Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Calendar On Your Desk

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Calendar On Your Desk

The first quarter of 2005 is just about history. As you spent most of those days at your desk (talking to Cyburbia residents, etc.) you probably gazed off to your right or left at the calendar that you bought in December, 2004.

What's on your calendar? Dogs? Cats? Race cars? Buildings? Women? Men? Michael Jackson? RNC propoganda? DNC propoganda?

In 2005 this Bear has a "Golden Retriever" daily calendar. Last year it was kitty cats.

Years ago, a business associate from Tonawanda. NY, used Playboy calendars with his business logo on each page. He was so dang proud of those calendars. He would pass them out to anybody and everybody.

Today is Tuesday, March 29, 2005. My calendar page has a Golden Retriever, scratching himself. Dang fleas.

Bear Not Knowing A Thing About Miss July
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Can you say boring? Four column plastic-coated planning calendar. No images, nada.

(I slack enough here --I mean I do research -- without any need of further distraction...)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I'm a little on the over-ogranized side when it comes to calendars. I have a Franklin Planner on my desk that I write everything in. It has a floral or seasons theme. Then I use my outlook calendar and task list. Then I have a wall calendar that is a folk art them. I don't write on it or anything, but use if for quick reference.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Bugs Bunny blotter calendar. And a Colorado calendar on the wall, courtesy of Cardinal.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Mine has historic back and white photos of New York City. It is put together by the City Museum of New York.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My calendar on the wall in my office at the ole' workplace is "Lighthouses Of The Great Lakes". Scenes include a couple from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
    (Naturally..... )

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I have an underutilized Franklin Covey Planner (Original Style/Classic Size).

When I'm not writing stuff down in the FC Planner, I'm also not writing stuff down in the shared GroupWise deparment calendar/planner on our office network.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I have a small Toronto calendar from my secret santa.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Last year I had a nice wall calendar (forgot what it was but there was a nice one here) this year I haven't been so creative, all I have is a pale green desk calendar...it actually works best for me because its right here under my nose all the time...now if I would just starting putting my appointments on it!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I have three calendars at my cube.

1) Large desktop monthly. No pics - very boring. Use it more as a blotter than a calendar.

2) Small wall calendar put out as a fundraiser that has pics of schools in HISD. Someone gave it to me. It usually shows the next month up (so right now it's on April), with deadlines for public hearings and associated items for easy reference.

3) Larger wall calendar with Italian Greyhounds. This one shows the current month, listing not only work deadlines, but also afterwork activites. Right now it has a fawn-colored male with white paws and muzzle staring at me from the comfort of a patio chair.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The Lewis and Clark County Noxious Weed Calendar! Have you picked up yours yet? No! You should. You don't want your friends to think you can't tell spotted knapweed from diffuse knapweed. I would be embarrasssed for you.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

I had some nice calendars last year - a magnetic poetry one and a poster calendar fromthe Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey with a pretty picture on it that was taken in the Dells in the 1800s. Now I just have a desk calendar that I can't see because it is always covered up and a calendar with different rock formations that was given to me for free at a conference.
    I still have my magnetic poetry calendar and my poster calendar from 2004 hanging up. I guess I just can't let go of the past...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    A day-at-a-time calendar: How to Get in Touch with Your Inner Bitch.
    (it was a Christmas gift from a co-worker! )

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I have a daily Close to Home calendar. Ironically, today's cartoon is planning-related.

"A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    One calender... My overused Franklin planner. The first thing they teach you is to use only one calender for everything. That way you don't miss stuff....

...as much
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    The Lewis and Clark County Noxious Weed Calendar! Have you picked up yours yet? No! You should. You don't want your friends to think you can't tell spotted knapweed from diffuse knapweed. I would be embarrasssed for you.

That sounds like the calendars I used while working for my Dad's landscaping company. Weed calendars and the Largest Trees in Colo.

Right now I have the NHL's Greatest Hits calendar on my wall.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I have a big desktop calendar on my desk, and then on my tack board, an Angela Coppola Visions of Italy Calendar that my FIL's printing company makes and he gave me for free. March's picture is, oddly enough, of tea bags. ????

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Calendar? Nope.... I just use my datebook... specially because I have NO desk

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I don't think I have a calendar at all this year. I had several last year and didn't use any of them. My old computer had a calendar/day planner software on it. I don't know if I will reload that software to this computer or not.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    National Geographic desk calendar.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I'm a little on the over-ogranized side when it comes to calendars. I have a Franklin Planner on my desk that I write everything in. It has a floral or seasons theme. Then I use my outlook calendar and task list. Then I have a wall calendar that is a folk art them. I don't write on it or anything, but use if for quick reference.
    I have a similar deal- Franklin Planner- underutilized because I can seem to get away from my Day-Timer, GroupWise-office computer calendar and a wall calendar-with gorgeous photos of flowers- I don't write on it!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    No calendar. Microsoft Outlook

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Two for me.

One with monthly scenes of the village where I grew up in south Cambridgeshire - you know the sort of thing, nice thatched cottages, church views etc.

Also a geeky Planning wall chart thing which came from the weekly planning magazine we get here.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I never got around to buying a calendar at this year so I've been printing out calendar pages from calendarhome.com. You get to choose a picture for the top, so far I've had a Van Gogh and a skyline shot of NYC, pre-9-11.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. your calendar method
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 5:12 PM
  2. What's on YOUR desk right now?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 16 Dec 2012, 2:19 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Mar 2005, 4:27 PM