Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Columbia for International development?

Registered
    Apr 2005

Columbia for International development?

what do you think about international planning at Columbia? I'm trying to decide between there and Berkeley (which i know everyone says is the best). But I've heard Cal is all theory and little practice and I also would rather stay on the east coast.
    the main comparison I guess would be the opportunities to work in international development during school and after (and research with faculty). Anyone know anything about international dev at either program?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Columbia has several good case studies for international development. You should have a mastery of Spanish, and (if you travel into the hills) self defense skills are mandatory.

Oh, wait. You mean Columbia University...never mind.

Registered
    Mar 2004

What a colossal waste of

MONEY$$$$$$$$
    My cousin got a Masters in Social Work at Columbia......spent huge $$$....for a degree that might get you $35k a year instead of $32k......He is now apparently going for a PhD, so it made sense to go to Columbia.......but....

Are you talking about the Urban Planning Program and MSUP???? Or some other Masters in International Planning through some other school??? Either way, if you want to be a diplomat and/or go on for a PhD....GO FOR it and spend the money.....
    if you want to work in this country.....Buy a Ferrari and go to an accredited state university instead.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2005
    At Berkeley and Columbia (not Colombia...) it's for a MCP and MS in UP respectively. I would assume that a MSW is very different, given that they are 2 completely different fields. And Columbia gave me some money, so that's something I can work out on my own...
    I would more like to know about what people think about the content of these programs and what they offer in terms of professional experience and connections--any alums from either or both programs that did international planning?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Mar 2013, 2:58 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 9:47 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2009, 1:19 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Aug 2009, 2:00 PM
  5. Planning in international development
    Career Development and Advice