Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Residential fences

Registered
    Jul 2002

Residential fences

Fences in Residential Neighbourhoods - I'm doing a study on mainly front fences in residential areas. What are your city's/region's restrictions or preferences on height, material, style, colour, construction, heritage etc. Any photos, links, studies, contacts would be greatly appreciated.
    The aim is to develop a set of planning standards with the reasonings and arguments that municipal planners can use such as safety by design in negotiations with applicants.
    Bruce Wharrie, Senior Town Planner, AlburyCity Council, New South Wales, Australia.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Height regulations are most often based on public safety...ability to observe the front yard areas, firefighters' ability to access property. Being on one's own property and not over a lot line is based on private ane public property rights. All other fencing regulations are based on aesthetics. Such aesthetic regulations are usually based on stabilizing neighborhood property and other values. The first question should be: how much regulation does your community desire? Fencing regualtions can run to 10 pages; or (as here) be a couple of paragraphs.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Height regulations are most often based on public safety...ability to observe the front yard areas, firefighters' ability to access property. Being on one's own property and not over a lot line is based on private ane public property rights. All other fencing regulations are based on aesthetics. Such aesthetic regulations are usually based on stabilizing neighborhood property and other values. The first question should be: how much regulation does your community desire? Fencing regualtions can run to 10 pages; or (as here) be a couple of paragraphs.
    A couple of paragraphs is a couple too many.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ablarc
    A couple of paragraphs is a couple too many.
    Agreed. Agreed.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My fair city's ZC is pretty simple:

15.153.020 FENCES, WALLS, AND HEDGES

(A) The height of fences, walls, or hedges in required yard setbacks may not exceed the following:
    (1) Three feet in all required front yards on corner lots, and four feet in all other required front yards;
    (2) Six feet along a side or rear lot line of residential property;
    (3) Eight feet along a side or rear lot line of non-residential property.

(B) A six foot impassable fence shall surround all swimming pools, all accessories thereto, and all entries thereto. Swimming pools shall include but are not necessarily limited to pools over two feet in depth at any point. Swimming pools shall not include lakes.

(C) All junkyards, salvage yards, storage yards, outside storage areas, commercial vehicle and equipment parking lots, scrap yards, scrap metal reduction operations, garbage reduction operations, or similar operations to any of the above shall be completely enclosed with an opaque fence not less than eight feet high. This fencing requirement is mandatory for all storage areas for inoperable vehicles
    or inoperable equipment in conjunction with repair shops or similar operations when such storage areas abut residential areas or are visible from public thoroughfares.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Standard here is 6ft (1.8m) around back gardens, max probably 1m if at all around front gardens. Should generally be open at the front.

When I worked for a local authority I always pushed developers for screen walls where the boundary was visible from the public domain. Theres always potential for a clash on direct interfaces between the public and private domain, but a wall looks far better than a close boarded fence, especially after a couple of years.

Unfortunately I think you have to have some kind of regs, particularly for new properties, or else the developers will merely build the cheapest option possible (I should know, I used to work for one )

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Why dogs laugh at fences
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Aug 2012, 9:55 AM
  2. Walls instead of fences
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Aug 2008, 2:10 PM
  3. Electric fences
    Land Use and Zoning