Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Lack of supervisory experience

Registered
    Dec 2004

Lack of supervisory experience

I am applying for a Director of Community Development position in a small rural county. I have all of the qualifications – Masters degree, 15-years of experience in a variety of settings (City, County – All Public) that they are looking for. I actually worked for this county for a year just over four years ago (we still own a house there). I currently am working for one of the fastest growing counties in the nation as a Planner III.

I know what the needs of this rural County – they are getting ready to adopt a Zoning Ordinance (I have looked at the ZO that they are going to use as a model for this new code.) I keep up on the day-to-day news and planning issues as best I can from 2,200 miles away.

My problem is that this position will be supervising the Building Department (4 employees) and the Planning Department (3 employees) and I do not have any “formal” supervisory experience. I was in charge of the intern program a few years ago, but this was not a “formal” position. I am a great observer of every supervisor I have ever had and all that work around me in different departments.

Here is a quote from the person who is doing the hiring out there:

“I will let you know that the lack of supervisory experience is holding you back somewhat on the director position. However, that is offset with the letters of recommendation you sent and the level of work you have been doing.”

My question is this: What can I do to overcome this lack of “supervisory experience?” (besides get some?) What would you look for or emphasize if you where me?
    NATURE WASTES SPACE
    PAVEMENT IS OUR SALVATION

Zeroxed signs found along Pacific Coast Highway in 1990. Proudly hanging in my office ever since... ;)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Try thinking about supervisory experience from a slightly different perspective.

As a Planner III, do you have oversight responsibilities to other planners or support staff? When you delegate tasks out to other staff or board members, do you follow up on the work either in progress or once completed? Do you hold leadership positions in any volunteer organizations?

This is all supervisory experievce.

Disclaimer: I'm not a carreer counselor, but I'm married to one.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    May 1997
    Beyond SGB's thought, I would ask: have you supervised volunteers in another context? church, scouts, etc., etc. This can be used.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    Try thinking about supervisory experience from a slightly different perspective.

As a Planner III, do you have oversight responsibilities to other planners or support staff? When you delegate tasks out to other staff or board members, do you follow up on the work either in progress or once completed? Do you hold leadership positions in any volunteer organizations?

This is all supervisory experievce.

Disclaimer: I'm not a carreer counselor, but I'm married to one.

Actually I do have a couple of Planner II's that I mentor. And I have been on the Board of Directors for the local Credit Union, and have supervised 500 high-school students for the California Youth and Government program as State Staff.

I included all o this on my resume....I just have not done the whole review/time sheet/budget stuff.
    NATURE WASTES SPACE
    PAVEMENT IS OUR SALVATION

Zeroxed signs found along Pacific Coast Highway in 1990. Proudly hanging in my office ever since... ;)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Another thought: do you have any volunteer work that involved supervisory experience? Can you get help writing up whatever stuff you have done to "package" it better? Sometimes, the experience is there, it just isn't "visible".

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Have you ever had any training or taken any kind of supervisory courses? I worked at a hotel restaurant while in grad school and was sent to supervisor training classes for my position as a hostess/supervisor. Even though it's a stretch, I still count it as experience. The job duties may differ, but the concepts are very similar.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Supervisory experienced required
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 28 Jun 2012, 1:01 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 Nov 2009, 1:51 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Oct 2008, 9:57 AM
  4. Lack of motivation