Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Employment question

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Employment question

Taking advice from a few different people are started looking around at different opportunities in planning. As I have been with the same city for about 5 years, in 3 different planning positions. I recently was offered a job that would give me about a 8.5% raise and similar title... However the kicker is... I would be working 50 hour work weeks!!! I currently have some weeks longer than others, but get "Comp Time" when I work over the typical 40hr week, though I am on salary. This position does not allow for comp time. The position is in a more progressive jurisdiction and quite a bit larger city than where I am employed now, where I'd be involved in some interesting projects... I am hoping to get FLEX TIME with a 50 hour week. As to start work early and leave around 4:30 on acceptable days to beat the traffic (ie. FRIDAYS!). Is this too much to ask? And last of all if they grant the FLEX TIME do you think you would take it with the avg work week being 50hrs?

I'm having a problem with the 50hrs I guess...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im not sure 50 hours is out of the norm anymore. At least they are upfront about it. My last job planners worked till it got done, without pay or comp time but the bos was very forgiving of folks that left early when work was light or came in late etc. Call it an understood flex-time set up.

The current job to get extra pay or comp time is a pain in the bottom but the work still has to be done so I just take it home a few nights a month and work during lunch most days.

How are things like vacation, sick days, other bennies that may add up to be very worth that extra 10 hours.

Best of luck.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm......

Quote Originally posted by Vlaude
    Taking advice from a few different people are started looking around at different opportunities in planning. As I have been with the same city for about 5 years, in 3 different planning positions. I recently was offered a job that would give me about a 8.5% raise and similar title... However the kicker is... I would be working 50 hour work weeks!!! I currently have some weeks longer than others, but get "Comp Time" when I work over the typical 40hr week, though I am on salary. This position does not allow for comp time. The position is in a more progressive jurisdiction and quite a bit larger city than where I am employed now, where I'd be involved in some interesting projects... I am hoping to get FLEX TIME with a 50 hour week. As to start work early and leave around 4:30 on acceptable days to beat the traffic (ie. FRIDAYS!). Is this too much to ask? And last of all if they grant the FLEX TIME do you think you would take it with the avg work week being 50hrs?

I'm having a problem with the 50hrs I guess...
    Doesn't sound worth it to me....but that's just me.....my last few job moves have included at least a 8% to 20% salary increase (public or private sector). You might think about going for a bigger position in your search for work.....(or not)......up to you....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most jobs advertise a regular forty hour work week but really expect you to put in fifty or more. If this one is acknowledging up front that the work load will typically have you doing fifty hours, then it may not be that different. I would make sure, though, that fifty was not the base from which they would expect you to add hours.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Is a fifty hour work-week even legal without paying OT or getting comp. time? Sounds brutal to me... we already do that... so, does that mean you'll really be working 60 hour work weeks?!?! They've got a little "Ebenezer" work ethic going on there... pretty soon you'll be asking for a lump of coal to stay warm and to have Christmas day off!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I've never actually heard of any job any where that advertises a 50 hour work week. For many folks here it just turns outr that we work more than 40 hours.

I typically am not a big fan of making lateral moves. 8.25% is not that much. But obviously there are intangibles, better work env., better projects, more professional satisfying, yada, yada...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Employment application question
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Mar 2010, 10:50 PM
  2. Your employment status
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 10 Mar 2010, 9:51 PM
  3. Employment by Sector
    Friday Afternoon Club