Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do people actually get free stuff?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Do people actually get free stuff?

I came across a site to join an internet opinion group and they offered a free bike for signing up.
    I have also seen ads to get gift cards, IPods, and movie tickets for the same thing.

Is this for real? If I give them my info will someone ID theft me? Am I obligated to this entity for signing up?
    Anyone done it?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Probably not, it's just a way to get you on a mail/phone/email list. They sell the names to marketing companies. In this era of identy theft, you asking for additional problems.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner
    Probably not, it's just a way to get you on a mail/phone/email list. They sell the names to marketing companies. In this era of identy theft, you asking for additional problems.
    That's what I thought, but I wanted to check the Throbbing Brain first.

I would like to hear any success stories with this if there are any.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I came across a site to join an internet opinion group and they offered a free bike for signing up. I have also seen ads to get gift cards, IPods, and movie tickets for the same thing.

Is this for real? If I give them my info will someone ID theft me? Am I obligated to this entity for signing up?

Anyone done it?
    1) If you're an "associate" involved in one of those deals, please don't post a link anywhere on Cyburbia; some schemes involves some element of multi-level marketing, where you have to get others to sign up.

2) They supposedly work, but you have to go through a LOT of work and frustration to get your IPod or Mini Mac. You'll find more details at these sites.

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64614,00.html
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1771223899144212/

Here's a good description of one scheme I read on another message board.

It involves signing up for a trial offer on something (be it a magazine subscription, netflix, internet service, etc.) where a credit card is required. If you fail to contact them after your free trial is up, they start billing you directly on your credit card.

You are also required to get five friends to do the same thing (they do not receive an I-pod for their troubles, just you).

So, if the six of you can follow a calendar and make sure you all cancel your trial services before they start to bill you, you can receive one i-pod to share amongst yourselves.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

If you want free stuff...

Keep your sights a bit lower. Anyone offering something in that price range will expect a lot out of you. If, however, you shop on-line or just like getting little free gifts from time to time, go here:

http://www.fatwallet.com/

If you're going to mess around and get free stuff, you will get spam and junk mail. I have a P.O. box anyway, so no biggie, and Yahoo has a good spam filter. But don't do something like... say... use your work account.

You can find some really nice deals if you look:

Sheets - 300TC King $15
    Bulbs and plants - Free
    Pens (cool ones) - Free
    A whole BUNCH of shower and bath stuff (for presents) - $25
    Four slice toaster - $22
    Shot Glass - Free
    2 years of Sporting News - Free

Just a few of my finds... The folks on the site really have it down. They can find product, price match it somewhere else, use a promotional coupon, and then get a rebate that nets them some money...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2000
    There is no such thing as a free lunch.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    There is no such thing as a free lunch.
    But there are very cheap lunches from time to time...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Call.....

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I came across a site to join an internet opinion group and they offered a free bike for signing up.
    I have also seen ads to get gift cards, IPods, and movie tickets for the same thing.

Anyone done it?
    ZMan (and Cardinal), there is a company in Lakewood called Eagle Research. You should call them and have your name added to their list:

1. They conduct honest market research on everything from beer to chips to cereal to vehicles to sunglasses to YOU NAME IT.

2. They pay cold hard cash $50 to $100 a trip.

3. They can be fun discussions.

4. They pay you as you leave the building.

5. They tend to only need two hours of your time and conduct the research in the evenings or on weekends....

A very good company and I looked forward to getting their calls to join in a discussion group. Look them up.........
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 136
    Last post: 01 Aug 2007, 7:20 PM
  2. Free Speech Free Zones in Malls
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 17 Mar 2003, 8:57 AM