Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guelph vs York

Registered
    Apr 2005

Guelph vs York

I have been accepted to Guelph (Rural and Development Planning) and York (Urban and Regional Planning) schools. I'm interested in waste management. I have been given conflicting advice about these schools. Any thoughts/comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally posted by aopped
    I have been accepted to Guelph (Rural and Development Planning) and York (Urban and Regional Planning) schools. I'm interested in waste management. I have been given conflicting advice about these schools. Any thoughts/comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

You didn't mention whether you will be attending these programs at the undergrad or graduate level. But regardless, you'd better have an engineering degree already if you wish to get into either the planning or operational end of waste management.

Although the York program (at least at the graduate level where I received my education quite a while ago) and the Guelph program have quite different emphases, either one will give you a good generalist planning education. (And as the name says, the Guelph program will have a strong emphasis on rural planning.) However, the York program (and from the little I know of the Guelph program) will not give you the adequate technical background to get into waste management.

Further, why are you trying to narrow your focus to waste management so early in your education? Specialization in a technical field is certainly not the strength of the York program. If nothing else, the York program tries to broaden your perspectives. This program will educate generalist planners who can adapt themselves into many different fields within the planning profession. If you wish to specialize early in your education, do that with an undergraduate degree such as engineering and attend York at the graduate level.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by aopped
    I would say get some more options. But if I had to choose between either of them, it would be York. It looks like you're heading down the Environmental Assessment road and York is far better equipped to deal with that. York's program is within the Environmental Studies faculty - and all that pertains - while Guelph is in the Science faculty.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for your responses. I will attend at the graduate level. Right now these are my options – I didn’t hear back from Queen’s yet. I am coming from a very generalist undergrad (environmental studies) so I’m looking forward at narrowing my scope. However, I am neither interested nor qualified to design engineer landfills/incinerators etc. As of now I’m interested in researching waste management policy (site selection, EA's) and practices for my thesis/major report.
    According to one professor of mine, the York curriculum has been hijacked by the radical left and they teach activism not professionalism…what do you think?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New York City
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Mar 2013, 12:02 PM
  2. Greetings from New York!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Jan 2013, 10:13 AM
  3. Research from New York, NY
    Introduce Yourself