Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Congress mulls extending Daylight Savings Time

Congress mulls extending Daylight Savings Time

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...gy_congress_dc

The panel agreed in a voice vote to move the start of daylight-saving time in the United States -- which occurs when clocks are turned forward by one hour -- one month earlier to the first Sunday in March. The end of daylight time would be moved back one month to the last Sunday in November.
    I think is a great idea idea. I always lamented November, not because it was cold, but because the sun set so early (as opposed to October). I could do so much more with the kids after work if it was light out after 7PM in November and early March.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 07 Apr 2005 at 12:44 PM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Your thoughts?
    Do it. The only reason why we don't have a longer daylight saving time period is because people were concerned that their children would wait for a morning school bus in the dark.

There's just two things that could cause confusion. For a few months out of the year, Eastern Time in Canada will be different thann Eastern time in the US. Also, the town where I live is home to several kosher restaurants and many businesses owned by Orthodox Jews. Would they adjust their Friday business hours for a now-later Shabbos?

Will Indiana ever adopt DST? The argument that cows will get confused or corn will burn just seems silly. How about the confusion that humans in the state experience with fast time and slow time?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    That's our congress person!

I think it is a good idea.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Of course, this being Indiana, we'd find some way around it a continue to have the most idiotic rules imaginable. All in all, I'm okay with it.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I agree.. make the change. Gedunker, I've never found Indiana's time changing that difficult to understand. Don't know why you Hoosiers can't pick up on your own ****-eyed rules
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Do it. The only reason why we don't have a longer daylight saving time period is because people were concerned that their children would wait for a morning school bus in the dark.
    Additionally, there would be more traffic accidents from morning commuters driving in the dark. It depends a lot on your latitude and your position in the time zone whether this will be an issue. Places that are hit the worst are northern cities that are far to the west in their time zone. Under the new rules:

In Detroit: The sun would rise later than 7:15 (and as late as 7:59) for the last three weeks of March. It would rise later than 8:05 (and as late as 8:36) for the first three weeks of November.

In Boise: The sun would rise later than 7:30 (and as late as 8:12) for the last three weeks of March. It would rise later than 8:20 (and as late as 8:52!) for the first three weeks of November. Children in this area would pretty much be guaranteed to be walking to school or waiting for the bus in the dark for the two extra months of daylight saving time. For November, twilight doesn't even begin until 8:00 or so, so we're talking middle-of-the-night, stars-in-the-sky kind of dark.
    Last edited by Achernar; 07 Apr 2005 at 3:28 PM.

Quote Originally posted by Dan

There's just two things that could cause confusion. For a few months out of the year, Eastern Time in Canada will be different thann Eastern time in the US. Also, the town where I live is home to several kosher restaurants and many businesses owned by Orthodox Jews. Would they adjust their Friday business hours for a now-later Shabbos?

Will Indiana ever adopt DST? The argument that cows will get confused or corn will burn just seems silly. How about the confusion that humans in the state experience with fast time and slow time?
    Dan
    Indiana is an extremely conservative little state that hates change in all forms. Further, our General Assembly is a joke. The current school of thought is the General Assembly is a SNL skit on government that got out of control. I think this issue is assine. Go to eastern DST and be done with it. Except of the western counties, most of the state is on eastern time anyway.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Yeah, let's just confuse the poor astrologers some more.

You know, it isn't required that the states follow daylight saving time. It is only required that IF they do, they do so at the federally mandated time. Guam and Arizona do not.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Extending ETJ and Rezoning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Sep 2006, 4:04 PM
  2. Extending the ETJ/rezoning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 23 Jun 2006, 9:51 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Apr 2005, 7:14 AM