Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Masters or not

Masters or not

As of late I have been trying to land a planning job, without a Masters. I have a BA in Geography, and I did a 6-month intern city planner, which I loved. I graduated about 5 years ago, and have been in a GIS line of work for a wireless company ever since. I now want to get back into planning. I have sent out a few applications, and have gotten a couple of interviews, hopefully they will go well. My question is this, if you could guess, what is the percentage of Planners without a Masters?

A few places won't even accept an application without a Master's it seems, that's why I'm asking.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Depends on where you are. MN... I have no clue. I know in Socal hardly anyone had a masters. But in Norcal, you need a masters, PhD preferable, AICP required. It's weird up there. Here in Las Vegas, I'm the only one with a masters that I know of. I'm sure they are out there, I just haven't met them yet. A masters did help me get a job with no contacts or networking, so it's still worthwhile...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    This Thread might be of help.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    This Thread might be of help.
    I don't think that thread is a good indicator of the new wave of planners... those fresh out of school.

I have seen a growing number of planners going on for the masters right now. Unless you have significant (i.e. 5 or more years) experience in the field right now, I think that getting a masters would position you better in the coming years. I don't have a masters, and I'm even thinking that I could use one sometime (and I have over 15 years of experience as a professional planner). Upper Mgmt jobs especially are becoming harder to get without a masters. Right now I'm middle management (branch manager), but department heads may be going to masters minimum in which case I'd be hooped if I ever tried to go higher in the organization. I don't think that's much of a problem for me since I really like my current position and probably wouldn't want to deal with the political headaches of the next job up.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. UK vs.US for Masters
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Aug 2013, 4:02 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Feb 2013, 11:54 AM
  3. SFU masters
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Sep 2009, 4:23 PM