Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Okay Cyburbia... think back to your youth...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Okay Cyburbia... think back to your youth...

Well, the GF and I were talking yesterday as we watched the Yankees/Red Sox game. She is a big baseball fan and was explaining stuff to me about batting order, pitching rotation and naming everyone on the Seattle Mariners that played during the 1990s. She grew up with baseball, I grew up Hungarian, so I played soccer (like my grandfather, uncle, and dad) and I was tall (back then) so I played basketball. Hockey was also a staple for me too. I never played Little League or had a huge interest in baseball. (I had to wait until college to get that)

...but I DIGRESS (apologizes)

Anyways, I finally bought a baseball glove last night and I am currently breaking it in, so my GF and I can play catch. (sort of a stress reliever).
    (Main question... sorry it took so long....)
    How did/do you guys break in your baseball gloves? I have a ball in it right now, and wrapped the glove in a belt to form it.

I thought I would bring some nostalgia here today (on opening day too! Go Cubs and yes... Go Rockies!)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Anyways, I finally bought a baseball glove last night and I am currently breaking it in, so my GF and I can play catch. (sort of a stress reliever).
    (Main question... sorry it took so long....)
    How did/do you guys break in your baseball gloves? I have a ball in it right now, and wrapped the glove in a belt to form it.

I thought I would bring some nostalgia here today (on opening day too! Go Cubs and yes... Go Rockies!)
    Sporting Goods stores should also have conditioners or oils that help to loosen up the leather so it will form better. That, coupled with what you are doing should break it in quickly. The best way to truely break in the glove is to use it.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    Sporting Goods stores should also have conditioners or oils that help to loosen up the leather so it will form better. That, coupled with what you are doing should break it in quickly. The best way to truely break in the glove is to use it.
    Boiker's got it right. When I was little, I used shaving cream...but the conditioners at the stores work so much better.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Neats foot oil. Or is it neatsfoot oil? Anyway, that's the stuff that'll soften the leather and condition it.

Funny story: As a kid I was anticipating the season and oiled up my old glove and set the glove in the windowsill to let it air out. Woke up with this pungent odor in my mouth and just thought the glove on the sill was responsible. Woke up again a short while later and the smell was overpowering. Looked at my nightstand and there was the neatsfoot oil, with the lid off. Definitely NOT the way I left it.

Mom called poison control and we were both relieved that it wasn't harmful

My brother nicknamed me "squeeky" after that episode (which fortunately did not stick).
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2002
    Glove conditioners???!!! We just took a glove, put a ball in the pocket, tied it up with string and let Dad drive over it a few times with the family sedan. Presto! A broken in glove.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Place a ball in the sweat spot. Wrap it in a towel. Run your sedan or mid-sized SUV over the towel, glove and ball. Play catch 30 to 45 minutes a day until the desired leather consistency is achieved. Periodic oiling of the glove will ensure long-term continued use. Keep in mind, the main thing is to have fun.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Amen to all of this on the real first day of spring. Mets v. Reds at 2:05. Hope springs eternal in Flushing by the bay!

Neets foot oil is best. Purchase brand new white hardball; place in pocket of glove. Wrap belt around. Place under mattress. Have a catch today, tomorrow, the day after....

Real Shaving cream works ok too.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Try this.....

How about actually playing baseball to break the glove in......that worked for me.... You all and your new fangled technology
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Rub the glove down with Marvel Mystery Oil, place a ball in it and then bind it tightly with a belt.

I don't know if that's the best way to break a new glove in, but it always worked for me in the past.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Geez, guys! You've forgotten the most important step in the breaking-in process. You have to sleep with the glove on your hand!

(Of course, your mom will get mad at you for getting neatsfoot oil stains on your sheets...)
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    May 2004
    The real way to break it in:
    1. Oil it well
    2. place a ball in the pocket (NOT THE WEBBING esp. if it's an infielder's glove)
    3. Tie it shut with something (rope/belt)
    4. Place it in your oven at a low temperature (200 to 250) and bake it.
    5. 45 to 60 minutes later take it out (you're just trying to heat it up not burn it).
    6. When it cools down enough put it on your hand and work the mit to form a nice wide pocket.
    7. When done, tie it up again with the ball inside and place it under your mattress and sleep on it
    8. Continue working it over the next few months to form a nice wide pocket

The last thing you want is to have a flat glove with a big crease down the middle of the pocket, especially if it's an infielder's glove. The goal is to form a wide area to receive the ball. Don't be afraid to form it by pushing the tops of the fingers down towards the heel of your palm. Check the stitching too along the fingers as it will likely need to be tightened as well. Simply untie it at the end (pinky) and tighten stitching towards the pinky finger starting with the index finger. The goal is to get it so that the glove fits your hand only.

Good luck.

Next week: How to form the bill of your baseball cap correctly.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Man I must have missed something, we were so poor I never hand a glove, perhaps that is the reason I duck and run instead of trying to catch a ball. Those gloves must be pretty neat things..
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The next-door neighbor's kid left his new glove outside in the rain and then jumped up and down on it.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My dad used to put a ball in the middle of the glove and put it in between the matress and the box spring each tim ewe were done using it...not sure if it really worked, I used my glove all the time so I broke it in naturally.

Registered
    May 2003
    Play ball. After a while it will be broken in.

My brother (much more a baseball wonk than me) did some of the above oil and tie it up methods.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Wow, i didn't know that so many people knew so much about baseball gloves.
    I played college baseball and now play amature ball in the summer and feel like I don't know anything. Thanks guys.

First what brand of glove is it? Different gloves are made of different types of leather and break in easier than others. If you bought a cheap glove it will take quite a bit longer to break in than if you bought a more expensive glove made out of pre-conditioned leather. Leather conditioner works good, but you could also use any kind of shoe conditioner. What i used to do is moisten a towel and place it in the palm of the glove for a half hour to an hour, take a women's softball or baseball(womans softball works better) and place it in the pocket after you remove the towel and tie the glove up very tight and place it in the freezer for and hour or two. Take it out and stand on it, kind of rolling back and forth on the ball under the archs of your feet.

That will help alot, but really the best way to break a glove in is to play catch with it. That way it forms to the way you close your hand to catch the ball.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Thanks guys. I will try to play catch tonight. Who would've thought I would be having a catch with my girlfriend? I know I didn't.
    Last edited by zman; 04 Apr 2005 at 5:08 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Thanks guys. I will try to play catch tonight. Who would've thought I would be having a catch with my girlfriend. I know I didn't.

You are a very lucky man. That is one thing i look for in a woman, a cannon for an arm and a willingness to use it.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Although I only had a baseball glove once which was stolen during seventh grade, I am surprised that no one mentioned about the idea of putting your baseball glove on the windowsill and have the sun shine on it. I'm not even sure where I got this, but it came out of my nostaglic head.

Is this an urban myth?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The wisdom of youth
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Aug 2013, 8:41 AM
  2. Youth and planning
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Oct 2010, 7:53 AM
  3. Replies: 1