Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Penn vs. UNC

     
    Registered
    Dec 2004

Penn vs. UNC

I was recently accepted to the Masters programs at Penn and UNC. Assuming I'd rather stay in the northeast to work after graduation, which school would be more helpful in getting a job?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    It does not matter!!!!!!!

IMO your first best chance for a job is in the area you go to school or intern in. but school does not matter.

     
    Registered
    Dec 2004

what do employers look for then?

Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    It does not matter!!!!!!!

IMO your first best chance for a job is in the area you go to school or intern in. but school does not matter.
    what do employers look for in job candidates?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ebatcho
    what do employers look for in job candidates?
    It's all about networking. If you go to Philly, you'll make contacts in Philly. If you go to Chapel Hill, you're more likely to make contacts in Raleigh, Charlotte, etc.

They're both great schools, so I'd say go where you feel most comfortable and will take on the least amount of debt. Networking potential could be a tie breaker.

Good luck!

     
    Registered
    Dec 2004

boston

so if i want to stay in boston i'm probably better off at tufts than penn or unc, assuming i don't get into another boston school?

so if i want to stay in boston i'm probably better off at tufts than penn or unc, assuming i don't get into another boston school?
    You want to determine what your career goal is and see how each fits with the goal (e.g. do you want to be a wonk, a designer, and so forth). Although you'll make contacts wherever you decide to go, that will not limit your opportunities for an internship in your chosen geographic area.

I'm a little partial to the quakers because I love the architecture library. Did some research on Paul Cret there. Fantastic place.

Congratulations on your acceptances and good luck.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JLA
    It's all about networking. If you go to Philly, you'll make contacts in Philly. If you go to Chapel Hill, you're more likely to make contacts in Raleigh, Charlotte, etc.
    Don't forget about active alumni networks too. When I was at UNC, we had a lot of contact with alumni in places like D.C., Atlanta, NYC, even Philly. It helped some of my classmates find leads.

     
    Registered
    Dec 2004

more questions

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess
    Don't forget about active alumni networks too. When I was at UNC, we had a lot of contact with alumni in places like D.C., Atlanta, NYC, even Philly. It helped some of my classmates find leads.
    Thanks. In general, is it reasonable to assume that Penn has a better alumni network in the New England/New York area than UNC? How did you like your experience at UNC? I'm from Boston and I've never really been down south other than a one week trip to Virginia. Do you think I'd fit right in or is it a big adjustment?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Thanks. In general, is it reasonable to assume that Penn has a better alumni network in the New England/New York area than UNC? How did you like your experience at UNC? I'm from Boston and I've never really been down south other than a one week trip to Virginia. Do you think I'd fit right in or is it a big adjustment?
    As a current student in the dept at UNC who also got into Penn, I can tell you that Chapel Hill is a great place to live and the dept. is a great place to learn. What I would suggest is making visits to both places if you can. UNC's Open House, coming up in April made many people's decision to come here easy, and the only way to really know where you want to go is to visit, talk to the students and professors, and think about the curriculum.

Another good way to decide is to look at the dept. and what you'd like to focus in. Are you more interested in policy or design? Are there other, complimentary classes you'd like to take, like MBA, Environmental Policy/Science, Public Health, etc. you'd like to take?

Anyway, feel free to email me (jsabs@email.unc.edu) if there are any questions I can answer for you. Good luck, and hope to see you at Open House!

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Crazeeeguy
    As a current student in the dept at UNC who also got into Penn, I can tell you that Chapel Hill is a great place to live and the dept. is a great place to learn. What I would suggest is making visits to both places if you can. UNC's Open House, coming up in April made many people's decision to come here easy, and the only way to really know where you want to go is to visit, talk to the students and professors, and think about the curriculum.
    Having myself lived in The Southern Part of Heaven for the better part of a decade, and being myself a northerner, I can say that Chapel Hill is not the south, except for the weather. It certainly is worth a visit, especially with spring approaching. Check out the new "rowhouses" (typical Chapel Hill pretense!), which were running for $850K when I saw them a couple of years ago. I never attended the Planning school there, though I did talk to some of the faculty about it...I was always told that it was a pretty theoretical department.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I was in your shoes one year ago. I'm at Penn, but was extremely close to picking UNC.

Definitely consider the cost. I'll be in debt up to my eyeballs when I get that masters degree because Penn is pretty *%^%% expensive. UNC is a downright bargain. For me, obviously, it was not the overriding factor, but I totally understand how it would be for many folks (and sometimes I slap myself for not picking UNC when I see my bank statement!). Try to get to both schools' open houses, they'll give you an excellent idea of what it might be like there.

If that's not the overriding issue, make sure you visit both places; they're totally different. I chose Penn because it's in Philadelphia, and I like big, dense cities, and wanted to learn how to do planning in such an environment, knowing I wouldn't be able to get the same thing in North Carolina (not to mention, I like living in big cities). Either way, your degree from one of these places get you a job pretty much anywhere you want to.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions about Penn.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm from Boston and I've never really been down south other than a one week trip to Virginia. Do you think I'd fit right in or is it a big adjustment?
    I can tell you that we had several Bostonians in the program when I was there. I hadn't been down south either. In certain respects, it WAS an adjustment -- but it's only a two-year commitment. I finished school and returned to the Great Northeast.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005

unc vs. penn

wow, penn vs. unc is my exact dilemma at the moment. i'll be at both open houses (mit too, though they weren't as great with the financial aid as the other two), so i'll have to decide after i visit...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

I was recently accepted to the Masters programs at Penn and UNC. Assuming I'd rather stay in the northeast to work after graduation, which school would be more helpful in getting a job?
    I'd say UNC, just based on the number of people that get excited when I tell them I went to UNC.....only to see the look on their faces when I tell them I went to the University of Northern Colorado......but little do they know, its a great medium sized liberal arts teaching school with a dedicated faculty and boring town which allowed The One to learn a lot
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RadioAgony
    wow, penn vs. unc is my exact dilemma at the moment. i'll be at both open houses (mit too, though they weren't as great with the financial aid as the other two), so i'll have to decide after i visit...
    I'm going to be at the open houses for Penn, MIT, and UMD, So I'll see you there. I'm have the same dillemma with the funding: Penn = some funding, MIT = not so much. Going to regulate on some calls this week.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    ok, penn vs. unc. let's open this back up again and maybe get a bit more program-specific. i'm having a really tough time deciding. pros, cons... go.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Toronto vs. Penn
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Apr 2011, 3:12 PM
  2. Anyone going to Penn?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 May 2010, 11:55 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Jul 2008, 7:39 PM