• other. Explain below

5 12.20%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleep positions

Registered
    Feb 2004

Sleep positions

I once read an article about sleep positions and it listed the normal stomach, side, back but also had some less common ones like 'fetal' (curled up in ball), 'sphynx' (face down with knees drawn up), 'swastika' (on side but with arms and legs splayed in all directions)
    What position do you tend to sleep in? And what if you have a back ache?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Usually on my side, unless I am having a hard time getting to sleep, then I have to sleep on my stomach. I don't know why that works.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I am somewhere between side, stomach, and rolling stone.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    In my dreams I am sleeping on my back.
    When I can't sleep I toss and turn.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    On my stomach....best dreams on my back but then I snore (or so I'm told)....we'll see.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Start on side and then roll to stomach and stay there until morning.

Works for me...
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    May 2003
    Always on my side. I can't imagine sleeping on my stomach. How uncomfortable.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I fall asleep on my side and am on my back when I wake.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Prefer to sleep on my stomach. I can fall asleep on my back but it just doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally posted by kms
    Me too. But, I'm always on the right hand side of the bed. If we're staying someplace away from home and Mrs. G gets that side of the bed I'm in for a long, tossing and turning night
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Always on my side. I can't imagine sleeping on my stomach. How uncomfortable.
    Same here. There is an old saying: 'a king sleeps on his back, a rich man on his stomach and a wise man on his side'. Mrs. Maister says there's no wisdom in it for her, though, to sleep on her side because she always cuts off the circulation in her arms that way . I'm surprised at the number of stomach sleepers here, seems like the most uncomfortable position possible to me. You're either suffocating or twisting your neck off to one side. Talk about neck pain in the morning...
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kms
    Same here.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    generally, on the side for me. But I can easily fall asleep on my back when I'm really tired.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    "all of the above" for me. I start on one side, then switch to the other. Then I end up on my stomach when I get too hot after being curled up to the wife. At some point I end up on my back, where I do most of my dreaming.

For some reason I did not sleep very well at all last night.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Stomach sleeping makes my lower back ache. I hate falling asleep in that position. I'm almost always a back sleeper or side sleeper. Only on my left side though.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Side sleeper, with pillows tucked up under my neck and head, so I don't have a pain in the neck come morning. Can sleep on my back when I'm really tired, but I've been told I toss and turn more if I start out on my back.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I fall asleep on my stomach but toss and turn so much through the night I can't realy pin point one position..(it usually invovles a little bitty foot in my rib or my head ) The little ones have pretty much taken over my bed.
    Since my should has been hurt I have been sleeping on my back...I wish I could sleep like that all the time because it does hurt my neck to sleep on my stomach with my head turned to one side.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am definitely a side sleeper. I can always tell if during the night I slept on my stomach because my back hurts.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I usually try the side at first and end up that in the mornings mostly. But sometime I wake up on my stomach with my arm underneath me, completely asleep (the arm that is), I mean my arm has no feeliung or movement whatsoever... I wonder if that is bad.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 1997

Whatever

I generally have to contort myself into some odd position so I can fit into whatever space my wife, my son, and our two beagles have left on the bed. (Not all the time, but the bed does get crowded when she invites everyone onto our bed.)

Anyone else have to squeeze themselves into whatever is left?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I always fall asleep on my side, spooning against a big pillow (unless sleeping with the significant other!). Not really sure of the position when I wake up, because I am too busy slamming the snooze button on the alarm!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    Anyone else have to squeeze themselves into whatever is left?[/FONT][/SIZE]
    I did that when the kids were 2 and 4 (or something like that). Then we bought a king sized bed. Now, I have teens who won't so much as hug me, hubby is moving out, and I sleep completely alone.

To elaborate earlier on what I said about my sleep position, I sleep in a 3/4 position, partway between side and stomach, with one leg straight and the other bent. I toss and turn from one side to the other during the night, replicating the mirror-image position when I turn to the other side -- ie when I lay partly on my right side, my left leg is bent and my right one is straight and when I switch to the other side, my right leg is bent and my left leg is straight. I think I sleep in that position because it puts the least stress on my respiratory system. I don't do well laying fully on my stomach nor fully on my side. I sometimes nap on my back but don't sleep that way during the night.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Me too. But, I'm always on the right hand side of the bed. If we're staying someplace away from home and Mrs. G gets that side of the bed I'm in for a long, tossing and turning night
    That is the more important question, left side of the bed or right side of the bed? Sleeping in a queen sized bed alone, no concern. I move around alot.

Others to ponder east-west alignment in the room or north-south?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Back sleeper only when I am "three sheets to the wind." Otherwise my night just spins.
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    Anyone else have to squeeze themselves into whatever is left?
    Oh, yeah. I know that feeling all too well. My son wakes up in the middle of the night, gets between us, then ends up with his head on my wife and his feet in my back. His stuffed dog is under my shoulder or against me neck. It is okay. I can sleep when I am dead
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. How much sleep to you get at night?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 02 Dec 2013, 10:04 AM
  2. Talking in their sleep
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 9:58 AM