Bears beltway thread made me think of this..something a bit out-of-place in Ohio.

Folks usually think of defense spending & "the military-industrial complex" in the context of places like Colorado Springs, the "Aerospace Alley" near LA, the Palmdale complex, Northern Viriginia...essentially in a sunbelt context.

Yet, 40% of the Air Forces budget is run out of the Rustbelt, out of Dayton, Ohio...

$2B annually in defense spending is pumped into the Dayton metro economy via payroll, goods, services, and related private sector defense contractor work. This is equivilant to the fading local too/die/moldmaking industry, so defense spending is becoming even more important to Dayton.

This big economic pump has led to the developement of a defense-oriented "edge city" gowing up around Wright-Patterson AFB (WPAFB) and adjacent Wright State University (WSU)....which includes alot of retail for the defense workers...the Fairfield Commons Mall and related retail & food services is sort of indirectly subsidized by the defense budget....

From the air it looks like this.* You can see I-675, and Colonel Glenn Highway, the diagonal parallelling I-675 just to the north.

For further orientation here is the same aeriel, labled.* The three big features in this "edge city" is WPAFB, the Wright State University campus (a portion of which used to WPAFBs "Area D", and Fairfield Commons mall.* Some other features are the developement of strip centers along Fairfield Road heading south, the Nutter Center arena, and some big box retail, including a Walmart/Sams Club complex, with mini-strip centers and fast food.

"
SAIC's national security efforts reach across all branches of the military and support the full spectrum of military operations from peace keeping and humanitarian missions to major conflicts. SAIC also helps the Department of Defense, the FBI, and other agencies combat terrorism, cybercrime, and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

Whether helping the U.S. Army develop systems to enhance night vision capabilities, helping the Air Force train far-flung units worldwide via the Internet, or helping the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command achieve seamless, secure multimedia connectivity for Navy ship and shore communications, SAIC's technical expertise enables U.S. forces to be safer and smarter."

A local landmark

Another local landmark

I-675

more offices..no..wait...thats WSUs engineering school.* Get a degree and cross the street to go to work:

"Northrop Grumman Corporation is a global defense company headquartered in Los Angeles, Calif. Northrop Grumman provides technologically advanced, innovative products, services and solutions in systems integration, defense electronics, information technology, advanced aircraft, shipbuilding and space technology. With more than 125,000 employees, and operations in all 50 states and 25 countries, Northrop Grumman serves U.S. and international military, government and commercial customers.
"

img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Jeff59c/Fairfield%20Commons/Spec.jpg[/img]

Again, next to the interstate:

"With more than 40 years of experience, CSC is a leader in delivering end-to-end technology and business solutions to the Aerospace & Defense industry....
...On March 7, 2003, CSC completed its acquisition of DynCorp, a large federal government contractor with extensive experience in the A&D industry. The DynCorp acquisition expands CSC's offerings in areas such as Aviation Services, Base Operations, Logistics Support Services and Range Technical Services"

The Holiday Inn is the tallest building in the area (not counting the two landmark structures posted upthread)

Perfect Blue Buildings
Asleep in perfect blue buildings
Beside the green apple sea
Gonna get me a little oblivion
Try to keep myself away from myself and me

I got bones beneath my skin, and mister...
There's a skeleton in every man's house
Beneath the dust and love and sweat that hangs on everybody
There's a dead man trying to get out
Please help me stay awake, I'm falling...

Asleep in perfect blue buildings
Beside the green apple sea
Gonna get me a little oblivion baby
Try to keep myself away from me"

...Counting Crows

WSU from the parking lot of the perfect blue buildings...WSU is best known for its film school & groundwater sciences dept.

OSU has "High Street".* WSU has this strip center.* There is even a college bookstore here

The Nutter Center. Daytons biggest concert/entertainment/sports venue.*

... some quick pix from the Fairfield Mall area...I think thats a Marriott on the corner...

So I say, I say welcome, welcome to the boomtown
pick a habit we got plenty to go around
welcome to the boomtown
and all that money makes such a succulent sound
welcome to the boomtown

...the mall....
...and, across from the mall...the Acropolis.