• Deal with an application filed by an illiterate fool

13 81.25%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would you rather ... #6

Registered
    Sep 2001

would you rather

this one is work realated and for clarity sake

1) An application by wal-mart means a rezoning and / or anammendment to the municpal plan

2) The illeterate fool is a life long resident with a grade 2 education that owns half the land in the town and does not speak the english language in a manner that is easily understood, even though it is his mother tongue.

these are based on my recent experiences.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Wal-Mart.

My biggest peeve are the back-of-the-napkin drawings that I'm forced to take as part of the development review process here. Yeah, I've got submittal requirements, written in plain English, "but it's too much trouble to have someone draw up the plans the way you want them."

Small town + expectation of leniency as expected in other small towns + mom and pop developers + sympathetic town manager = accepting rezoning requests drawn up on double-ply Bounty.

Wal-Mart is less work, less hand-holding. I won't have to copy referral and file plans, much less make them to begin with. Less grunt work, and more mental stimulation in negotiating with the big boxers.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'll take the illiterate fool. We have plans from Walmart and Sam's that have been in pending for MONTHS AND MONTHS for a stupid GARDEN CENTER ADDITION that should have been taken care of in 2 weeks time, but because Walmart refuses to consistently comply with regs, we've got them on hold until someone from their HQ will straighten it out. grrrrr. Apparantly, because the quality of their store managers is so sucky, they've created a whole new department in their Arkansas HQ to deal with problems created by their store managers. I mean, how f***ed up is that?

Sorry for the rant.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I hate wal-mart period
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I figure it is 50 - 50.

dealing with wal-mart and the ensuing public response was hell. It won't happen again, as for the fool... They will be in next week and the week after and the week after. each time having to start from scratch, even though it is the same person.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001

Wal Mart

It's much easier to deal with out-of town pricks than local pricks.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'd rather deal with an illiterate fool than Wal-Mart ANYDAY!!!! When I worked for the city, I reviewed 2 Wal-Mart applications and they both drove me INSANE!!! You can reason with a fool, but you can't reason with Wal-Mart developers especially after they have already secured the City Council's vote by fully lining their pockets with campaign contributions.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2002

cvs

CVS, Wallgreens etc. ain't much better.

Re: cvs

Originally posted by Tom R
    CVS, Wallgreens etc. ain't much better.
    ...and Lowe's, Home Despot, TGIF, Rite Aid, Applebee's, Chuck E F**kin' Cheeze's....

the list goes on and on..

+ Reply to thread