Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Quite the Monday...

Registered
    Aug 2001

Quite the Monday...

It has been quite the Monday today... and I notice it's pretty quiet on the boards today too so maybe you are all having the yucko day that I am. My boss (the director) is out for the month on parental leave... since you can't schedule exactly when you are going to have a baby, he didn't finish up everything he was working on. Unfortunately, Friday was my day off... so I came in to a big surprise on my desk (like that I couldn't *see* my desk for all the stuff piled on it). Eep! Not to mention some wonderful Planning Commission and Council reports due in the next two days for a project I haven't been working on. Double eep!

I hope everybody is having a better start to their work week than I did.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    The internet was down at work all day Monday...so you know what kind of sucky day I had...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Just the usual torment Dave day here
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Blargh. my monday sucked. my best friend's husband just got a job in Rochester and they're moving in three weeks, and I found out yesterday morning. depressing. so i'm feeling a little abandoned. even though it is totally great for them. but *big sigh*

But today is tuesday, all new day, i can spend lots of time on cyburbia, procrastinating getting ready for planning board tonight.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by KMateja
    Blargh. my monday sucked. my best friend's husband just got a job in Rochester and they're moving in three weeks, and I found out yesterday morning. depressing. so i'm feeling a little abandoned. even though it is totally great for them. but *big sigh*
    Hey now - who needs real friends when you have your surrogate cyburbia family here?

I've never done this before but, but this is for you K...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hug}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Thanks Tran! I felt the warm fuzzy right through my monitor!

Although, all kidding aside, my husband is concerned that if I don't have enough friends here in Albany, I'll get antsy to move soon. So he's been setting up "play dates" with other couples where he thinks I'll be friends with the wife. I can get my own friends, thank you very much! hee.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Monday was sucko. The rest of the week doesn't look good either. No time to photoshop!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    hey K if you get that urge to move come on to DC-we can torment Dave together

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    hee! danie, i'll bring my rubberband collection that i save from the morning paper to use as inter-cubicle projectiles!

Registered
    Dec 2001

Oh good..

So it wasn't just me... I swear it's another Monday for me! Must drag myself to the coffee maker in a sec-

K- I'm trying to stay sane in a new place, I just haven't gotten into the groove of everything out here yet. The boy is trying to set up play dates for me as well, and it ends up that his guy friend is really cool, but their girlfriends don't want to do anything fun.. like tubing, hiking, kyacking, ANYTHING!! How are you supposed to play with that?!? I'm going to begin recruiting people to move to the Phoenix area for sure.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    What was the name of the book that was about how Americans aren't participating in clubs like they used to 40 years ago - Rotary, Bowling Leagues, Bridge Tournaments, etc. I think I tend to be a pretty social person - my husband would argue that I am possibly too social - but it is really hard to meet other couples in the first place, let alone other couples that all four sides like the other three sides. My husband's best friend's wife is one of the most vapid and insipid girls, possibly ever. Fortunately, we're cultivating a relationship with another couple that lives in our neighborhood, and it is almost like dating - after every "date", we review and replay - maybe I shouldn't have told that priest joke, or worn those shoes. sigh.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by KMateja
    it is almost like dating - after every "date", we review and replay - maybe I shouldn't have told that priest joke, or worn those shoes. sigh.
    I hear you Kelly - we're going through the same thing right now. And in fact, I was looking at it from a similar point of view as your husband - I'd like my fiancee to have more friends around here. But I'm not trying to "set up" playdates as much as it sounds like your guy is.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community
    by Robert D. Putnam

Haven't read it yet, but it's on my list.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Monday
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 19 Mar 2012, 1:30 PM
  2. Who's Off on Monday
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 24 Dec 2007, 3:19 PM
  3. Monday after St. Patrick's Day
    Friday Afternoon Club