Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Our Scattered Families

Registered
    Mar 2005
    My husband and I have no family in Michigan. Our families are in Florida, Vegas, D.C. and Europe. Could we be any more spread out? A lot of our friends are in similar situations. Detroit reluctantly lures folks from all over the world for employment in very specialized fields related to the car industry. But families of those employed rarely seem to follow. We have conference calls with our families at least once a week, and earn a lot of miles traveling throughout the year. In 5 years, we have never vacationed where we weren't visiting family or close friends.
    urbanchik

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Mom and Dad and all of my aunts are right here within 10-20 minutes of me
    Brother lives in Pheonix
    2 Uncles and Great Aunt live in Sacramento and Oakland, CA
    We are all really close, I tried to move away once..took me about 6 months, realized I missed them and I wanted the boys to be around grandma and grandpa as much as possible, so I came home...I am happier here.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Parents and grandmother in north-central and southeast Indiana, in-laws in central and southern Indiana, nieces in Dallas, uncles in Seattle, Anchorage, and Teignmouth, UK, cousins in Spain, London, Exeter, and Hong Kong, aunt in Norway, 2nd cousins in Illinois, San Francisco, and Yap. Needless to say, we're not too big on family reunions.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Before I moved to Florida, my immediate family (mom, dad, brothers/sisters in law, etc).all lived in the same state.

Most of my aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparent are up in the Baltimore/DC area or NYC.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Entire family is in Texas, but Texas is big enough that they might as well be in another state in some cases.

Brother 1, wife, 2 kids: Grapevine, TX (mid-cities suburb of Dallas-Fort Worth)
    Brother 2, wife, 2 kids: Mansfield, TX (southern suburb of Fort Worth)
    Uncle/Aunt 1: Lubbock, TX
    Aunt 2: Henrieta, TX (between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls, TX sort of)
    Nephew: Lubbock, TX (son of brother 1, divorce)
    Parents: Canyon Lake, TX
    Grandma 1: Midland, TX
    Grandma 2: New Braunfels, TX

Brother 1 would definitely sympathize with RJ. They divorced for what sounds like the same reason. Brother 1 was transferred with his job to Altoona, PA while his son stayed with his ex in Lubbock. He would fly his son to Altoona once a month and got him all summer. He was an absolute wreck when after he would go put him on the plane.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2001

more chutes than roots

To beging with my paternal grandfather came from eastern euorpe somewhere -- family history is vague on this as well as just how he came to settle among the Scotts-Irish immigrants in small town western PA. My parents moved from there to Cle OH seeking opportunities of their own. We took bi-annual vacation trips back to PA or to Detroit to visit aunts/uncles/grandparents. Some from both sides of the family moved to CA, never to be seen by us again. My PA cousins moved to AZ and TX. My four siblings and parents are all still in NE OH. Chance and couousity have brought me to eastern MD. There has never been a big Adaptor family reunion

Brother and his family in small-town New Hampshire.
    Mother in college town New Hampshire.
    Sister in the "Big D", Dallas, Texas.
    I'm in the Hoosier state just spittin' distance of ol' Kaintuck.

Mom's the founder of the family wanderlust. Born and raised in Denmark (she's still a Danish national), she came here after WWII and lived in very briefly in east-central Indiana, New York City, and for most of her life where we were raised -- The Garden State.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I have a very small family. My mum and dad were only children, so no aunts/uncles/cousins and all my grandparents have died.

So that leaves my mum and dad, and my two brothers. My mum and dad still live near Cambridge, where I grew up. My oldest brother lives in (Hungarian) Romania (he's lived all over though- New Hampshire, the UAE, Italy, Portugal, Thailand, Turkey). My middle brother fairly recently moved back to England from Kazakstan, and now lives about 20 miles from my mum and dad.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 42
    Last post: 07 Apr 2010, 9:28 AM
  2. Attracting families to cities
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 09 Mar 2007, 2:47 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 15 Aug 2005, 3:16 PM
  4. Aid for 9/11victims families