Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Talk about Cultural Pollution!

Talk about Cultural Pollution!

Cell Phone Ring Tones

Its Billboard Hot Ringtones Chart debuted in November; currently in first place is "Candy Shop" by 50 Cent featuring Olivia.

Billboard also added a Ringtone of the Year category to its annual awards, bestowing the title in December to 50 Cent's "In Da Club
    It's bad enough we have to hear annoying conversations all day, but now we're subject to lowbrow, offensive lyrics from pop stars as well.

What's it going to take to get these people to STFU?!! If there's ever a case for the legalization of cell phone jammers, this is it right here.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The woman in the cubicle next to me has some country music song as her ringtone. I hate country music.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Amen!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Either I am too old or not hip enough but I do not recognize any of those
    "Top 10 Ringtones" listed in the article.

But then again it does not really matter anyway because I don't have a cell phone.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Our young planner I, whose office is beside mine, has the theme from Godfather on his cell. And he has the ring volume set on 10. He's always walking away from his office and leaving it on his desk to cycle through and through.

NTTAWWT.

Je suis Charlie

I think it would be fun to have the 'Dueling banjos' as a ring tone.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I had Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight as the ringtone for my SO way before the commercial and also had Kansas' Dust in the Wind and Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover for regular rings. After that damn commercial, I had to switch my SO's ring to Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On. I like custom rings, but I stick with the ones that are less annoying and not so trendy, like the rap ringtones (sorry to those living the thug life). I usually have the ring volume pretty low or have the phone set for silent/vibrate.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I downloaded the Partridge Family's " I Think I Love You" ring tone simply to irritate my boss. It's the little things in life that bring me joy.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    When my phone rings it plays the theme to "Super Mario Bros 1" If you can find a midi, mp3, wav of a song or sound clip, trim it down to what you need.. use one of the free uploading tools, you'll never pay $2.50 for a ringtone again...and never should have to begin with.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    The thing I can't imagine is that people PAY for ringtones. and wall paper for their cell phones. why don't people have better things to do with their money?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    You all know I hate Culture Pollution as much as the next Planner, but I did find Rush ringtones for my phone. But they are hardly ever on and my phone is typically off at work anyways, so I never hear em.

I do not like the $5.99 Jamster ringtone/wallpaper/games subscriptions they advertise on TV. If people are worried about that, then they should be .... welll.... they should be something.... sorry I am tired this morning and cannot think.

Do people actually have their phones on at work? I think we can have ours on, but I never do. One of our planner's is in the Natnl Guard, and receives calls from his C.O. and I can understand that, but other young planners leaving their loud phones on all day? Setting a bad example for a young planner like me?

....Thanks guys...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    My ring tone on my elderly (three year old) cell phone is one of the defaults - an old-school Western Electric phone. Call me a Luddite at heart, I guess.

I was in a meeting not too long ago where a cell phone went off. The phone, belonging to someone who was wearing a very expensive suit, blared out "SHAKE THAT ASS! SHAKE THAT ASS!" IMO, anyone who pays $6 a month to get a screen saver of SPINNAHZ! or DA PIMP CUP! on their mobile phone display deserves to be ripped off. It's economic Darwinism in action.

Who do we have to thank for this? Europeans. They started the custom ringtone fad several years ago.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    The thing I can't imagine is that people PAY for ringtones. and wall paper for their cell phones. why don't people have better things to do with their money?
    My sentiments exactly!!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    IMO, anyone who pays $6 a month to get a screen saver of SPINNAHZ! or DA PIMP CUP! on their mobile phone display deserves to be ripped off. It's economic Darwinism in action.
    Amen! That's the only thing good about ring tones is that these consumer zombies have to pay. Of course, they will probably file bancruptcy and we'll all have to pay in the end, but if they get dinged for $6 a month, well that's $6 that they can't use for some other form of lowbrow entertainment.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Some people like to waste their money. I don't plan on having a camera or an MP3 player on my cell phone. If I want to listen to music, I will turn on the radio. I figure it this way, it is no different than if someone walked around with a radio with a CD playing. If it gets bad, someone will tell them to shut it off.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    My ring tone on my elderly (three year old) cell phone is one of the defaults - an old-school Western Electric phone. Call me a Luddite at heart, I guess.
    Ditto...I found it for free by googling "Old Phone ringtone". People think it's cool simply because it's NOT some rap/hip hop/muzak tune.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Our young planner I, whose office is beside mine, has the theme from Godfather on his cell. And he has the ring volume set on 10. He's always walking away from his office and leaving it on his desk to cycle through and through.

NTTAWWT.

Now see? Where you see pain, I see opportunity! Does he ever wear short sleeves to work? If so, put his phone at the bottom of his trash can while he's gone, add paper, then add things like... ink, pencil shavings, pencil lead from a sharpener, leftover lunch, etc. Then, when he gets back... give him a "jingle". Reaching into that wastebasket just might give him a clue how people feel about his phone!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Since I lost my previous cell phone, I have a new one

Haven't set any of the tones yet.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I think the way around the annoying ring tones is to simply wait until they come up with the cranial implant phone that rings inside an individuals head.

In the absence of that technological advance you could, if it becomes annoying enough, experiment with your own crude interpretation by shoving the offenders phone into any of their available cranial orrifaces.
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.

Registered
    May 2003
    I tried to get the theme to Excite Bike but I couldn't find it in a working format.

Right now it just vibrates.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    I tried to get the theme to Excite Bike but I couldn't find it in a working format.

EXCITE BIKE?! Man, it has been a while, I miss that game...

Good Call!

What about the theme/background music for 1943?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I did not like my stock ringtones. So I downloaded Iron Maiden's Run to the Hills. Which I know withoug looking that it is not in top 10.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Mine plays the X-Files theme
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My new cellphone did not even come with a "normal" ring so I had to use the two months of free internet access from Rogers AT&T to download a few normal ones. Ring ring.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Run to the Hills.

Why can't we get socially conscious metal anymore?

White man came across the sea
    He brought us pain and misery
    He killed our tribes, he killed our creed
    He took our game for his own need

We fought him hard we fought him well
    Out on the plains we gave him hell
    But many came too much for cree
    Oh will we ever be set free?

Riding through dustclouds and barren wastes
    Galloping hard on the plains
    Chasing the redskins back to their holes
    Fighting them at their own game
    Murder for freedom a stab in the back
    Women and children and cowards attack

Run to the hills run for your lives
    Run to the hills run for your lives
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Is light pollution a big deal?
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 13 Oct 2012, 12:24 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Jul 2010, 12:52 PM
  3. Flagpole lighting and light pollution
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0