Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Restaurants that only locate in certain locations, AIB Dan's bad restaurant thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

Restaurants that only locate in certain locations, AIB Dan's bad restaurant thread

Dan's bad restaurant thread got me thinking that there are certain restaurant chains that only locate in certain locations. Examples of these are Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans which seem to be always located right off a major highway. Sbarros an Italian chain seems to have locations in mall food courts, airports, and I've seen a few in thruway rest stops. On the Chinese restaurant front any chain you see seems to be located in a food court of some type. At the univesity I go to they have the Manchu Wok, worst Chinese food I've ever had, but with a captive audience they seem to get plenty of business.

Any thoughts on why certain restuarant chains will only locate in certain high traffic locations? Any one have any exceptions to the examples I listed above? Any other examples?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I haven't been to a Bob Evans in years... good biscuits. Are they still around? We (obviously) have none in Colorado or any Western states that I can think of.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There are still some left in Western NY. The buildings are of the cartoon frontier town architectural styling. Bob Evan's also makes the best breakfast sausage, IMHO, although it seems to be getting harder to find at the supermarket.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    In my experience, Church's Chicken, Brown's Chicken, or Popeye's tend to locate in areas with a dominance of a certain ethnic heritage and lower economic class. Often, I go "to the hood" to get some of the best fried chicken around.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    There are Bob Evans all over MIssouri..I can think of 3 in a five mile radius of my office...and there is a Cracker Barrel right off Highway 70 near my office...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I've seen Paneras by the dozen in new or revitalized, upscale strip malls, outlots, and lifestyle centers, but I have yet to see one in an urban area.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've never seen a Sbarro outside of a food court or airport. Chick-fil-A, Orange Julius, Hot Dog on a Stick and Cajun Cafe are other chains that seem to be limited to mall food courts.

I've seen the rare Popeye's and Church's in white middle class suburbia, but that's outside of the Northeast and Midwest. White Castle locations around here are mostly located in gritty, tough neighborhoods, regardless of ethnicity.

Dietrich's was a coffeehouse chain in Denver, with most locations in neighborhoods that had a moderate to large number of gays.

Seems like every old Red Barn location I come across is now home to a florist shop of some sort.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    I've seen Paneras by the dozen in new or revitalized, upscale strip malls, outlots, and lifestyle centers, but I have yet to see one in an urban area.
    We have a St. Louis Bread Co. (same company/same product) on Main Street. It is the only real "chain" restaurant that has survived down there...Quiznos and Subway and Kriegers all went out of business on Main Street but Panera has survived...now we have a Starbuck getting ready to locate at the entrance to Main Street...I amy not be saying the same thing soon...
    And I think there is one in downtown Clayton and University City..both urban pedestrian areas...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My city has both Chick-fil-A and Sbarro in the downtown. Although, the Chick-fil-A is technically located in the food court of an office building so I donít know if that actually counts. As for Panera Bread, I believe that we have at least three of them in the denser neighborhoods of the East End.

Does anyone else think Cracker Barrel would do gangbusters business if they were to start opening outlets in retirement homes.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    Any thoughts on why certain restuarant chains will only locate in certain high traffic locations? Any one have any exceptions to the examples I listed above? Any other examples?
    There are a score of restaurant chains that only locate in the tourist/hotel/executive areas of cities (i.e. Back Bay in Boston, Chestnut Street in Philadelphia, Midtown Manhattan, Miracle Mile in Chicago, DuPont Circle/Georgetown in DC). Examples of these include Hard Rock Cafe, Legal Seafood, Maggianos Little Italy, Davios, Morton's, Capital Grille, The Palm, Smith & Wollensky's, etc.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I haven't been to a Bob Evans in years... good biscuits. Are they still around? We (obviously) have none in Colorado or any Western states that I can think of.

We have Elmers up here in Oregon. Great breakfasts...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    It's interesting to observe popular restaurant chains that made their location decisions about a dozen or so years ago.....and the sprawl area moves farther out. Examples in Toledo, OH:

Southwyck Mall (most likely to be in the dead mall pile soon) was the place to be back in the 1970's through the late 1990's. It is a big mall and it HAD three (3) anchor stores and a host of restaurants, hotels, and smaller retail in the area surrounding the center.

About a dozen or so years ago the Olive Garden placed an outlet directly across from Southwyck Mall. The slow death of the mall hasn't seemed (to an outside observer) to have slowed the Garden's business.....but a peek in their books would probably reveal less-than-dynamic sales growth. Corporate, which also owns Red lobster, probably is kicking themselves in the spaghetti butt because of their location.

The west side outerbelt (I-475 / US 23) is about a mile west of Southwyck Mall. When a new interchange was constructed along the outerbelt the road at that interchange went from a quiet 2-lane to an incredibly busy sprawlway of 5-lanes. Along that road are many restaurants.....every night their parking lots filled.

My guess is that the owners of the Southwyck area Olive Garden are salivating every time they see the sprawl, congestion, and money-spending trade that is out by the outerbelt.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Just recently, I ate some sourdough bread for the first time in a while. It reminded me of the sourdough buns that Checker's serve their hamburgers in. So, I'm now wondering how expansive is Checker's in the USA. It'd be interesting to see how far or close I need to drive to a not-so-nearby Checker's to have one of those burgers once again.

Oooh, I just remembered their curly fries... mm'good!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Only place I've ever seen a popeyes is on I 95 in Maine

You can only guess whatr neighbourhood these places are in

The Great Bagel
    What a Bagel
    Bagel Heaven
    Lox, Stock and Bagel
    The Bagel
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2004
    I've never seen a Bob's Big Boy outside of a New Jersey rest area.

Area specific chains:
    Bess Eaton - Rhode Island
    Duchess - Connecticut
    Waffle House - Florida (?)
    Dunkin Donuts - only poular in New England (my town has 6 at last count).

Chains all but foreign to Connecticut:
    Checker's
    Arby's
    Sonic
    White Castle

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Have you had the culinary delight to eat at a "Whattaburger"????????
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    You can only guess whatr neighbourhood these places are in

The Great Bagel
    What a Bagel
    Bagel Heaven
    Lox, Stock and Bagel
    The Bagel
    Bagel shops are everywhere, though. Like the Hebrew National hot dog commercials one said, "you don't have to be Jewish!"

The Empire Kosher Chicken Restaurant is about a mile and a half from me. It's part of a national chain that tends to locate their restaurants only in Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods.

There are a ton of restaurants in the Heights-area 'burbs of Cleveland that close for Shabbos, even though outwardly they don't scream "kosher" or "deli". I walked into one neighborhood diner one Sunday afternoon, and many heads in the place turned towards me. I was the only male in the place without a yarmulke, and it seemed like the big neon light over my head that read "GOYIM" was aglow and flashing.

In Buffalo, the vast majority of Jews are Reform and Conservative. There's only two true kosher restaurants that I know of (a place on campus at UB, and the Jewish Center in Amherst; Mastman's in North Buffalo is kosher in practice, but they aren't kashrut certified), a few supermarkets with certified kosher delis, and a caterer or two. I only recall one kosher restaurant in Denver, and one in El Paso.

Back on topic: a few other chains that came to mind:

Cluck U Chichen: in their prime, when the chain was national, outlets were located only near college campuses. In the first several years of the chain's life, Buffalo Wild Wings outlets were located only in college towns and neighborhoods.

Cheers: chain of taverns themed after the namesake television show, located only in airport terminals.

Pollo Campero: Guatemalan fast-food chain whose US outlets are located only in areas with a large population.of Central American immigrants. Supposedly very, very addictive chicken.

Jollibee: fast-food burger chain from the Phillipines, with US outlets located only in areas with a large Filipino community.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Of all the chains mentioned in the above posts, here are the ones with an outlet in Toledo, OH.....

White Castle.....just opened, in central Toledo.
    Arby's.....been here for years.
    Bob Evans....many outlets, been here for years.....Bob Evans is an Ohio company.
    Big Boy.....the local franchise is called Frisch's.....many of the outlets have closed.
    Cracker Barrel.....at least two (2) locations in Toledo metro.
    Panera's.....a few Toledo locations.
    Waffle House.....these have been sprouting up all over the area.
    Dunkin' Donuts......they were in Toledo.....not sure if any are still here.

There may be others that were mentioned, possibly in the area's giant regional mall. I never go to that place so I can't say for sure.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by edp828
    I think they still have some in L.A. I went to one in the Valley about five years ago. They used to have one in Barstow that we used to stop at on the way to Vegas. Good milkshakes

Another L.A. fave: In n Out Burgers. Once only in the L.A., then So. Cal regions, they've been creeping up the coast for the past decade. I don't even know their boundaries anymore.

Registered
    Jan 2004
    There is actually a stand-alone Chick Fillet on a suburban strip south of Dayton...failry new, too, so I guess they are starting to move out of the malls.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I think they still have some in L.A. I went to one in the Valley about five years ago. They used to have one in Barstow that we used to stop at on the way to Vegas. Good milkshakes
    Many years ago, we had Frisch's Big Boy in central FL. I read recently in a business magazine that they will be returning to the area soon, with one near my home, in a booming mall area.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Only place I've ever seen a popeyes is on I 95 in Maine
    There is, or was, one on Yonge Street just south of Dundas. There is another one in the Brampton City Centre mall. Those are the only two I can think of in Toronto, though I'm sure there are a few more. Never had the pleasure of eating there.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    In my experience, Church's Chicken, Brown's Chicken, or Popeye's tend to locate in areas with a dominance of a certain ethnic heritage and lower economic class. Often, I go "to the hood" to get some of the best fried chicken around.
    Yep. You can always find good ribs/bbq in "the hood" as well!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by edp828

Area specific chains:
    Bess Eaton - Rhode Island
    Duchess - Connecticut
    Waffle House - Florida (?)
    Dunkin Donuts - only poular in New England (my town has 6 at last count).

Chains all but foreign to Connecticut:
    Checker's
    Arby's
    Sonic
    White Castle

I wonder if that's the same Bob's Big Boy in the Detroit area. I wish Baltimore would get a Sonic. Maybe the real estate needed is too much because of the parking of the cars and the extra space needed for the menus. They have them in the Great Plains and down South.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 38
    Last post: 09 Oct 2013, 3:47 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last post: 09 Sep 2004, 6:27 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 Sep 2003, 8:44 PM
  4. Replies: 10