Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quirky little movies

Registered
    Feb 2004

Quirky little movies

Hadn't seen 'Eating Raul' for over a decade and watched it last night. I guess it's a timeless comedy classic (with cannibalistic themes) because I laughed just as hard as the last time I saw it 12 years ago. This weekend I think I will rent a flick made in New Zeeland back in the 80's called 'The Quiet Earth'. It's a story about a guy who awakes one morning to find that (apparently) all the humans on earth have vanished except him. I recall particularly liking how they portray all the different psychological stages the guy goes through being Alone.
    I tend to like quirky little movies because they don't tell the same stories over and over again with only minor variations, like one tends to see with 'big' multi-million dollar major productions.
    Any recommendations for good quirky movies they've seen?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It's more mainstream, but "Napoleon Dynamite" is about as quirky as it comes.
    Another that comes to mind is "Raising Arizona"

Both movies are not issed on unusual studios or hard to find, but they don't fit th typical Hollywood description.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I tend to like quirky little movies because they don't tell the same stories over and over again with only minor variations, like one tends to see with 'big' multi-million dollar major productions.
    I have said it before....
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I will define "quirky" as movies that make you think or expose the often bizarre side of human psychology. I like "Clockwork Orange", "The Beguiled" and "Do the Right Thing".
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2003
    How about Being There http://imdb.com/title/tt0078841/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Good choice!

another:
    The Hudsucker Proxy (or most Coen brothers movies)

EDIT:
    Don't forget Terry Gilliam movies - Brazil, Time Bandits, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,
    Last edited by mendelman; 07 Apr 2005 at 10:04 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ah Yes

Amazing that a guy that once acted in a red smoking jacket as "Guy Gaadwar" aka my Avatar, could make such a great movie.......Excellent Choice JNA
    How about Dead Ringers? One of my favorites is the Mouse that Roared
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    "Oh, I've been to Prague!"

I knew there had to be another fan out there. Now, how can we get it released on DVD?
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    "Being There", "Clockwork Orange"......yes, quirky. Good choices. (Side bar question: Does being nominated for an Oscar disqualify a movie from the "quirky" category?)

I would add:

"Resurrection" - Ellyn Burstyn almost dies in a car crash. When she is well she finds that she has the hands of a "healer" and a whole different attitude about life and death. Very soft and moving movie. Yes, quirky.

"Careful, He Might Hear You" - A great quirk from Australia, about 1984 or so. It depicts a legal struggle for a little boy. The wrangling is between the aunt and uncle that are raising the boy and the "frigid" rich aunt who wants to raise him. Really good.

A couple Jeff Bridges' flicks would also be on my quirky list: "Fearless" and "The Fisher King".

Probably more.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    "I like to watch". Great movie.
    Also, pretty much anything Jim Jarmusch has ever done. His newer stuff is probably more accessible (Dead Man, Ghost Dog) but Stranger than Paradise just stays with me. Something about the pace of the movie, or the cinematography.
    Koyaanisqatsi is another favorite. I've mentioned it in other threads, but it's got particular resonance for us planners. No dialogue, no plot, just streaming images of the natural and man-made environment, flowing by at different speeds, set to music by Philip Glass. It's not as esoteric as it sounds; it's actually completely absorbing. Takes you from the desert Southwest to Pruitt-Igoe (before and after), and everywhere else in between.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    It's subtitled, but I really like Chungking Express, a wierd little noirish detective story/introspective "love story" oh I don't know how to describe it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    One of my all time faves! Now that I think about it, Peter Sellers was in a disproportionate number of my all time faves. Way more than any other comedian I can think of (Mouse that Roared, Mouse on the Moon, Return of the Pink Panther, Dr. Strangelove, Being There)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2000
    How about "Time Bandits"? Anyone remember that gem full of sweaty midgets?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I enjoyed "Clerks" the kevin smith flicked, liked it better then the movies that followed but the budgets got bigger and bigger but not better.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    I enjoyed "Clerks" the kevin smith flicked, liked it better then the movies that followed but the budgets got bigger and bigger but not better.
    Yes, Clerks....very good.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2002

How little is little?

Bambi vs. Godzilla
    More

The Dinner Party
    THX 1138
    The King of Hearts

Quirky? The Devil and Miss Jones
    WALSTIB

How about a couple of Canadian flicks:

Jesus of Montreal - What you produce when your priest asks you to update the annual passion play and your main actor insists that he will only participate if he can incorporate Hamlet's soliloquy into his role. A terrific movie and allegory. (in french)

When the Night is Falling - includes a couple wonderful Cirque du Soleil acts.

There was also a really funny Australian movie that I can't remember the name of - maybe someone can help me out here - It was about an aging DJ who moved to a small outback town where two sisters were very interested in him, but one suspected that maybe he was really a fish.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I always liked "Ghost World" with Steve Buscemi, Thora Birch and Scarlett Johanson.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am by no means any sort of movie buff, I haven't seen many of the so-called "classics" and usually hate cult-like films...but could someone enlighten me on Clockwork Orange? seems that I have read a book or seen it but cannot remember what it was about...
    There is also another movie about a bunch of heroine addicts living in an apartment and there is a baby in the room?? The characters are English (I think) Ring any bells for anyone???? Something about trains...ughgugh its driving me nuts trying to think of the name of the movie...

One of my favorites from the early '90's is Drug Store Cowboys. Basically junkies in the pacific northwest and what they have to go through to get their drugs i.e., knocking over drug stores.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I am by no means any sort of movie buff, I haven't seen many of the so-called "classics" and usually hate cult-like films...but could someone enlighten me on Clockwork Orange? seems that I have read a book or seen it but cannot remember what it was about...
    There is also another movie about a bunch of heroine addicts living in an apartment and there is a baby in the room?? The characters are English (I think) Ring any bells for anyone???? Something about trains...ughgugh its driving me nuts trying to think of the name of the movie...
    Trainspotting.

As for Clockwork Orange, its been a while, but it's set in a dystopian "future" world of random gang violence (definitely one of the most nihilistic movies made, imo) and how the State mind controls the gang members into passivity. Anyone else have a better description. I now have a DVD of the movie and need to watch it again.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Trainspotting, and they are Scottish. If you liked that film I recommend "Acid House," another Irvine Welsh book turned movie.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I saw "The Ladykillers" with Tom Hanks and Marlon Wayans a couple of weeks ago (I know, a very odd pairing), and I loved it. It's another Coen brothers movie, and it was hilarious.

I don't know why it hasn't gotten more pub.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Trainspotting.

As for Clockwork Orange, its been a while, but it's set in a dystopian "future" world of random gang violence (definitely one of the most nihilistic movies made, imo) and how the State mind controls the gang members into passivity. Anyone else have a better description. I now have a DVD of the movie and need to watch it again.
    THANK YOU!!!! Yes that is the movie I was thinking of (its been driving me crazy for a few weeks now) I didn't particulary like that movie but it had an effect on me...and I have seen Clockwork Orange, don't think I really liked it too much...there are just certain movies that leave me with a strange feeling and I can't watch them...most of them are typically cult like films..even the Rocky Horror Picture Show is one I hate to watch (well it used to be fun to go see it in the theatre, but its not something I like to sit down to watch)...anyway thanks, you have eased my mind

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Movies that didn't age well
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 09 Aug 2012, 7:12 PM
  2. Quirky Homes and Homeowners
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 31 May 2011, 5:00 PM
  3. Replies: 18