Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: An observation on Jacobs applied to SoBe today

Registered
    Mar 2005

An observation on Jacobs applied to SoBe today

There is nearly as much foot traffic (in Miami Beach) along Washington Avenue at all hours as there is along Ocean Drive, despite the fact that the former is in many places run-down, architecturally undistinguished and fairly car-friendly while the former is the showcase stretch of Art Deco architecture and full of catering and entertainment business, bordering a small park and the ocean. That is probably because Washington Ave. is more varied in its uses. It includes numerous catering/entertainment establishments but also government, offices, proximity to residences, etc. Ocean drive is 'bordered' (albeit by the ocean and a nice beach). I would guess that if you LIVE in SoBe, you probably see Washington more often than Ocean. I thought it was interesting.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    That whole little city is interesting. The best-functioning American city of its size (works better than Charleston). Also it's the only American real city I know made out of more-or-less modern architecture, since that's what deco really is. Deco was the last architecture to say outright ornament was ok, so you didn't have to contort a city building into an anti-urban sculptural form to get some visual interest.

A really nice little city (unlike Miami, which is a mess).

Registered
    Mar 2005

Charleston...

...I agree that from an Urban standpoint Charleston needs help.

It has by far the most amazing Architecture (in terms of quality x quantity) of any American City. Really world class. However the lack of diversity of uses and the 'boundary' presented by the Sea means that much of the historic district is much less busy than one might imagine and parts of it are decaying. The residents seem, though very courteous and upholders of strong traditions, very conservative with a lowercase 'c'. I think the potential is great there but business districts in the peninsula are lacking somewhat.

The architecture, though.....makes me want to go there just thinking about it.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Luca
    There is nearly as much foot traffic (in Miami Beach) along Washington Avenue at all hours as there is along Ocean Drive, despite the fact that the former is in many places run-down, architecturally undistinguished and fairly car-friendly while the former is the showcase stretch of Art Deco architecture and full of catering and entertainment business, bordering a small park and the ocean. That is probably because Washington Ave. is more varied in its uses. It includes numerous catering/entertainment establishments but also government, offices, proximity to residences, etc. Ocean drive is 'bordered' (albeit by the ocean and a nice beach). I would guess that if you LIVE in SoBe, you probably see Washington more often than Ocean. I thought it was interesting.
    Ocean Drive's a distant destination for SoBe residents, good for beach-going and other forms of recreation. Washington Avenue is the real, gritty community Main Street. Collins Avenue's in-between both functionally and geographically.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 25 Aug 2012, 10:23 AM
  2. An observation and a banning
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Apr 2010, 10:20 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:42 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Oct 2007, 5:06 PM