our house...... big fun, I love it!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    When I was of Easter egg hunting age, I lived in the country and we had lots of outbuildings spread around the property so there was plenty of space for hunting. The children would wake up and find a clue in the livingroom that would lead to another clue, maybe in the house, maybe in an outbuilding, or maybe taped to a tree. Eventually all of the clues lead to a big Easter basket with candy and other goodies.

We didn't do much in the way of decorating eggs until we moved into a subdivision in town. Some of our neighbors in the country would have actual Easter egg hunts but the fun in those was really just in running around with the other kids. Hard boiled eggs that have been sitting in the sun and in the weeds aren't really a tasty treat, especially when you have a pile of candy. I would never consider hiding hard boiled eggs now, especially in the house. What happens to the ones that aren't found? They make their location known soon enough!
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    When I was of Easter egg hunting age, I lived in the country and we had lots of outbuildings spread around the property so there was plenty of space for hunting. The children would wake up and find a clue in the livingroom that would lead to another clue, maybe in the house, maybe in an outbuilding, or maybe taped to a tree. Eventually all of the clues lead to a big Easter basket with candy and other goodies.

We didn't do much in the way of decorating eggs until we moved into a subdivision in town. Some of our neighbors in the country would have actual Easter egg hunts but the fun in those was really just in running around with the other kids. Hard boiled eggs that have been sitting in the sun and in the weeds aren't really a tasty treat, especially when you have a pile of candy. I would never consider hiding hard boiled eggs now, especially in the house. What happens to the ones that aren't found? They make their location known soon enough!
    Howdy aubieturtle! I couldn't register pacotelic for some reason

Registered
    Feb 2003
    EDIT: I read the poll wrong, so the 1 vote for didnt do Easter should be ignored. oops

I am keeping my OT today's Easter story:

I enjoyed watching all the folks at the bluegrass festival campsite this easter morning. But my favorite was when a van pulled in to wake us up by yelling, "YOUR EASTER PIE HUNT IS OVER...." he yelled this several times until I realized the van read 'Leonards Pies'. We didnt buy any, but the site next to us did.

Happy Easter.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    When I was growing up, we didn't do Easter baskets/eggs/candy, but we certainly did go to church and spend time with family.

We didn't do easter baskets, because my brother was/is hyper-active and if he had even the smallest amount of candy, he was bouncing.

As for connection, wasn't rabbit served at the Last Supper.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Our Easter Bunny took the colored eggs out of the basket and hid those, and then hid the basket as well. When we found the basket, it was full of candy and small toys.

Our newspaper reported yesterday that the Easter Bunny seems to be German in descent, where little boys and girls were told if they were good, the Easter Bunny would bring them eggs, and the little boys and girls would construct "nests" for the eggs out of their caps and bonnets. I don't think Easter Candy showed up on the scene until the holiday became "Hallmarked" - or in this case "Cadbury-ed" I guess, in the US.

As for Why Eggs - apparantly - eggs were a pagan symbol of fertility, and went a long with the whole celebration of spring and rebirth that the Church probably co-opted to make christianity more palatable to the heathens.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We died the eggs, I can't remember hunting for the eggs, but we did hunt for a basket full of candy around the house. The basket was hid by the bunny
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    We dyed the eggs the night before and the bunny hid them and left big baskets full of candy and toys on the kitchen table. I have done the same for my boys...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    We never did the egg thing, just chocolate and candy. The Easter Bunny would scatter them through my bedroom during the night for me to find.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    We dyed eggs, but my mom wasn't a big fan of putting candy in our baskets. She filled them with fruit instead (and just a little bit of chocolate).
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm....?

Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Same around my house... except no clues.... but my house wasn't too big, and the hiding places were somewhat limited due to having an indoor dog...
    Skel-

Ever have Easter on Easter Island? That would be cool wouldn't it.....if not expensive....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I would get a basket from the folks in the morning. Usually it would have a cassette tape in it, some jelly beans and chocolate, and baseball cards.
    Then we would go to my gradnmother's house and look for hidden eggs. (usually it was just me as I am an only child) and there would always be an egg that Grandma wouldn't "remember" leaving for me, so it HAD to have been the Easter bunny.

Of course a good Easter was when I was in college. I went home for the weekend as my aunt and uncle were in town from the mountains. I woke up to an Easter "bag" (instead of basket) filled with only a Foster's oil can, and $20. I drank the Fosters with the bag around it...of course and it was the best Easter ever.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Given the seriousness and scope of this inexplicable paradox in Bunny behavior, it is best we open a reasoned dialogue (mods shut it down if things start getting personal!) about his unseen actions by recounting our own understanding of this phenomenon. How best to account for these procedural differences? Is there some connection between fancy hats, Jesus, rabbits and hens?
    Simple... Jesus is part of God, God made rabbits and hens, hens lay eggs, and in some places they kill rabbits and hens and make hats and eat the eggs in the morning and a good stew at night!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Skel-

Ever have Easter on Easter Island? That would be cool wouldn't it.....if not expensive....
    Hmmm yeah... that'd be nice. And yes... it'd be quite expensive... sicne EVERYTHING is expensive there... kind of like Japan.... but poorer.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Talking about Easter Eggs -

Family Seeks Easter Eggs Full of Cash
    Headline and article from the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Highlight -
    "Plastic Easter eggs which a family mistakenly donated to a Salvation Army thrift store before realizing they had been stuffed full of cash remained missing Monday after word of the incident spread during the holiday weekend.

...a woman came into the store earlier this month looking for plastic Easter eggs that had been among her grandmother's possessions, which the family donated after she passed away in January.

The woman had kept only one of her grandmother's possessions -- her diary.

After flipping through it, she found out too late what a special Easter her grandmother had planned.

"Grandmother was planning for the Easter egg hunt of hunts," ... "The eggs this year were filled with cash instead of candy."

"She had carefully packed them full and recorded everything in her diary."

The woman, who did not want to be named, did not reveal how much cash was in the plastic eggs, but ... it was "a considerable amount."
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    We dye raw eggs the night before Easter, and then hide them in the park where they have the Easter egg hunt...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The easter bunny still seems to find his way to my house. My brothers and I and my parents all have baskets of candy hidden. We dye eggs but they are kept in the fridge. We do hide eggs, but they are plastic and have choclates inside them. This is done by my parents during the day as oppossed to the "easter bunny" at night.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. twitter your job description
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 06 Feb 2013, 9:41 PM
  2. Lost job description
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Feb 2012, 9:46 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Aug 2008, 6:05 PM
  4. Are there any job description standards?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 May 2006, 6:07 PM
  5. Cute job description phrases
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jan 2005, 3:42 PM