Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Scottish Parliament Complex

New Scottish Parliament Complex

There's about fifty pics of the new Scottish Parliament complex here. Check out the window dressing http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/nm...test/index.htm

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Frantic.

What shall we do next, Harry?

I know, let's...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It reminds me a little of Gaudi's work.....

It reminded me of Louis Kahn, just not as organized.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ablarc
    Frantic.

What shall we do next, Harry?

I know, let's...
    That was kinda my thought, too. Unbelievably busy. In the end, though (and only from photographs in Architectural Record) I almost kinda like it. Almost. Give me frantic over a blank white wall (the new MOMA Annex)

Registered
    Mar 2005

Aaaaargh!!!!

Dire. Really stunningly bad. Lots of detail and ornament without beauty or harmony. A fitting building for an embarassing, cheap vote-grabbing gesture like the Scottish "Parliament".

I would much prefer a well-executed (say early Miesian) glass box or (better yet) something fifttingly "gothick" (it is in brooding, overcast, dark Edinburgh, after all).

The "Celticc" inscriptions....spoken by a few percentage of Scotland's people.

Could they not get Gehry? (snicker, snicker)?

This in a city with one of the msot beautiful and coherent Palladian quarters in the world (the New Town). Truly depressing.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I actually don't mind it that much. Looks a bit like a fancy apartment block in Spain. My architecture lecturer used to call them 'Pacer' buildings.

Luca, I think its a bit harsh to call the Scottish Parliament an "embarassing, cheap vote-grabbing gesture". Its not like Labour need many votes in Scotland anyway; between them and the SNP (and a few Lib Dems along the fringe) they've got Scotland sown up.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    ILuca, I think its a bit harsh to call the Scottish Parliament an "embarassing, cheap vote-grabbing gesture". Its not like Labour need many votes in Scotland anyway; between them and the SNP (and a few Lib Dems along the fringe) they've got Scotland sown up.
    Well, of course you are right, strictly speaking

Just could not resist a cheap stab at the addition of another layer of govt. Most of the comments I've read about it convey a sense of self-importance out of proportion with their actual status.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Who's Your Inferiority Complex ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 06 Jun 2013, 11:20 AM
  2. A Scottish Hello
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Sep 2010, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Feb 2009, 8:40 AM