Urban planning community

Poll results: Welcome to Houston. Pick your new next door neighbor.

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Houston-style strip joint, open 24 hours, and right against the property line!

14 66.67%
  • A he-man oil refinery, preparing "old fashioned leaded gasoline" for export to Central America.

2 9.52%
  • A big 'ol truck stop, complete with lot lizards and all-night engine idling.

0 0%
  • A Texas-style prison, with daily executions

4 19.05%
  • Open 10,000,000 gallon vats of fermenting, liquified swine waste

1 4.76%
Closed thread

Thread: Would you rather ... #7

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Would you rather ... #7

Pick one.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001

Too easy

strip joint of course.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This is pretty bad, i have lived near 4of these items and did not find any of them too bad.

In university I lived in Saint John, NB one summer, right across the street from the Irving Oil Refinery. We affectionately called our house stinky hollow. We were the one of two houses in an industrial park,the one across the street that refused to sell to the Irvings and subsequently had a 15 foot tall razor wire fence erected along the perimeter of the property.

Growing up i worked and lived near pig farms. My first day of work I actually fell into the gutters that ran to the vats. I was coated up to my waste. Now poultry barns on the other hand...

Peeler Bars aplenty were I went to University. Probably the most per capita. 15 in a city of 100 000 people. Including 2 an easy walk from the lecture halls.

Also in university I lived about 60 feet from Canada and the US's busiest border crossing. Idling trucks, during teh strike of 91 my dorm window was even with them for 24 hours a day.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001

Snap Crackle Pop

The Texas Prison - The sizzle sounds at midnight would warm my cold Republican Heart.

Favorite Republican Saying: I'm not for the electric chair, I'm for electric bleachers!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Re: Snap Crackle Pop

Originally posted by El Guapo
    The Texas Prison - The sizzle sounds at midnight would warm my cold Republican Heart.

Favorite Republican Saying: I'm not for the electric chair, I'm for electric bleachers!
    One sick puppy!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    the strip club...

something to do on those rare days off...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Well, I'm not married yet - so definitely the strip club. After marriage...well, maybe I'll relate better to the prison.

JUST KIDDING, SWEETIE!!!!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Well, I'm not married yet - so definitely the strip club. After marriage...well, maybe I'll relate better to the prison.

JUST KIDDING, SWEETIE!!!!
    tremendous. i also voted for the strip club. give my dad something to do when he comes to visit us.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    You gotta go with the prison. Ain't nuttin' like some good 'ol fashioned riotin' every now and then.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The strip club

Picutres for blackmail later *hummm councilman (blank) you dont want to work with us on getting rid of wal-mart eh? i got a deal for you*

rotfl
    Last edited by PlannerGirl; 14 Aug 2002 at 3:12 PM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001

Prison

It's gotta be one of the safest places to be.. I mean, what idiot is going to stick around the prison if he escapes.. no, he's going to jet right over to the nearest "houston-style" strip club he can find and throw back drinks with the councilmen...

Being a Texan, I'm all for the death penalty, in the town my Mom's ranch is in they've turned the old jail into a museum and you can still see the handing tower. It's awesome, the cells surround the dropping area, so all of the other inmates could see the guy swing. Of course, now there is a piece of OSB over the final hanging spot for safety reasons.. I'm all for it though, but nowadays it costs so much. Bullets and rope are pretty cheap, bring that back... Yeah, I'm one sick puppy-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Prisons increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Refineries increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Truck stops increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Exotic dancing increases... and stimulates the... I know Chambers of Commerce that would take them all (well, maybe the dancing should be just over the county line).

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    The strip club.......I'm always looking for ways to supplement my income!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Prisons increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Refineries increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Truck stops increase employment and stimulate the tax base. Exotic dancing increases... and stimulates the... I know Chambers of Commerce that would take them all (well, maybe the dancing should be just over the county line).
    Mike you make me Turgid - not that there is anything wrong with that

Registered
    Oct 2001
    This should have been a check-box poll!

Why should I only have to pick one?!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Prison

Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    It's gotta be one of the safest places to be.. I mean, what idiot is going to stick around the prison if he escapes.. no, he's going to jet right over to the nearest "houston-style" strip club he can find and throw back drinks with the councilmen...
    Having grown up within a mile of a medium security facility for juvenile offenders, you'd be surprised how many of these rocket scientists don't make it that far. They in prison for one overriding reason - they are remarkably stupid.

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998

Re: Re: Prison

Originally posted by bturk

Having grown up within a mile of a medium security facility for juvenile offenders
    You sure you weren't one of those inmates????????? :p
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    ah.. he was one that escaped...
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jul 2002

oh. . . how I miss home

Thanks for the memories! I grew up in Stinkadena, I mean Pasadena. . .the little blue-collar town south of Houston that is the actual home of those refineries. So, I pick living next to the refineries. . .you know- you can't even smell them after you've lived there a while. My school bus in junior high and high school would pass my the infamous Gilley's bar on its way to school. And yes, my dad is an ironworker and my mom works for an oil company.

Registered
    Nov 2001

Re: Prison

Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    ...in the town my Mom's ranch is in...

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that statement...

And I'll refrain from the bareback jokes...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Closed thread