Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public Safety Costs of Box Stores

Registered
    May 1997

Public Safety Costs of Box Stores

This may have been asked before, and it certainly has been discussed. But I am in a hurry, so if anybody has any actual hard data on the public safety costs of box stores, I would love to see it.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Have you tried looking at the Barnstable, MA study on impacts of commercial uses? I think it's on their website, but I may have a copy on the laptop if you'd like for me to dig it up.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002

Don't take it out of context

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Have you tried looking at the Barnstable, MA study on impacts of commercial uses? I think it's on their website, but I may have a copy on the laptop if you'd like for me to dig it up.
    I researched that document when a similar question came up in my work. My understanding from reading it and talking to their Planning dept is that the study findings are very site-specific and should not be applied to other municipalities without more analysis. The fact is that questions like this one can only be resolved on a site-by-site and town-by-town basis because each place is unique. Even generalities are hard to make.

Contact the Town of Barnstable's planning department directly to get the full scoop on this- they are very friendly!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich
    My understanding from reading it and talking to their Planning dept is that the study findings are very site-specific and should not be applied to other municipalities without more analysis.
    Very true, but it does provide a framework to start analysis from....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I know this response is probably days later than you were looking for, but here it goes anyway:

Contact the Town Manager and Police Department of Littleton, NH. They have some data on demand for public safety services since the big box invasion began there in +1998.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 23 Sep 2013, 1:05 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 12 May 2011, 6:56 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Nov 2010, 11:18 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Jul 2005, 10:14 AM
  5. Public safety standards