Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Piles of papers - how much paper clutter is on your desk?

Piles of papers - how much paper clutter is on your desk?

I have devoted today to cleaning up my desk. I normally like to have a clean desk, but it never seems to stay that way for more than a day or two. Each piece of paper on my desk seems to correspond with something that I have to do. Currently, my "to do" stack is about 7.5 inches high. How high is yours?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    We have a record cleaning day once a year (Martin Luther King Day) and this year I really participated (instead of catching up on work) and got my office all cleaned out and organized. Its been about what? 6 weeks and it is still in pretty good shape...my "to do " pile is about 2" thick, not too bad....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I cleaned this morning. Mainly to put away the old accordion file folders away and recycle the random loose papers.

Usually there is some clutter, but not too much. I cannot work if there is too much clutter.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    hmm.. i wonder if there is some weird planetary "cleaning" alignment going on today. I got my desk better organized. I have four piles of 4 inches high, rather than six of 8 inches. I'm getting there.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    We have a record cleaning day once a year (Martin Luther King Day) and this year I really participated (instead of catching up on work) and got my office all cleaned out and organized. Its been about what? 6 weeks and it is still in pretty good shape...my "to do " pile is about 2" thick, not too bad....
    It must be all those staff reports you have to write - they don't create clutter because they are on your computer!

Quote Originally posted by boiker
    hmm.. i wonder if there is some weird planetary "cleaning" alignment going on today. I got my desk better organized. I have four piles of 4 inches high, rather than six of 8 inches. I'm getting there.
    Great job! I am actually able to see parts of my fake-mahogany-colored-wood desk right now.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 04 Apr 2005 at 7:19 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    When I got back from SF, a portion of my paperwork on the desk was 11" high...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My desk is pretty cluttered during the day. I purposely keep it that way so it looks like I'm ALWAYS busy. However, I HAVE to clean it before I leave. I hate to walk into a messy office in the morning and I don't trust the cleaning people. I don't want to risk having any of my papers thrown away. It takes way too much time to research stuff as it is.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have one pile about 3" deep and one maybe an inch. Guess it's time to clean/file.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My desk is an embarrassment. Da man is always getting after me (so, why did he hire me, 3 times now?). Maybe I'll post a pic someday....on second thought...naw. You bunch of neat-freaks.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My desk is my temple. Turns out my temple is cluttered with stacks of not only paper, but things in general. Let's run thru some of those, shall we?

-cellphone
    -litany of receipts and tiny loose papers with phone numbers, et al
    -an iPod cabe
    -sticky tack
    -free passes to a strip club
    -speakers, laptop, alarm clock, cordless telephone
    -pens. lots of pens. highlighters too (but not lots of them).
    -PS/2 to USB mouse converter
    -toronto and kitchener/waterloo maps
    -digital camera in case
    -note "brick"
    -notebook
    -chequebooks
    -post it notes
    -easter cards from family
    -compact flash cards
    -buttons

And so on. I keep finding more things under the rubble.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Ummmm...nothing except for the regular desk stuff - computer, phone, pictures, etc. I actually went through the 'to-do' pile yesterday and got all of it done! Is it time for an desk picture thread. I think we had one of those awhile back.

That brings me to this question - I am the type of person to have a very clean desk. If there is too much stuff on it I get anxious and scatterbrained. What does a desk say about a person? If there is a bunch of stuff on it, does it say the person has a lot to do, or he/she is just unorganized and scatterbrained. If a desk is cleaned and organized does that say the person doesn't have enough to do, or just organized?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    That brings me to this question - I am the type of person to have a very clean desk. If there is too much stuff on it I get anxious and scatterbrained. What does a desk say about a person? If there is a bunch of stuff on it, does it say the person has a lot to do, or he/she is just unorganized and scatterbrained. If a desk is cleaned and organized does that say the person doesn't have enough to do, or just organized?
    If there is a bunch of stuff on it at least in my boss' case it means he likes to be involved in every project (completes his favorites, ignores the rest) and just doesn't like to file or get rid of anything. Yet he knows where it all is. His office has been in the same state of discord for the 13 years he has worked. I found pictures.

If the desk is clean -- they may be slacking too much on Cyburbia
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Well, I brilliantly now have a desk only 18 inches deep, which shouldn't allow for piles of papers. It still has a pile threatening to displace my mouse. And the rest of the piles are on the credenza, printer, and large round table.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Cleanliness is not next to Godliness, I looked it up. A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind. With that being said, yes my desks tend to be cluttered. I'm a planning director, and this comes with the territory along with adult ADD. I have occasional purges when it gets too deep when I have a few spare moments.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm a neat freak, so everything is *usually* in nice neat piles. Sometimes I get too busy and organization flies out the window, often to the detriment of my mental health. I came in last Saturday to catch up on some filing, so things are looking really nice in here. Yep, I'm one sick puppy!

My current "to do" stack is probably the equivalent to 3".

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Actually, its not too bad only a inch, give or take a 1/4 depending on the day, mostly its journal articles I've printed out and drafts of papers. The closer to July it gets, the more it will grow

Wow! Some of you guys are really organized. I can't imagine that you have less work than I have....so there must be a way that I can also keep my desk clean. Maybe some year I will figure it out.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What is this "desk" that you speak off ?
    You mean there should be a desk underneath all that paper.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Mar 2008, 3:13 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Apr 2004, 11:08 AM
  3. Visual Clutter and Safety
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Jan 2004, 1:41 PM
  4. Clutter down under